Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Sep 6, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #721 of 3,339
Watchu been smokin cracky?
Buried somewhere in the last 49 pages, I believe they said that they dont do unbuntu.

Go back and read post #462. Are ya USB 2.0 compliant? If so, you may be in luck.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #722 of 3,339

Oh where, oh where has my bifrost gone, oh where, oh where can it be?

J/k of course, but some of you may get the reference lol. Ive been ignoring headfi a lot more and more specifically this thread while waiting for my prized bifrost. Didnt get any shipping info on it so I checked the thread only to find it wont ship until the end of the month. No biggie but darn hehe. I sure am looking forward to it.

[size=12.0pt]Thanks Jason for all the info you give us, its far more than most of the competition. Read up entirely on the thread today and you are absolutely on top of everything.[/size]

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #723 of 3,339
I have actually emailed them sometime ago, but they didn't have a definite answer, and was hoping they have updated the status of it by now. But it's ok, I guess they are too busy with their projects.

Ubuntu with a RT kernel sounds so much better than windows/mac/hackintosh, and thus really do hope some head-fi users can confirm it would work under ubuntu/voyage without any glitches when it is released. as you guys know, linux is quite annoying to mess with. 

thanks

Quote:
Watchu been smokin cracky?
Buried somewhere in the last 49 pages, I believe they said that they dont do unbuntu.

Go back and read post #462. Are ya USB 2.0 compliant? If so, you may be in luck.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #724 of 3,339

Quote:
I have actually emailed them sometime ago, but they didn't have a definite answer, and was hoping they have updated the status of it by now. But it's ok, I guess they are too busy with their projects.

Ubuntu with a RT kernel sounds so much better than windows/mac/hackintosh, and thus really do hope some head-fi users can confirm it would work under ubuntu/voyage without any glitches when it is released. as you guys know, linux is quite annoying to mess with. 

thanks

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, but Linux has many distros that are VERY user-friendly. It's kind of a shame that the name is synonymous with "difficult to use" when in fact it's now more accessible than ever.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #725 of 3,339
I've asked in the amp forum and have had very little feedback either way on this...

I'm getting a bifrost to be my next headphone DAC/ soundcard. I'd really like to get into tubes and would also really like a schiit amp to match the DAC. As you can see from my signature, nearly all my cans are Audio-Technica's. A modded pair of W5000's, PRO5MK2's, and ESW9's. I understand this amp isn't reccomended for headphones that are under 32 ohms. All of my AT cans, last time I checked are somewhat higher impedance than that. Should I be all set with the Valhalla? I've read that it really mellows out some harsh trebles, and this would be great because the W5000's are guilty of that! … Or should I play it safe and go with the Asgard?

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #726 of 3,339
If it were me and auditions are impractical I would take the plunge and try the Valhalla. Worst case you could sell or return it to fund an Asgard.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #727 of 3,339
I've had several ATs, see my profile and didn't like them with tubes.  I would get the Asgard, as they are a good match for low impedance and from what I hear, on the warmer side.   Treble is slightly recessed. Even Jason, at Schiit recommends the Asgard with Grados so I'm sure it will be a good match for ATs.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #728 of 3,339
I should mention I have the Valhalla and slightly modded pair of the MS2i and I quite enjoy it. And like grokit said, Schitt has a 15 day return policy so you can "demo at home" as they put it

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #729 of 3,339
It seems that people are so split down the middle about this! Hopefully I can get some more feedback.

The MS2i is EXACTLY 32 ohms and you don't have any issues on your valhalla? That's pretty encouraging for my case! Do you find it warmer? Does it tame some of those harsher trebles that Grados (and some AT phones) are known to have? Someone had quoted Jason on this thread and said that they would "struggle". It's good to hear that the asgard is a warmer amp with a recessed treble, because if the Valhalla doesn't work out it sounds like it will be a great pairing with the W5000's.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #730 of 3,339

Quote:
I should mention I have the Valhalla and slightly modded pair of the MS2i and I quite enjoy it. And like grokit said, Schitt has a 15 day return policy so you can "demo at home" as they put it

I think you have to pay 5% to send it back though. But yeah, should still be worth it to get to test it out a bit.

What did you do to your MS2i? I have a pair also. Perhaps if you have the time you could PM me a link to your or the post about it or just tell me what you did. Dont want to throw this thread off its tracks.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #731 of 3,339
Does anyone know if the upcoming mid level DAC will have balanced and single ended output or only balanced output?

I think the "statement" dac is supposed to have both right?

A single ended and balanced output would be very useful to me...

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #732 of 3,339
both. quoting Jason from another thread:

"We'll have both 4-pin, 3-pin, and single-ended phono outs on both amps."

Quote:
Does anyone know if the upcoming mid level DAC will have balanced and single ended output or only balanced output?

I think the "statement" dac is supposed to have both right?

A single ended and balanced output would be very useful to me...

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #734 of 3,339
Thanks Hero. Will be good to have separate feedback and reviews on the different models. Will you combine the mid and statement amps and then do the same on the dacs or will you create four different threads?

The intermediate dac and amp should be formally announced soon in order to be preordered and delivered this year. Exciting stuff.

I will find it hard to resist the mid gear whilst awaiting the statement rig.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #735 of 3,339
Yea i read that, but I was asking about the DACs.  I suppose it wouldn't make sense to have a balanced dac => single/balanced amp, but whatever...

Nonetheless I emailed and Jason responded...

"Yep, the next DAC will have both single-ended and balanced outputs, not just the statement model.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder"

Hopefully, that wasn't privileged information or anything... lol
Quote:
both. quoting Jason from another thread:

"We'll have both 4-pin, 3-pin, and single-ended phono outs on both amps."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back