Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Mar 7, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #2,431 of 3,339
I received my Bifrost yesterday. I didn't bother with USB since all of my sources have S/PDIF anyway. I can confirm that the LED does differ from the one on my Valhalla purchased a few months  ago. The Bifrost LED is far brighter and a bit of a greenish tint to it while the Valhalla has a pleasing frosted white look. It's no big deal to me because I'd rather let the sounds do the talking but it is worth noting. I didn't find the Bifrost/Valhalla/HD650 bass-light but I didn't get a chance to test it out thoroughly.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #2,432 of 3,339

I don't want to take the thread OT, but glad you enjoyed your time here, judmarc.
If you ever come thru, you must stop by our home. We are in the Mt Washington part of the city.

Quote:
 Quote:

Hey, man, anyone from around the Three Rivers is OK with me.  (Pitt alum.)  Great town, which not enough people realize.

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,433 of 3,339
after about 15 hours burn in last night i did some listening and it sounds super detailed, a little lacking in bass though. At least compared to my iBasso D6 I was using which has dual WM8740's.

It's been running for 24 hours now, by the time I have a chance it will be up to 38 hours burn-in. It does get pretty warm, so hopefully that analog output stage is getting a workout.

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #2,434 of 3,339

Quote:
I think its interesting how different mediums have a different flavor or signature if you will.

To start I picked up a Spider brand coax cable from Newegg for $23.

I'm curious to see how a silver cable will compare to my cable which is 100% copper.

Personally I don't know how s/pdif differs from textbook digital (ones and zeros). But I do find it interesting how someone on youtube just used a wire hanger as a coax cable and it seemingly worked fine.

I've always been a firm believer that analog audio cables make a difference, but where is the limit? anyone who spends multi thousand dollars for a Nordost cable for an almost inaudible difference is insane in my book.

Cabling has such huge debates going for it.   To me its sensible that a different conductor material (silver) with a different conductivity measurement at different frequencies could easily affect sound, but the differences between the same conductor materials seem wildly inflated.  My feeling is, the cable crowd isn't making it up entirely, by definition I'd think different gauges in different configurations with different base metals, with different terminations (attatched questionably in some cases) may very slightly affect the flow of current, allow RFI in more at some frequencies than others, allow leakage of certain frequencies more readily than others.   I also think some of what the cable crowd claims as "warmer this" or "detailed that" are actually flaws in the cable where certain frequencies are leaking, more RFI leaking in, or poorly made terminations changing the impedance.  Though a good portion of "designer" cables are, inside, actually the same Belden cable across brands with pretty sleeves and terminators on them....  They cables are good, no doubt....but they're worth $40
wink.gif

Flaws or not, I think there can be "differences" (defects...differences...whatever) in cables, but in most cases (silver aside maybe) the difference is so miniscule that one wouldn't notice it unless they were sitting around ABXing, and one isn't definitively better.  And for the money spent on such a cable, FAR wider differences/improvements could almost always be achieved via changing other equipment.  If cables were $20, sure, why not.  But for  $200+ cable for two channels, and a $200 power cable, and a $300 headphone cable, you could just buy a DAC1 and be done with it using your old decent cables
biggrin.gif

The coat hanger test has been done many times and always works well in ABX.  Why shouldn't it?  It's basically an insanely high gauge solid core aluminum conductor.....  I imagine it could be "bright" though since its running unshielded.  But with  a conductor like that, I doubt you need much shielding unless you're sticking a wifi antenna next to it.

Then there's the old Stereophile article about the trade show where a famous engineer was demoing some very pricey speakers across from a $1000 cable booth.  He had orange Black & Decker extension cord connecting the speakers.  He said it looked good and sounded fine to them. 

But for those with top-tier systems, and you have nothing left to buy in the hardware realm, and still want to try changing the sound....I imagine cable changes could actually work.  But it's worse diminishing returns than LCD-3's.  Or Theils for that matter. 

My digital cable is my first order from BJC after considering them numerous times, but I've become a big fan...it's that center line between value and performance.   You don't get designer stuff claiming to improve your clarity and tighten your bass, you just get cable with a printed spec, outdoor, underground, and overhead strung rated, designed for studios and cable companies, that's been tested to successfully carry all required frequencies.  It's rugged, heavily shielded, and is probably inside more than a few $100+ cables (No joke, BJC made some toslink cables for Audioquest, I remember they were selling them off dirt cheap a few years ago at BJC because of overstock, or rejection, or something.  They don't use glass though, only some high-end Toshiba polymer)  I figure if the stuff is good enough to have been used in the recording of probably half the albums in my collection, it's good enough to use for playback too
rolleyes.gif

What it isn't is pretty.  At all.  It's industrial cable with industrial terminators, and it looks the part.  Thankfully that look goes very well with the Schiit minimalism!  I'm still considering replacing my Audioquest Y-splitters (fairly priced, believe it or not, I bought them because they were 6" and I was planning on running an IEM amp out of the Bifrost originally) with some custom BJC too, just to clean up my nest of cables and get a uniform industrial look.

Quote:
I have had a bit of a play over the past 6 months since getting the Bifrost and initially I liked the USB as my Mac could upsample via Puremusic to 24/192.  But over time with more thought and listening put in and some changes to a quality 75ohm coax cable and a Glass fibre optic cable I now tend to use the optical out of my Mac, non-upsampled, to the Bifrost.

I dont have coax out of my Mac and can only feed the Bifrost Coax from an Onkyo ND-S1 dock.  This then limits the max sample rate to 16/48 due to the ipod but I am very surprised that when comparing optical out of the dock to Coax out that the Coax sounds fuller in the bottom end and a little smoother in the highs.  The Optical is noticeably brighter sounding.

As other people have said  before, non of the implementations on the Bifrost are bad but when we are a group focussed on sound quality then Coax should have the greatest potential.

The type of distortion caused by the actual cabling, unlike analog, wouldn't affect just the lows or highs (that happens in analog becuase those are the frequencies that push at the tolerances of the cable on either side.)  The coax cables are still frequency dependent, but a lost bit doesn't affect the audible high or low specifically, the dropped bits are random so any part of the frequency spectrum could be equally affected (meaning high frequency is used to determine if any bit is on or off....mid, high, or low...unlike analog where high frequency is a 1:1 for the treble frequency it should reproduce.  Same with optical, though for different reasons than frequency leakage (namely, refraction/reflection in the cable) That's the curse of digital.  it cures the problem of analog that the extreme highs and extreme lows have a habit of getting lost or distorted.  But it creates the new problem that the entire frequency spectrum now becomes subject to loss and distortion equally
tongue.gif

I would suspect if optical is brighter and coax is darker, then either your ear preceives the higher distortion as affecting the lows (human brain trying to piece together something that's "not quite right") or something else is happening to the data on the source before it's S/PDIF encoded that's different depending on output. 

Quote:
Glad to received my Bifrost yesterday. My current setup is laptop (usb) -> Bifrost -> Lyr -> HD650. Initial impression, lack of mid and lack of bass. My Lyr already has more than 100+ hours of burn in. My older setup, laptop (usb) -> Fiio E17(DAC)+L7 -> Lyr -> HD650 sounds better. Will let Bifrost burn for another 50 or more hours and will hear how it sounds.

Quote:
Give it some time (brain burn in, not dac burn in). It will sneak up on you. Listen to the frost setup for a few days then go back to your Fiio setup and decide if you still prefer the Fiio. My guess is you will find the mids/bass less controlled and less detailed.

+1.   The Bifrost is a very detailed, transparent, clean DAC.  It's not the most resolving in the world, but it's light years ahead of E17 in terms of resolution and transparency.  I often feel bad that I pay attention to all my gear, but endlessly forget about poor Bifrost being there at all.  It does its job and gets out of the way so well, it's very easy to forget it exists at all.  Which is the point of a DAC.  The E17 isn't as highly resolving, isn't as good at separation, and is probably adding a warm color to the sound.  With the Bifrost you're hearing your cans and your amp/tubes cleanly for the first time.  There's a good chance once you listen more you'll hear more detail you were missing before and realize you were mistaking clarity for thinness.  If you still like a more colored sound, it's time for tube rolling that Lyr!
wink.gif
  The Bifrost will really let you hear the difference of each tube.

I'll say, though that, to me, stock tubes in Lyr, + Bifrost + HD650 is a great combination and is definitely not lacking in bass.  At all.  (Some would argue it has too much bass and mid-bass.)  The bass in that combo is the same as my carefully tuned 12" Velodyne sub as calibrated in my speaker setup....any more would be true bloat and lose its musicality.)  Remember: In sub setup, you shouldn't actually know the sub is there...it should blend with the speakers completely.  Same applies to bass integration in well calibrated headphone gear. 

Give it time, but if you still like a certain coloration, you can always change tubes or add EQ.  Either way the Bifrost should be outresolving and out-timing that E17 by far.  The Fiio gear is a great value in its price range (I use an E11 with my IEMs), but the Bifrost is still in a very different class. 

Quote:
Compared to analog, the digital domain is a Cambodian minefield in the deep jungle laced with punji sticks and tree swinging aboriginals puffing curare laced blow darts at you.  Anyone thinking it's just a '1' and a '0' probably stays up at night just to make sure the sun rises in the morning.  Digital can cross that gauntlet but it's extremely complicated and it's hard to say if everyone will make it through okay.

LOL That has got to be the best description of digital I've ever heard
evil_smiley.gif

When it comes to digital, when you finally understand what digital is about, it makes one wonder why we ever left analog....it's so much simper and, strangely, more reliable.   Of course, with analog there's no chance of ever reproducing the original, and there's virtually no possibility of getting the high and low freq back as it was.  With digital at least there's a chance to get close to it. And digital still has the far better noise floor...

Everyone confuses digital with data, 1 & 0....which perhaps calling it "digital" was the error.  If digital were 1's and 0's that would be fine. The true trouble and confusion with "digital audio" is that it's not actually digital.....it's plain old analog audio in transmission being used to represent digital data, but on the receiving end it doesn't just amplify the signal, but first has to reconstruct the signal as data, then convert it to plain old analog, then amplify it.

The best real-world analogy I can think of would be transmitting MP3's via morse code over signal radio.  Yes the actual DATA is digital.  But you're transmitting it in an analog way.  IF one person is standing in a monsoon tapping the byte values of the MP3 into a radio, and the other person is listening on another radio and entering the byte sequence into a computer, when you play the MP3 file back, will it be a 100% digital recreation even though it was built from digital data?  No.  Some of the bytes would get lost by the guy tapping into the radio in a monsoon (interferance at the point of transmission), some would get re-ordered (transposition/ out of order packets), some would get lost over the radio waves (interferance, in-cable damage/loss, garbling on the radio, etc.), and some would be operator error buy the guy entering the values into the computer (interferance at the point of receipt/lens issues on the optical receiver, etc.) 

In a well set up digital setup, most of the values will be exactly as they left the transmitter...but almost never will all of them be. 

Fun fact: This very message as it's being sent to the H-F server is experiencing the same problem.  All digital transmission over wire is analog.  All will get lost and degraded packets.  The difference is for data protocols the recipient side keeps checking the data to make sure they're in the right order, and that it's not missing any as it reconstructs each bit of the message, and re-requests anything that didn't make it through.  Audio is on-the-fly, so no re-requesting, waiting, and queuing can take place unless the idea of a DAC were to be redesigned with on-board buffering, etc.  Which means it would play back with a delay as well (and we'd need a new protocol.)  And adding buffering, volatile storage, packet resequencing etc adds new problems, new chances for errors, and new sources of noise/RFI.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #2,435 of 3,339
Enough lost bits through a digital cable would sound like record skips or static - they won't affect frequency response at all, you just won't get any sound for whatever number of microseconds your lost data constitutes.

There are three aspects of digital cables I can think of that affect the sound of the system, short of actual data dropouts.  I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I've read about:

- Jitter.  Everyone's heard about this one, of course.  This will affect S/PDIF (coax and optical) and "adaptive" USB more than async USB, because async USB minimizes the effects of everything preceding the clock in the async receiver (the DAC or an async USB-to-S/PDIF converter).

- Electromagnetic noise and radio frequency interference.  This is a big one that digital cables have in common with analog cables, and that no one tends to think of.  To the extent short analog interconnects don't have gross frequency response errors, short digital interconnects will make just about as much difference to system sound as short analog interconnects due to this.  This is the primary advantage optical has over coax or USB.  Coax can have an advantage over USB here since USB often carries power in the same cable as signal and ground.  Noise and interference get into the analog side of the system through ground, and can also impact the sound by affecting the DAC's clock, causing jitter.

- Bandwidth.  Coax and USB have greater bandwidth than Toslink optical cables.  (This I believe, but am not certain, is one reason why Toslink outputs and/or inputs are often limited to 96kHz.)

So this is why the particular implementation means so much regarding the sound quality of a given system, and why it's impossible to say one type of digital connection will always be superior.  It depends on what problems exist in your system, and which connection has the advantage in dealing with those problems.  If jitter is a problem, then async USB deals most effectively with that.  If you have a low-jitter source but EMI and RFI are problems, then optical deals best with that.  If you have a Mac, whose optical output is limited to 24/96 at most, and you want to play 176.4 or 192kHz files or material you've upsampled to those resolutions with your software player (someone here gave the example of Pure Music; I use Audirvana Plus for the same thing), then you've got to go with coax or USB.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2,436 of 3,339
I'm glad to see the Bifrost async USB versus S/PDIF issue has widened in this thread.  I have a Bifrost without the USB option because I didn't need it, feeding the Bifrost from an Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3 on coax.  (Pound for pound, that's a $1000 adaptive USB to S/PDIF reclocker-converter from a few years ago on a cutting edge $350 budget DAC.)  Empirical Audio products are unquestionably top tier audiophile hardware.  IMHO, Steve Nugent is an engineering genius when it comes to jitter issues in computer audiophile equipment.

The performance of S/PDIF in the Bifrost is going to be dependent on the quality of the source and the cable you use.  There has been a lot of discussion on jitter from source equipment and noisy computers in recent years.  Discussion about USB to S/PDIF converters, adaptive USB and async USB.  Those of you wanting to connect your computers to a Bifrost by S/PDIF might consider searching back through threads here on Head-Fi and other major audio forum sites for the most effective ways to bridge a computer to a DAC.  There's a lot to read.  Simply running a cable from a computer's S/PDIF out to the S/PDIF input on a DAC usually isn't one of them.

I expect the Bifrost's async USB option to provide a "field leveler" of sorts.  People who claim the Bifrost's USB to sound better for them likely means they have quality issues with the S/PDIF connection.  IMHO, I expect better performance in most cases using the async USB option.  You won't know one way or the other unless you get a Bifrost with the USB module and compare the connections.  I don't say that in spite of Schiit's claims.  S/PDIF will perform better than the async USB option when the S/PDIF source (and cable) are better (implementation, lower jitter, lower source noise).

Async USB implementation can vary in performance too.  There's been no discussion about Schiit's async USB design/performance and how well it performs against other async USB to S/PDIF products.  That's certainly not to slight Schiit's implementation.  There's simply no reference.

I asked Steve Nugent if he had an opinion on the CS8416 S/PDIF receiver as a DAC component relative to Empirical Audio products before I decided to purchase the Bifrost.  (It's what the Bifrost uses.)  I didn't want it to be an issue when running a Bifrost behind an Off-Ramp.  Steve has a lot of knowledge in proper S/PDIF implementation and he's modified a lot of equipment for customers.  He said the 8416 is "okay".  I can testify that it seems to work well with the Off-Ramp 3.  I use an Audioquest VDM-5 silver coax cable between them.

IMHO and FWIW, the Bifrost is a killer DAC value.  I liked everything I read about its brazen simple and straight forward design.  I needed a new DAC that performed properly and would be running most of the day every day on an ambient music system in my home office.  I'll certainly be putting the 5 year warranty to the test.  The Bifrost has given this system a new and better life.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2,437 of 3,339

Quote:
Steve has a lot of knowledge in proper S/PDIF implementation and he's modified a lot of equipment for customers.  He said the 8416 is "okay". 

Care to elaborate more on better or worse alternatives.  Perhaps if you have a link you can share or PM that does well to compare the various implementations.  I'm personally getting fed up w/ the inconsistencies in various SPDIF implementations so I need to look deeper and get a better grasp on wth is going on in some of these units compared to others.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #2,438 of 3,339
There's been no discussion about Schiit's async USB design/performance and how well it performs against other async USB to S/PDIF products.

I can give you one lone data point, at least.  The Musical Fidelity V-Link (async USB-S/PDIF converter) through a $300+ coax cable (Omega Mikro Zephyr) into the Bifrost's coax input was far inferior to the Bifrost's async USB input.  The V-Link cost about $160, vs. $100 to add USB to the Bifrost.  Factoring in the box and non-USB parts for the V-Link, I'm supposing parts cost for just its async USB implementation is roughly equal to or lower than for the Bifrost.

Usually where audio is concerned I tend to think that less is more, so before I'd add a converter box and additional cable in front of the Bifrost I'd want to be reasonably sure its USB implementation was quite a bit better than the Bifrost's.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2,439 of 3,339
Anyone compared the Bitfrost to the NuForce HDP's DAC alone with both into an Asgard or Valhalla and care to comment?

Im wondering if a Bitfrost/Asgard or Bitfrost/Valhalla would be a noticeable upgrade from a Nuforce HDP with Sigma 11. Cans would be the HD650's.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #2,440 of 3,339
Can't speak to the amp part of the chain, but I found Bifrost to be a step up in neutrality, detail and extension from HDP.

Quote:
Anyone compared the Bitfrost to the NuForce HDP's DAC alone with both into an Asgard or Valhalla and care to comment?

Im wondering if a Bitfrost/Asgard or Bitfrost/Valhalla would be a noticeable upgrade from a Nuforce HDP with Sigma 11. Cans would be the HD650's.

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #2,441 of 3,339
All arguments aside, I am happy with Jriver/Asio/Juli@/RCA Spdif.  Finally an asio interface that just works(always had  trouble with foobars), no problems at all.  Granted I use two sound cards and julia is simply a digital output for music and non-dolby home theater.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #2,442 of 3,339

Quote:
Thought I'd share my experience with cabling Bifrost. I replaced my work MSII+ with Bifrost, and used a generic optical spdif for the connection. Sounded wonderful, though the very bottom seemed rolled off a bit. My Silflex glass optical cable arrived today, and that made a noticeable difference. The bottom end is there is with force, clarity and slam, with a slight improvement in clarity overall. Now this probably speaks mostly to the poor quality of the cable I was using - but I thought I'd mention it as others may have  a similar experience.

Thanks i too will get the Slflex. Btw may I ask how did the Bifrost compare to the HRT MSII+?

TIA

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,443 of 3,339
I am using the Silflex Toslink.
It's 10' to make the run from my NAS in one room to my main system in the living room.
I have no complaints, but have not tried any other types of hook-up.
I can say with certainty that the combo is out-performing my Cambridge Audio 640 v2, which basically is the same DAC set as the MagicDac uses, AFAIK.
Bifrost fed ASIO4all via optical is far more musical than CA 640 CDp.
All all who have heard my system agree.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #2,445 of 3,339
Not much of an argument made if any at all.  Just a claim like the very one's he attacks.  All HDMI cables are the same but there ARE high speed and low speed specs. 
blink.gif
  So Mr. Merson, you claim they are the same, then show us your measurements that they measure the same.  Typical MSNBC journalism w/ zero analysis. 

Rather ninja like post btw.  
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back