Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #948 of 3,339
My Bifrost (non-USB) just got shipped. The delay in shipping has caused me to make some changes in my plans so it is very likely that I am going to end up selling it here pretty soon but I just had to listen to and see what it sounds like. So be on the look out if you want a non-USB Bifrost. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #949 of 3,339
Mine (#56) just got shipped (non-USB)

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #951 of 3,339
Got mine today. It powers on just fine but otherwise it's not working. At least, the optical input doesn't appear to be working. I've tested it with two computers (iMac and MacBook Pro) along with two different optical cables. I'm unable to test the coaxial input. Correct input is selected on the Bifrost and sound settings are correct on the computers.

Not looking for help -- just wanted to let everyone know in case someone else has the same issue. And btw, I've already contacted Schiit. It IS pretty though :)

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #952 of 3,339
Jason got back to me quick!! Within 30 minutes actually. Looks like I'm just gonna have to return it for another (probably an early failure). No biggie -- I'm going on vacation for a few days anyway.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #953 of 3,339
Mine is sitting on my doorstep waiting for me to get home! And no I won't tell you where I live :p

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #954 of 3,339
As I have limited time before early bed to catch flight for RMAF, my very early impressions are right out of the box, but were still quite an eye opener. They echo David's comparison with the DacMagic. I've always felt the DacMagic was good, but rough and the first violin bow stroke told me all I needed to know in my decision between the 2 DACs. I've only had my DacMagic with no other DAC to compare with until now, and thought that there was probably not much if any differences between them. I need more time to see if the Bifrost has negative side effects, but the initial impressions are that it is VERY smooth and has good clarity, it just has a clean sound which was missing on the DacMagic. Passages that used to make my cringe slightly on my DacMagic are effortlessly played with the Bifrost. Soundstage depth seems improved, width slightly. Positioning and separation appear to be similar. As David mentioned it just feels more alive. Looking forward to putting much more time on this.

Now I gotta dash off and get a few errands run and pack. :frowning2:

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #955 of 3,339

Quote:
As I have limited time before early bed to catch flight for RMAF, my very early impressions are right out of the box, but were still quite an eye opener. They echo David's comparison with the DacMagic. I've always felt the DacMagic was good, but rough and the first violin bow stroke told me all I needed to know in my decision between the 2 DACs. I've only had my DacMagic with no other DAC to compare with until now, and thought that there was probably not much if any differences between them. I need more time to see if the Bifrost has negative side effects, but the initial impressions are that it is VERY smooth and has good clarity, it just has a clean sound which was missing on the DacMagic. Passages that used to make my cringe slightly on my DacMagic are effortlessly played with the Bifrost. Soundstage depth seems improved, width slightly. Positioning and separation appear to be similar. As David mentioned it just feels more alive. Looking forward to putting much more time on this.
Now I gotta dash off and get a few errands run and pack.
frown.gif

Bifrost impressions sounding good so far, hopefully you can spend some more time with your new DAC when you get back. Its great to see some companies like Schiit still  make decently priced items unlike certain other companies, cough (a certain planar magnetic company) cough.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #957 of 3,339
Just received mine:  Initial impressions follow same suit as others.  I was previously using a nuforce uDac2.  With the Bifrost, there's definitely some micro details coming out that I have not heard before -- with some added spacial-ness (if that's a word) and better separation of instruments.  I've got to head back to work from lunch, but am letting the Bifrost burn in with my ripped ALAC copy of Isotek burn-in tracks.  I'll post more info along with my other gear in use tonight or tomorrow. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #960 of 3,339

Using Optical connection here and yes, it does make a clicking noise when a signal is input/when I begin playing music, but only then, not when switching tracks.  I suspect you are playing music files that are at different sample rates possibly, and when you go from track to track, there's some internal clock switching going on -- Schiit indicated they are using a special clock system that doesn't upsample which I suspect is the 'clicking' sound you are hearing... this is from their site:

Advanced Bitperfect Clock Management

The ugly truth about most DACs in this price range is that they sacrifice every single one of your original music samples to get their magic "192kHz" spec. Every input is routed through a sample rate converter and upsampled to 24/192. Bifrost dispenses with the sample rate converter and uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC, preserving all the original music samples--whether it's 16/44.1 or 24/192.

I believe some Home Theater Audio/Video Receivers do this today... they have the same clicking effect when DVDs/Blurays change sample/bit rates (for example when going from the 2-channel "menu/title/chapter select" tracks at 44.1k to the actual movie playback at 96k).  

Still going to let mine burn in more though before I post a follow up review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back