Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #271 of 1,448
When is the Uber Modi coming? I want a better DAC to use with my Pan Am at work. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #272 of 1,448
Just installed the uber upgrade on my Bifrost.  My rig is Bifrost -> MAD Ear + Purist HD -> Vintage RS1's.  Immediate difference is there's more bass slam and the mids seems a bit more forward.  My tubes aren't even warmed up yet, however the increase in bass is welcome.  I'm excited to see this thing tighten up when it burns in. Overall I am very pleased I got a DAC upgrade for only $70.  My led's didn't line up perfect.. meh

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #273 of 1,448
I finally got to do some listening after a few hours of burn in each day for the past 3 days (about 15 hours). The sounds has opened up quite a bit. It's clear, not bright and reaches high and low noticeably more than the original board. I (maybe strangely) found that I needed to re-tune the sub (actually, my wife did it ... most importantly, increasing the sub's crossover from 38 to 54Hz). This could have been something I needed to do with the original board, but the Uber is perhaps more revealing(?)  I'm excited about the upgrade now and looking forward to its sound a 100 listening-hours from now :) 

BTW, since this is the head-fi forum, I'll share my headphone setup: home-made Bottlehead SEX amp, modi, and Audio Technica AD700.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #274 of 1,448
Hi all,

I just got a Schiit bifrost uber.

I also have a Burson soloist.

I think I may have gotten the AC adapters mixed up. Can you guys tells me if on the Bifrost there is a white tag that says 10A at the outlet to the Bifrost unit? 

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #275 of 1,448
Quote:
Hi all,

I just got a Schiit bifrost uber.

I also have a Burson soloist.

I think I may have gotten the AC adapters mixed up. Can you guys tells me if on the Bifrost there is a white tag that says 10A at the outlet to the Bifrost unit? 

yep, 10A on one side 125V on the other side of the same tag, on mine

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #277 of 1,448
Got mine in! Sounds fantastic! Not any brighter than the stock board. A lot more Bass Slam!
L3000.gif
. Much better separation, air, soundstage and mid/bass detail.

Given the boards look to cost the same, why did they not use this design in the first place?? There's nothing new about it, as I had a modded Philips CD player in the 80's that had a very similar design, made by Stan Warren of SuperPhon.

Nice to see Stan was correct 25 years ago.

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #279 of 1,448
Quote:
Has anyone provided a step-by-step guide on how to install the upgrades yet?

*EDIT: Nevermind... http://www.head-fi.org/t/661444/schiit-bifrost-uber-analog-upgrade/15#post_9405695 (derp 
size]
)

There are some more hints around page 5, also.  Look at scelaratus' posts, there are hints and tips to handle the LED insertion when putting it back together.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #280 of 1,448
Have a quick question, as all of you have been upgrading the Bifrost, I was wondering if I were to get one without the USB and add it later, how hard is that to do? Is it a matter of just powering it down opening the cover and plugging in the USB board?

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #281 of 1,448
Quote:
Have a quick question, as all of you have been upgrading the Bifrost, I was wondering if I were to get one without the USB and add it later, how hard is that to do? Is it a matter of just powering it down opening the cover and plugging in the USB board?

Ya, it's that easy.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #284 of 1,448
Even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back