Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #1,606 of 3,339

Quote:
The stereo mini port on airport express and also MacBook pro is a dual output. If you insert a mini optical it will output digital optical. 

Oh my goodness. Your comment was like a ray of light that shone on me! You just saved me the difference between an Airport Express and a Squeezebox!! Thanks Kremer. Thanks Werner!!

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #1,607 of 3,339

Quote:

Oh my goodness. Your comment was like a ray of light that shone on me! You just saved me the difference between an Airport Express and a Squeezebox!! Thanks Kremer. Thanks Werner!!

Glad to help...but....

I think that an Airport Express is limited to 16/48.  I think.  Perhaps someone else may know.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #1,608 of 3,339

Quote:
Glad to help...but....

I think that an Airport Express is limited to 16/48.  I think.  Perhaps someone else may know.

Yes it is. But most of my music are CD ripped Applelossless files anyway so 16/44 will suffice for the time being. Now to find a good quality mini optical to Toslink cable!

(EDIT)
Some Airport Express Facts I found:
The AX is limited to music files that iTunes can read; ie, 16-bit data only. These data, though, can be in any file format that iTunes recognizes, from lossy MP3s at the low-quality end of the spectrum to Apple Lossless and lossless AIF or WAV files at the high end. It is also important to note that the AX functions only at a 44.1kHz sample rate. When you play 32kHz or 48kHz data, iTunes sample-rate-converts the data in real time before sending it to the AX.

iTunes uses a QuickTime CODEC to convert audio files to Apple Lossless, and then, uses AirTunes to send them to the AX. In turn, the AX uses built-in software that converts the Apple Lossless to an Encoded Digital Audio format. From there, digital audio is sent to a optical transceiver to convert the electrical signal to an optical one before sending it to the innermost part of the audio port. For analog, the AX has a built-in DAC to convert the Encoded Digital Audio to Analog which is sent to the same audio port.

One operational glitch is the fact that, as the AX doesn't have a local clock circuit, when the incoming data is interrupted, as it is when you change songs in iTunes, there is no longer a digital output to feed the DAC, which loses lock as a result. Provided you stick within its limitations and your DAC can cope with its digital output switching off at the end of songs, the combination of iTunes and an AX provides an easy way to pipe CD-quality music around your home.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #1,609 of 3,339

Quote:
Glad to help...but....

Don't remember whether the word length is 16 or 24, but the sample rate is definitely limited to 48kHz.  While we're talking limitations, also remember the digital optical out for at least most MacBooks/MacBook Pros is limited to a 96kHz sample rate.  Don't know about other Mac stuff, other than the Airport Express.

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,610 of 3,339

Quote:
The stereo mini port on airport express and also MacBook pro is a dual output. If you insert a mini optical it will output digital optical. 

Just to expand on this, I'm pretty sure that all current Macs feature dual output except the MacBook Air (analog only) and the Mac Pro (separate toslink in/outs for digital).

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #1,611 of 3,339

Quote:
+ 1+ Love the synergy of LaFaro and Evans. My favorite bassist in a trio or quartet. Scratch that. Favorite ever.

another plus on that.  Although it may just have to do with Evans being far and away my favorite Jazz pianist, and his years with LaFaro being before drugs really messed with him.  I do think he returned to form in his last couple of years though, the pianist on "the Last Waltz" box set is a totally new Evans...

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #1,612 of 3,339
Sorry for the slight OT, but today I have a new resolve to dive in when Schiit release their mid-tier balanced gear. Can anyone recall Jason stating there will be an option for a stepped attenuator for the balanced amp? Has there been any mention of whether this mid-tier amp is a solid state, hybrid or all tube design?

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #1,616 of 3,339
A few first impressions, I've had mine since Thursday or so..

The biggest thing I can confirm is the wide soundstage. It's wonderful, particularly because the mod I have on my cans kind of killed the soundstage and this brought it back.

I'm still burning it in, but she's going to be a keeper for years and years. I have it under my Asgard and it looks really really good, and also acts as a secondary heatsink for the Asgard (Asgrill), heating up along with the amp and further helping to dissipate the heat.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,617 of 3,339
I ran an experiment and left the bifrost off, while leaving the lyr on for 3 hours.  The bifrosts shell was... luke warm but not hot so most heat is from the bifrost itself when the casing gets warm.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #1,618 of 3,339
A question for those stacking the Asgard/Lyr on top of the Bifrost. Are you guys using the small rubber feet to give them a little seperation or are you just stacking them flat without any seperation? Does the Asgard/Lyr slide around without the feet?

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,619 of 3,339
A question for those stacking the Asgard/Lyr on top of the Bifrost. Are you guys using the small rubber feet to give them a little seperation or are you just stacking them flat without any seperation? Does the Asgard/Lyr slide around without the feet?

Like I said I'm stacking Asgard on the Bifrost with the stock feet and they're not really moving at all. I could imagine they would slide without them.
I figured I'd go with feet because even though the bifrost is acting as the asgard's second heat sink, it's still a good idea to let it breath.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #1,620 of 3,339
With end of 2011 approaching quickly, I wonder if Schiit's plan to release the balanced DAC by this year still holds with all the back orders... Geez people, stop ordering their schiit.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back