Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 12, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #916 of 3,339

Quote:
Pish overnight shipping what a waste of money 
rolleyes.gif
 gotta love how fedex ground shipping takes only 1 day to deliver me the item.

Hate to rain on your parade but someone is listening to a new DAC right now and someone else isn't.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #918 of 3,339
I agree with your comments about the DacMagic. It is great for what it is, but shimmery is a great word to use. Hoping I experience a similar change you have when my Bifrost arrives.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #921 of 3,339

Quote:
Got mine today.  I was about the 20th order placed on Day 1.  Lest everyone start to wonder, I sent in a prepaid overnight shipping label.  You didn't get skipped.

To set the stage a bit, I have relatively limited experience with DACs.  Up to now, I have had the Dacmagic and the Cobra D10 units.  Both were a decent improvement over the Squeezebox internal DACs.

With just a few hours on it, I can say that the Bifrost is significantly better than the Dacmagic.  The primary quality that I notice is a much larger sense of space and soundstage.  This observation is made using HD600 headphones and the Asgard amp - a combination that I have been using for 7 months in conjunction with the Dacmagic.  The sound of the Bifrost is, to use a cliche, 'organic'.  Nothing calls attention to itself, but everything sounds alive.  By comparison, the Dacmagic was a bit 'shimmery' in a way that is dazzling at first but wears badly over the hours.  

Physically, the Bifrost is identical to the Asgard with the exception of the volume knob.  The two look great together.  And for those of you interested in heat output, the Bifrost runs just warm - like you would expect from a unit with electricity running through it.  By comparison to the egg-fryer (Asgard), it is positively cool.

I am not sure how much break-in will factor in on the Bifrost.  But I have reference recordings, as we all do, that will help me to accurately assess changes over the hours.

Based on this extremely limited session, I can assure you that I am saving for the Statement product to use in my listening room!

Great impressions, sigh, the wait for the Statement DAC is going to take forever.

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #922 of 3,339
Thanks David for your initial impressions.  I am order 157 but with USB so will likely ship within the next week.  But your comments on the sound quality will at least help tide me over for a few more days.  My previous Dac was the DacMagic so I am very excited to hear and see the Bifrost sitting under the Lyr.  

Would it be childish to ask for a picture of the Bifrost and Asgard together?  
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #923 of 3,339

Quote:
Got mine today.  I was about the 20th order placed on Day 1.  Lest everyone start to wonder, I sent in a prepaid overnight shipping label.  You didn't get skipped.

To set the stage a bit, I have relatively limited experience with DACs.  Up to now, I have had the Dacmagic and the Cobra D10 units.  Both were a decent improvement over the Squeezebox internal DACs.

With just a few hours on it, I can say that the Bifrost is significantly better than the Dacmagic.  The primary quality that I notice is a much larger sense of space and soundstage.  This observation is made using HD600 headphones and the Asgard amp - a combination that I have been using for 7 months in conjunction with the Dacmagic.  The sound of the Bifrost is, to use a cliche, 'organic'.  Nothing calls attention to itself, but everything sounds alive.  By comparison, the Dacmagic was a bit 'shimmery' in a way that is dazzling at first but wears badly over the hours.  

Physically, the Bifrost is identical to the Asgard with the exception of the volume knob.  The two look great together.  And for those of you interested in heat output, the Bifrost runs just warm - like you would expect from a unit with electricity running through it.  By comparison to the egg-fryer (Asgard), it is positively cool.

I am not sure how much break-in will factor in on the Bifrost.  But I have reference recordings, as we all do, that will help me to accurately assess changes over the hours.

Based on this extremely limited session, I can assure you that I am saving for the Statement product to use in my listening room!

Good..... tell me David, do you think we can put the Bifrost under the Asgard without problems ????

I want to use the Asgard I have to listen to movies without disturbing anyone..... I'll get my new Bluray player this Friday, and if the Dac is so-so, I will strongly consider buying a Bifrost....except that I would have to put it under the Asgard.... Just want to make sure it's feasible....

Or maybe Jason could answer this...

Denys

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #924 of 3,339

Quote:
Good..... tell me David, do you think we can put the Bifrost under the Asgard without problems ????

I want to use the Asgard I have to listen to movies without disturbing anyone..... I'll get my new Bluray player this Friday, and if the Dac is so-so, I will strongly consider buying a Bifrost....except that I would have to put it under the Asgard.... Just want to make sure it's feasible....

Or maybe Jason could answer this...

Denys 

I never did attach the rubber knobs to the bottom of the Asgard.  As such, it is absolutely flat on the bottom.  When I set up the Bifrost yesterday, I put the Asgard directly on top of it, providing contact across the top/bottom of the components.  The Bifrost absorbed quite a lot of the Asgard heat.  Next, I put a couple of my kids' wooden building blocks between them and there was no problem at all.  If pressed, I'd say that the little rubber feet that come with the Asgard would be enough to eliminate most of the heat transfer.

That is a long way of saying 'Go ahead.  Just make sure there is a small bit of space between them.'

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #929 of 3,339
A Bifrost/Lyr vs 10SE comparison would certainly be interesting. From the NFB10 and NFB10SE threads it seems the Lyr and 10SE (even single-ended) are pretty close in performance; so mayb​e the DAC comparison would be quite revealing about the bifrost...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back