Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jun 29, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #181 of 3,339

$750 is quite steep and will certainly deter what I believe to be majority of their target market. These guys pride themselves on offering quality equipment at reasonable prices. My take is they won't stray here on on the DAC line. Also, I disagree with the 'audiophile' snooty price price point required; for me, it's the reviews and respect a company gains and Schiit has earned that badge with their amp line in my opinion.

P.S.  This is taken directly from their site:  

Built to Last—But Sensibly Priced

All of our products are overbuilt. They’re intended to be something you can pass down to your children. That’s why we back them with a full 5-year warranty. But, at the same time, our stuff is affordable, because we’ve taken great pains to make it easy to manufacture—so easy, we can make Schiit in the USA for prices similar to Chinese products. Just ask Rina, our production master and head of operations.

Quote:
$750

Problem is, many "Audiophiles"  automatically dismiss lower priced products as inferior.

In the world of Dacs Eastern Electric marked the lower limit of respectability for a Audiophile-Approved Dac.

Head-amps is a different story....lower priced head-amps still gain respect amongst the Audiophile community.

Below $500 will put it in the mists of DacMagic et.al, which is good for sales but to many no matter how good the review, the low-ish price would not gain them respect in the Audiophile community.

Just my 0.02

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #182 of 3,339
$349 is my guess. A perfect mid-level price that could prove to be a great bang-for-the-buck if it's on the same playing field as $5-800 dacs. It would also (psychologically, perhaps) put it a cut above all the other $99-250 dacs that are vying for everyone's dollar these days. Plus that would give Schiit the leeway it needs to price their flagship dac around $7-800 later this fall which would keep the two dacs from undercutting each other. My .02.

-Daniel

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #183 of 3,339
I think it will be around ~350... but if it costs $150 i won't complain... at all.... :p

Now... 750 for me is a NO-NO definitely

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #184 of 3,339
Seven-fiddy? Ahhahahhahahahahaaaa! That's funny. That ain't entry-level, except in some alternate audiophile universe where hundred-dollar bills grow on gold-plated trees with happily glowing vacuum-tube flowers.

For not much more than that price, we'll redefine the *entire* state of the art. For now, we'll settle for redefining "entry level."

And no, we don't particularly care about the impact our pricing has on perception or reviews. If we cared about stuff like that, we wouldn't have named ourselves "Schiit." We're having fun. If people like our stuff, then cool. If they don't, then cool as well. No biggie. This ain't saving the world or curing cancer or discovering a new principle in physics!

And respect? Mike Moffat, dude. 

(Doing some testing on the cart, hopefully will be able to send the press release and put the announcement/pre-order thread up tomorrow AM, not PM.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #186 of 3,339
very nice, Jason. can't wait to check in tomorrow and read more... 
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #189 of 3,339
@Jason

Cmon!

We are already in June 30 in Japan timezone... you are late with the announcement! :p

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #192 of 3,339
Hi Jason

So given that it is almost D Day....will you be sharing any further teasers?

Cheers

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #194 of 3,339

Quote:
How do the preorders work with Schiit? Do they charge right away or when it ships? And for the love of ANYTHING Jason make a B.L.A.C.K. lineup already!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE! :)

-Daniel

They dont charge until it ships.  That's in the FAQ area of their site.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #195 of 3,339
It's the 30th now (well on EST at least) which means two things for me: Schiit's dropping the new DAC and pay day! The latter is important cause it means that I could actually afford getting the former! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back