Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Sep 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2,911 of 3,339
Quote:

Could you guys comment as to why you find the USB to be vastly inferior?  What differences in sound do you notice?

I disagree. I prefer optical. And FWIW Jason finds no difference between the two. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2,912 of 3,339
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2,913 of 3,339
Quote:
I disagree. I prefer optical. And FWIW Jason finds no difference between the two. 

It also depends on which/what SPDIF is going into the DAC.  It's not just the DAC side you have to worry about.  I've have 4 different optical outs in front of me and they all sound different.  YAY digital!!

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #2,914 of 3,339
Quote:

I don't understand why you disagree?  I prefer optical as well......?

I found the USB had sharp roll-off in the bass past 80hz - and besides that I found the sound flat and lacking in dynamics.  But the latter two are just subjective mumbo jumbo.  The bass roll-off was the big issue.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #2,915 of 3,339
Guys - as Anax said, many factors come into play with why one connector may sound better on your system than another. If you need/choose to stick with USB, I'd pick up a top quality powered hub. Hubs like the Vaunix have the added benefit of greater noise isolation. You're dealing with the quality of parts/implementation of the sending unit (laptop, etc.), noise, power, blah blah. As always, use the one that sounds best to your hears 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #2,916 of 3,339
Quote:
Could you guys comment as to why you find the USB to be vastly inferior?  What differences in sound do you notice?

Quote:

blink.gif

I like pie.

beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #2,917 of 3,339
Quote:

I don't understand why you disagree?  I prefer optical as well......?

I found the USB had sharp roll-off in the bass past 80hz - and besides that I found the sound flat and lacking in dynamics.  But the latter two are just subjective mumbo jumbo.  The bass roll-off was the big issue.

Jsplice posted the comment of why you guys find USB to be vastly inferior. I simply said I disagree and prefer optical. Not vastly prefer it. And that others find no difference
between the two. YMMV, but that's a given.

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2,918 of 3,339
Quote:
I find the USB input vastly inferior to optical and coaxial on my Bifrost.  By leaps and bounds.

Quote:

This is what got me
blink.gif
, it seems like these two statements are actually in agreement that optical is better than USB. But perhaps it's not Anathallo that paradoxper is disagreeing with?

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,919 of 3,339
Quote:

This is what got me
blink.gif
, it seems like these two statements are actually in agreement that optical is better than USB. But perhaps it's not Anathallo that paradoxper is disagreeing with?

Lol. Kev and Anathallo are both in agreement that USB is vastly inferior. Jspilce asked why this was the case. I interjected and said
I disagree. And that I only prefer optical. And that others don't find a difference between the two.

We're only in agreement that we find optical better than USB. But to me "vastly" is the same as "night and day" and doesn't have a place
when describing audio gear. It's not very meaningful and only hyperbole.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,920 of 3,339
Quote:
Lol. Kev and Anathallo are both in agreement that USB is vastly inferior. Jspilce asked why this was the case. I interjected and said
I disagree. And that I only prefer optical. And that others don't find a difference between the two.

We're only in agreement that we find optical better than USB. But to me "vastly" is the same as "night and day" and doesn't have a place
when describing audio gear. It's not very meaningful and only hyperbole.

I agree the source of the digital signal into the DAC will change things between setups, but when I can't hear anything below 80hz, I feel that saying USB is vastly inferior is not hyperbole at all.  As always, YMMV, but USB in my setup is -- really, and honestly -- vastly inferior.  

I can hear down to 20hz with optical - can't hear anything below 80 with usb.  How is that not a major issue in your opinion?

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,921 of 3,339
Quote:

I agree the source of the digital signal into the DAC will change things between setups, but when I can't hear anything below 80hz, I feel that saying USB is vastly inferior is not hyperbole at all.  As always, YMMV, but USB in my setup is -- really, and honestly -- vastly inferior.  

I can hear down to 20hz with optical - can't hear anything below 80 with usb.  How is that not a major issue in your opinion?

Perhaps placebo, maybe my hearing is shot. IMO, vast and night and day, dont' exist in audio. Tell me I'm wrong or right.
Or let my opinion be.

I am not going to sit here and tell you your experience is wrong, I will however say my experience is the opposite. For whatever reason.
My setup is not under controlled testing conditions, so there's no real answer here. For me at least, I'm not sure about you though.

Share your experiences, as I'll share mine...and so forth. No one is wrong or right here.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,922 of 3,339
For the first time I was able to do A/B'ing between my Macbook Pro's optical and Macbook Air's USB on the Bifrost. And I actually preferred the USB and I can understand why someone may say it's optical that is better. But is there night and day difference between the two? In my experience absolutely no. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,924 of 3,339
Quote:

If you aren't hearing anything below 80 Hz, that would indicate a defective USB input to me. I would contact Schiit about that. No serious audio company would send a piece of electronics out into this world with that sort problem with one of its inputs. There is a problem somewhere (the DAC USB input or your USB source) that needs to be solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back