Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Dec 22, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #1,967 of 3,339

Quote:
Eagerly anticipating the statement DAC. Got money set aside for it already.

Same here; partially thanks to you, I have a Dark Star on the way now, and I need a good balanced DAC.  Anedio's revised D1 (if they still call it that) keeps getting delayed, and the value proposition for Schiit's statement seems too good to pass up for around a grand.  Can't wait to hear more news about it.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,968 of 3,339

Quote:

Schiit landscape on my desk. Headphones hidden, it's a HD650. Sounds just terrific. :)

Where did you get those feet? I'd love something like that, albeit a bit smaller and not as high.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,969 of 3,339
Search eBay for 'isolation cones'

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #1,972 of 3,339

Quote:
I came up with this

I didn't know eBay sold movie posters. 
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,974 of 3,339

Quote:
How much money? 
wink.gif

I haven't heard the DACMagic, but I'd always thought it would be a pretty decent DAC for the price. That is, when I read Skylab's review of the Bifrost and how well it performed for $450 I thought there probably isn't any competition going on there...

The DacMagic was a great Dac for the price.  Running it balanced (one less opamp in the balanced out compared to the standard outputs) and removing the output caps made a significant improvement in transparency and micro dynamics  On the other hand, dacs have rally improved in the last couple years.  I have a Bifrost on order, it will be interesting to see how it stacks up to my slightly modded DacMagic.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,977 of 3,339
^ I like my AudioQuest Forest usb. 

If anything it's well built.

M

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,978 of 3,339

Quote:

As to Kate, sferic, she is wonderfully served by the Bifrost. She used to play with her vocals the way a cat plays wioth a trapped mouse, and this DAC makes the result not just bearable but enjoyable. (i.e. The Dreaming.) Just listened to the second disc of Aeriel and revelled in the detailed presentation, the bass and the way I could easily understand what was being sung and played.

And when it comes to 50 Words for Snow, Dirge is the word that comes to mind. I keep meaning to play it again, but having to pysch myself up to do so, well that says something right there. Guess what they say about pilots (there are old, and bold, but no old bold) applies to rock stars as well. A friend says if he doesn't immediately take to an album he just puts it on repeat for a few days until he gets used to it. Shades of Clockwork Orange. I say why bother.

Agreed. Another poster here said "there's nothing controversial about near universal acclaim" with regard to 50 Words. (Not so sure the acclaim is "near universal", I mean, we're talking KATE BUSH, but I'll grant him that for the sake of argument.) And then seemed to imply only "the masses" might not like it. I'm thinking quite the opposite. As someone who played a promo copy of her first album "The Kick Inside" on Pacifica Radio in the 70's relentlessly when I had a radio show, and then followed her every move for almost 35 years, I don't think I (or you) are "the masses". I'm glad Kate is reaching a lot of people with this album! Make no mistake, my admiration for her is unconditional. There is stuff she's done that I didn't like before as well. Kate's not for everybody, and all her work is not for all her admirers. Her fans know not to expect to love every thing she does. Maybe that's why we love her so much, she doesn't stick to formula well, and has never, ever catered to "the masses" for bucks.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,979 of 3,339
I meant "near universal acclaim" with respect to published music criticism of her most recent album, which would truly be the only way one could learn much about what many thought to be noteworthy work. Kate Bush is certainly not pop or even mainstream, however, and so it would be difficult to get an overall feel about what the masses think, beyond a sporadic amazon.com review or two. My apologies for the confusion. No one that I know personally can accurately comment on her work, given that she isn't on their radar. So while Bush may not be obscure, widespread popularity is likely not imminent. But therefore nor will be public disdain for any of her works. You would have to be better known (and way less talented) to achieve this.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,980 of 3,339
Added the Bifrost to my chain today... and I'm speechless.
L3000.gif
 I expected the high level of detail and clarity but not the beauty in reproduction. Just blown away. So smooth yet detailed. Makes the MS+/DacPort LX/HDP look bad, really bad. Even after just a few hours of burn it the sound is starting to really open up and the brightness is being tamed and the bottom end is filling up. Bifrost arrived today (Satruday): Santa (Jason) came through before the end of 2011. I'm already saving up for the statement DAC/AMP combo from Schiit. You guys are seriously awesome.
biggrin.gif
 I love you guys (hug)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back