Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Aug 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #691 of 3,339
The rough estimates have been given at approximately $600-700 and $1000. Remember these are (very) rough estimates.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #692 of 3,339
Really looking forward to listening to the Bifrost.  Would love to go for the statement DAC, but:

- It's my first new DAC in 20 years (last one was a Mike Moffatt design as well) and I just can't hang on until March.  :)

- My wife is an avid HGTV watcher, so guess where she'd rather our money went?  $1000 is probably a bit much to go for all at once in the context of current ongoing home improvements and financing thereof.  An eventual trade-up of the Bifrost on the statement DAC might be more do-able, but I can't see the usefulness for Schiit of that kind of trade-up program.  (Yes, they might sell more statement DACs, but why saddle themselves with a bunch of used Bifrosts in order to do it?  And my personal finances aside, it's impossible to argue that's not a *very* reasonable price point for a high end DAC.)

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #693 of 3,339
Long as she designs a good listening room for you I guess its all good.

Quote:
Really looking forward to listening to the Bifrost.  Would love to go for the statement DAC, but:

- It's my first new DAC in 20 years (last one was a Mike Moffatt design as well) and I just can't hang on until March.  :)

- My wife is an avid HGTV watcher, so guess where she'd rather our money went?  $1000 is probably a bit much to go for all at once in the context of current ongoing home improvements and financing thereof.  An eventual trade-up of the Bifrost on the statement DAC might be more do-able, but I can't see the usefulness for Schiit of that kind of trade-up program.  (Yes, they might sell more statement DACs, but why saddle themselves with a bunch of used Bifrosts in order to do it?  And my personal finances aside, it's impossible to argue that's not a *very* reasonable price point for a high end DAC.)

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #694 of 3,339

Quote:
Long as she designs a good listening room for you I guess its all good.

Heh, guess who the designer is in the family?  Unfortunately I've got no artistic talent, but I did get hold of some software that let me "construct" our house on the computer.  It's a lot cheaper to move things around on a screen than while they're actually being built.  And I also had the advantage of having an architect friend to whom I'd fax screenshots and ask, "Have I made the house fall down yet?"

So the listening room's in place (cleverly disguised as the family room where my wife watches TV and movies), and everyone gets to enjoy the comfy sofa and good sound.  In fact the TV and the blu-ray player have toslink outputs, so if the Bifrost improves the sound of movies that will definitely help with the Wife Acceptance Factor.  (I'll have to put on something with Russell Crowe, she loves the guy.)

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #695 of 3,339
I think I read through much of what is posted at Head-fi about these forthcomming DACs from Schiit. There are lots of details about the technology, but I don't think I've seen a single word about it's intended sound signiture or Schiit's philosophy behind what sound they are going for.  For example, I wonder what is the intention with this first DAC; is Schiit going for a  revealing analytical studio engineer type sound or something more uh cozy and analog (sorry I don't know the correct audiophile terms maybe)?

Is Schiit sending out any early review samples to any of the fine reviewers here so that reviews will get out there before Sept. 30th? Otherwise I guess we will have to wait for the reviews as they trickle in after release.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #696 of 3,339
My preference ATM is for a musical-sounding DAC paired with analytical-sounding tubes.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #698 of 3,339
Yes, Skylab will be posting a review.

Quote:
Is Schiit sending out any early review samples to any of the fine reviewers here <snip>

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #700 of 3,339

Quote:

You've waited 20 years, and another few months will kill you???

Don't know if you're old enough to've watched Popeye cartoons, but: "That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!"

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #701 of 3,339

Quote:
My preference ATM is for a musical-sounding DAC paired with analytical-sounding tubes.

"Analytical-sounding tubes" (!?!) Is that not a contradiction in terms? Do you also prefer alcohol-free scotch, scratchy silk sheets and non-dairy ice cream (which is, for unguessable reasons, actually available)? 
blink.gif

Of course, some would opine that "musical-sounding DAC is another oxymoron...
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #702 of 3,339

Quote:
"Analytical-sounding tubes" (!?!) Is that not a contradiction in terms? Do you also prefer alcohol-free scotch, scratchy silk sheets and non-dairy ice cream (which is, for unguessable reasons, actually available)? 
blink.gif

Of course, some would opine that "musical-sounding DAC is another oxymoron...
wink.gif

How about 'intelligent post'.  Where does that fit in?  
darthsmile.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #703 of 3,339
Hey guys, big big news! I have just got a heads up on the upcoming schiit products, no specific details, just a rough sketch. Basically, we will be seeing a balanced ss amp and balanced DAC by end of this year and a balanced hybrid amp and flagship balanced DAC by q1 next year. Furthermore, it seems the two balanced DACs will have options for the exact same usb card as the bifrost (dissapointing to me). More details include the fact that the cheaper balanced DAC will use existing high-end DAC chips (Sabre, Wolfsson, etc.) but the flagship will be completely unique, featuring never seen before chips (multiple). Furthermore, the flagship DAC is being designed to completely outperform the competition.  Including DACs that are many times more expensive (W4S, Weiss, Zodiac Gold, Berkeley, etc).It is actually being designed to even outstrip things like the dCS and Mark Levinson.  It is also going to be very special in that almost all the components will be in-house Schiit designed and produced parts. The casing for the two new amps and DACs will be matching. (as in mid-range amp and dac will be the same, flagships will be the same) They will both be significantly larger than the current products. (Lyr, Bifrost) Finally, suggested pricing could be 649-749 for the mid-range DAC and 949-1049 for the flagship DAC. The amps will probably be slightly cheaper respectively.
Hope you guys found this info interesting, I personally cannot wait for the balanced amps and especially the flagship DAC.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #704 of 3,339

Quote:
Hey guys, big big news! I have just got a heads up on the upcoming schiit products, no specific details, just a rough sketch. Basically, we will be seeing a balanced ss amp and balanced DAC by end of this year and a balanced hybrid amp and flagship balanced DAC by q1 next year. Furthermore, it seems the two balanced DACs will have options for the exact same usb card as the bifrost (dissapointing to me). More details include the fact that the cheaper balanced DAC will use existing high-end DAC chips (Sabre, Wolfsson, etc.) but the flagship will be completely unique, featuring never seen before chips (multiple). Furthermore, the flagship DAC is being designed to completely outperform the competition.  Including DACs that are many times more expensive (W4S, Weiss, Zodiac Gold, Berkeley, etc).It is actually being designed to even outstrip things like the dCS and Mark Levinson.  It is also going to be very special in that almost all the components will be in-house Schiit designed and produced parts. The casing for the two new amps and DACs will be matching. (as in mid-range amp and dac will be the same, flagships will be the same) They will both be significantly larger than the current products. (Lyr, Bifrost) Finally, suggested pricing could be 649-749 for the mid-range DAC and 949-1049 for the flagship DAC. The amps will probably be slightly cheaper respectively.
Hope you guys found this info interesting, I personally cannot wait for the balanced amps and especially the flagship DAC.

Quoting for posterity. Where did you get those nuggets from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back