Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Sep 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #768 of 3,339
I was a bit surprised to see Schiit recommend using a mobo's SPDIF-out. It was my understanding that, from a "bit-perfect" perspective, using the SPDIF-out on most motherboards would sort of muddy that possibility, given that, to my understanding, the built-in audio processor (e.g. Realtek) on the mobo handled the output of the SPDIF-out, which you're usually trying to bypass when using WASAPI or ASIO. I realize that Schiit is using a fairly advanced SPDIF receiver section, but again wouldn't most SPDIF out put the mobo's audio chip more prominently in the signal path than if you used USB?

Also, to echo what someone just posted, it seems like (subjectively) a lot of people are finding the best SQ to come from USB -> SPDIF converters rather than just USB -> DAC directly or SPDIF -> DAC directly. The Stello U3 comes to mind as getting lots of accolades recently, or even something like the Musical Fidelity V-Link. Doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense, but there you have it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #769 of 3,339

Quote:
Actually, it's now 2 USB's and a Thunderbolt port. 

Argh! They keep changing 
angry_face.gif

It's good to see that second USB port though 
devil_face.gif

Quote:
I'm really not sure I buy into the whole USB>SPDIF converter idea.  How does that remove any potential USB limitations?  

Mainly by changing the clock from internal/adaptive to external/asynch, but it doesn't improve all DACs, just the ones with poor or no USB implementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by internethandle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, to echo what someone just posted, it seems like (subjectively) a lot of people are finding the best SQ to come from USB -> SPDIF converters rather than just USB -> DAC directly or SPDIF -> DAC directly.

That's my (subjective 
smile.gif
) experience as well.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #770 of 3,339

Quote:

Mainly by changing the clock from internal/adaptive to external/asynch, but it doesn't improve all DACs, just the ones with poor or no USB implementation.

So basically there are only two real situations where the USB>SPDIF converter makes any sense.

1-You don't have a DAC with USB input, asynchronous or otherwise.
2-You don't want a DAC with USB input, asynchronous or otherwise.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #771 of 3,339

Quote:

So basically there are only two real situations where the USB>SPDIF converter makes any sense.

Not true.

Not all DACs with async USB input performs the same, just like not all USB/SPDIF converters that sports async will work equally well.

There are just too many other factors such as the implementation, the clock used, the cleanness of the power and etc.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #772 of 3,339

Quote:

3-The USB input on your DAC could be improved upon (my situation).
4-You are using your soundcard's spdif output, which could be improved upon.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #773 of 3,339

Quote:
3-The USB input on your DAC could be improved upon (my situation).
4-You are using your soundcard's spdif output, which could be improved upon.

Well 3 was meant to fall into 1 but I worded it ambiguously.  

So a $300 USB/SPDIF converter is better than a better $300 card w/ better outputs?  I think it's about time to get digital in the sound science forum.  It seems there is way too much taken on faith or misunderstanding about the binary world, myself included.  This is really unacceptable and is either overdue or needs to be rehashed.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #774 of 3,339

Quote:
Well 3 was meant to fall into 1 but I worded it ambiguously.  

So a $300 USB/SPDIF converter is better than a better $300 card w/ better outputs?  I think it's about time to get digital in the sound science forum.  It seems there is way too much taken on faith or misunderstanding about the binary world, myself included.  This is really unacceptable and is either overdue or needs to be rehashed.

I don't know the answer to that, actually I don't even think that's a fair question as there are way too many variables involved. $300 is a lot for a soundcard, but is pretty middle of the road for an external converter.

But yeah, if my soundcard sucked I would look into getting an external converter rather than upgrading my soundcard but that's just me.

It's not a "direct hit" on this subject, but here's a pretty good (imo) current thread on digital audio in the SS forum: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571259/hi-rez-another-myth-exploded

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #775 of 3,339
I was a bit surprised to see Schiit recommend using a mobo's SPDIF-out. It was my understanding that, from a "bit-perfect" perspective, using the SPDIF-out on most motherboards would sort of muddy that possibility, given that, to my understanding, the built-in audio processor (e.g. Realtek) on the mobo handled the output of the SPDIF-out, which you're usually trying to bypass when using WASAPI or ASIO. I realize that Schiit is using a fairly advanced SPDIF receiver section, but again wouldn't most SPDIF out put the mobo's audio chip more prominently in the signal path than if you used USB?

Where did you see this recommendation?

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #776 of 3,339

Quote:

It's not a "direct hit" on this subject, but here's a pretty good (imo) current thread on digital audio in the SS forum: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571259/hi-rez-another-myth-exploded

Yeah, I'm post #3.  
wink.gif
  I think there needs to be a digital compendium.  Digital is orders of magnitude more complex and varied than Analog yet everyone runs around shouting "It's just 1's and 0's!"  

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #777 of 3,339
I think Schiit said their USB module is as good as USB can get. So we can just play safe and get the USB module instead of doing magic :p

But those Creative x-Fi (i know are not in the same league) sounds too tempting with optical and 5.1 output :p

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #778 of 3,339

Quote:
Where did you see this recommendation?

"If you have a Windows desktop, most decent sound cards and many motherboards have SPDIF coax or optical." http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-bifrost/

Even with realtek mobo, shouldn't you still be able to use the out with KS, bypassing any onboard sbd management?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm post #3.  
wink.gif
  I think there needs to be a digital compendium.  Digital is orders of magnitude more complex and varied than Analog yet everyone runs around shouting "It's just 1's and 0's!"  

Analog is just sine waves! :)

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #779 of 3,339
I plan on using the the bifrost as a sound card in itself and doing the optical straight off the opitical from an on board port on the motherboard- anything lost in quality should be negligible and unnoticeable… hopefully.

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #780 of 3,339
Quote:
Why not get a really nice USB --> S/PDIF convertor??

For example:

http://www.audiophilleo.com/

I can attest to the quality of the Audiophilleo1.  I think Currawong has one as well.  I'm running it out of a Vaunix Lab Brick USB hub.

I was going from laptop to Cary Xciter DAC USB port prior to getting the AP1.  I find it to be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the cost.  YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back