Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Sep 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #751 of 3,339
Is there ANY way to get quality sound out of a laptop that doesn't have optical out? It's a shame USB can't compare to SPDIF

If you have a MacBook or MacBook pro then you already have a built in optical out. Its located inside the headphone jack. You need to use an optical cable with a mini toslink end.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #752 of 3,339
With all of the different expresscard plug ins available today, it's a shame there isn't a simple expresscard34 -> digital audio out card floating around out there. You can get  expresscard plug-ins for old serial and parallel ports, for hooking up 3 e-sata ports at once, or multiple usb-3 ports (When there is currently almost no usb3 hardware floating around), but no digital audio out? Someone cut us PC users a break. I couldn't afford to drop 1700 on my school computer (especially since hardware wise, my Sony out-performed it. I won't argue software wise because some people like mac, and some like windows, different strokes for different folks), but it would be lovely to have a simple, affordable solution.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #753 of 3,339

Quote:
If you have a MacBook or MacBook pro then you already have a built in optical out. Its located inside the headphone jack. You need to use an optical cable with a mini toslink end.

All Macs have optical audio output, not just the laptops.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #755 of 3,339
Sep 12, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #757 of 3,339

Quote:
MacBook Air does not have optical out.

Thanks, I forgot how neutered that thing is; just a single USB port, analog audio out, and the new micro-DVI port. Apparently they even dropped the Kensington cable lock slot.

Quote:
Correctomundo! What a blatant rip-off.

While Toslink is ubiquitous, there are a couple of other digital audio options for the Air: 

"The miniDisplayPort can carry digital audio, which isn't the case with some other older Macs with MiniDisplayPort.  Also in the System Profiler you'll find in 'Audio' that HDMI can be used for audio."

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #758 of 3,339

Quote:

Thanks, I forgot how neutered that thing is; just a single USB port, analog audio out, and the new micro-DVI port. Apparently they even dropped the Kensington cable lock slot.

Actually, it's now 2 USB's and a Thunderbolt port. 

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #759 of 3,339

Ah! I didn't even think about that, getting an HDMI -> Toslink or Coax connector! This should work with windows 7 too I presume. The question is: would HDMI audio be any better than USB?
Quote:

"The miniDisplayPort can carry digital audio, which isn't the case with some other older Macs with MiniDisplayPort.  Also in the System Profiler you'll find in 'Audio' that HDMI can be used for audio."

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #763 of 3,339
Sep 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #764 of 3,339
I'm really not sure I buy into the whole USB>SPDIF converter idea.  How does that remove any potential USB limitations?  

Also, for the record, I've heard optical implementations from a Macbook, Thinkpad using an Expresscard, my PC, UHA6S and a PWD.  They do not all sound the same.  I'll refrain from ranking anything to avoid a flamewar but as with anything IME the implemetation is what really matters.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #765 of 3,339
I had tried many ways and the best sound is still via a good USB/SPDIF converter. The SQ from the optical output of my Macbook Pro is worse than direct USB input onto my DAC (the USB implementation on my DAC is nothing fantastic either).

I will think that adding the USD100 for an USB module onto Bifrost, even if the USB module cannot compete with a good USB/SPDIF converter, will represent good value for money for those using computer audio. For the best of the best, high-end USB/SPDIF converter will still be the way to go in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back