Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #901 of 3,339
Has anyone gotten their bifrost yet?  Any prelim impressions?

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #902 of 3,339
Shipping out middle of next week so no.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #903 of 3,339
Some people who ordered early without USB should have had theirs ship on Friday. I am hanging out. My home rig has gone from having the choice of a matrix and DacMagic down to now having to use my iBasso d12 as the DAC. The Bifrost will be a big improvement. I am looking forward to comparing the optical and USB inputs. Because I use a Mac as source I don't really have a coax output. This means that I can output 192 via pure music software upsampling but only 96 via optical.

Let the feedback and reviews commence.

:)

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #905 of 3,339

Quote:
Some people who ordered early without USB should have had theirs ship on Friday. I am hanging out. My home rig has gone from having the choice of a matrix and DacMagic down to now having to use my iBasso d12 as the DAC. The Bifrost will be a big improvement. I am looking forward to comparing the optical and USB inputs. Because I use a Mac as source I don't really have a coax output. This means that I can output 192 via pure music software upsampling but only 96 via optical.
Let the feedback and reviews commence.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't think schiit has shipped out all of the non-USB version yet  :[ Still waiting on my  trackcing 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #906 of 3,339
Yah I ordered the morning the pre-order opened, w/o USB, and mine hasn't shipped yet. Can't wait to ditch the D10 from my desktop rig
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #907 of 3,339
Has anyone gotten a shipping notification??

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #911 of 3,339
At least you wont have long to wait. 
gs1000.gif

People should start receiving their non usb units about now.  Cant wait for the initial thoughts and reviews.  Will hopefully have mine in a week too.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #912 of 3,339
Got mine today.  I was about the 20th order placed on Day 1.  Lest everyone start to wonder, I sent in a prepaid overnight shipping label.  You didn't get skipped.

To set the stage a bit, I have relatively limited experience with DACs.  Up to now, I have had the Dacmagic and the Cobra D10 units.  Both were a decent improvement over the Squeezebox internal DACs.

With just a few hours on it, I can say that the Bifrost is significantly better than the Dacmagic.  The primary quality that I notice is a much larger sense of space and soundstage.  This observation is made using HD600 headphones and the Asgard amp - a combination that I have been using for 7 months in conjunction with the Dacmagic.  The sound of the Bifrost is, to use a cliche, 'organic'.  Nothing calls attention to itself, but everything sounds alive.  By comparison, the Dacmagic was a bit 'shimmery' in a way that is dazzling at first but wears badly over the hours.  

Physically, the Bifrost is identical to the Asgard with the exception of the volume knob.  The two look great together.  And for those of you interested in heat output, the Bifrost runs just warm - like you would expect from a unit with electricity running through it.  By comparison to the egg-fryer (Asgard), it is positively cool.

I am not sure how much break-in will factor in on the Bifrost.  But I have reference recordings, as we all do, that will help me to accurately assess changes over the hours.

Based on this extremely limited session, I can assure you that I am saving for the Statement product to use in my listening room!

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #913 of 3,339
^ great to hear. nice impressions.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #914 of 3,339
Pish overnight shipping what a waste of money 
rolleyes.gif
 gotta love how fedex ground shipping takes only 1 day to deliver me the item.

Hopefully Schiit can ship it out by the end of the week :[. Sold my nfb-12 to make room for the Biforst and now my Lyr and LCD2 is all lonely.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #915 of 3,339
^ coolio
cool.gif

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back