Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Oct 1, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2,926 of 3,339
Quote:
If you aren't hearing anything below 80 Hz, that would indicate a defective USB input to me. I would contact Schiit about that. No serious audio company would send a piece of electronics out into this world with that sort problem with one of its inputs. There is a problem somewhere (the DAC USB input or your USB source) that needs to be solved.

Maybe if I were to get another DAC, but I like the Bifrost, don't wanna send it out for repairs even if it is defective.  Maybe get a new USB receiver or something (take advantage of the modular feature that was marketed so hard) sometime in the future.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,929 of 3,339
Yes, it may not be the case. But readers of your statements should be aware that you are unwilling to seriously explore the possibility that there is a problem with your USB input (or the USB output of your source). No manufacturer would sell an audio device with no freq response below 80 Hz. There seems to be a real problem with your unit or something else in your set-up. I'd at least call Schiit if you haven't already to discuss this problem. If you aren't using your USB module, you could easily remove it and send it to Schiit for testing. Or they could help you determine if something else in your set-up may be causing this lack of info below 80Hz. No small complaint (at least for a basshead like myself).

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #2,930 of 3,339
from the gungnir thread
Quote:

Bingo.

Aaannd...

Expect the top of the line to cost 2X+ for the DAC and just under 2X for the amp, and expect to wait quite a while--development of the DAC got reset to zero this summer because of a new DSP platform (the old one went end-of-life, in electronics-speak). Q1 2013 is the new guess. I've stopped saying "anticipated" or "expected" because it seems to get translated into "promised" far too often.

On the good news side, the new DSP platform is far more capable, which makes the statement DAC even more interesting. But it also does take us into new realms, which means more uncertainty, which means more time...

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2,931 of 3,339
Connection question:  If I get the Schitt Bifrost and the Schitt Asgard, I will have to use the RCA input/outputs to connect the Bifrost to the Asgard.  How would I also connect powered speakers with RCA jacks to the Bifrost, given there is only one set of RCA input/outputs on both devices?

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #2,932 of 3,339
Connection question:  If I get the Schitt Bifrost and the Schitt Asgard, I will have to use the RCA input/outputs to connect the Bifrost to the Asgard.  How would I also connect powered speakers with RCA jacks to the Bifrost, given there is only one set of RCA input/outputs on both devices?

Get a set of RCA splitters (not sure of the technical term if there even is one, but basically a set of Y cables) and run it to both your Asgard and speakers.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2,933 of 3,339
Quote:
Get a set of RCA splitters (not sure of the technical term if there even is one, but basically a set of Y cables) and run it to both your Asgard and speakers.

Ah.  OK.  Thanks.  A couple of these guys, right?

images

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #2,935 of 3,339
What is the width of soundstage in Bifrost?
Do you think Bifrost has a big soundstage (especially in width) in comparison to other DACs (let's say up to $700)?

I am looking for a suitable DAC for my LCD2.2 (driven from Schitt Lyr) that will give me more air and larger soundstage in LCD2.
Would you recommend me Bifrost or some other DACs?

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #2,937 of 3,339
Quote:
That looks right. I was actually thinking male to male, but what you posted would probably be even better since then you can use whatever length cable you want for each separately.

I think sonically you would be better off with an adaptor that is solid metal as opposed to having IC wire of dubious quality. Something like these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1045

or these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-515

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2,938 of 3,339
Quote:
I think sonically you would be better off with an adaptor that is solid metal as opposed to having IC wire of dubious quality. Something like these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1045

or these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-515

Those seem like an excellent idea as well; I was more confirming the general connectors, not attempting to judge potential sound quality impact (although I am not a cable believer beyond basic verifiable physical phenomena).

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,939 of 3,339
Quote:

Those seem like an excellent idea as well; I was more confirming the general connectors, not attempting to judge potential sound quality impact (although I am not a cable believer beyond basic verifiable physical phenomena).

Thanks to both Roscoeiii and Defiant00 for their help with my question.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #2,940 of 3,339
Quote:
I think the bifrost has about average soundstage width (compared to DacMagic and Dragonfly) but above average depth and layering within the soundstage.

For me LCD2.2's depth is already OK. The width of soundstage is what I am missing. In this case, I presume I should look for other (than Bifrost) DAC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back