Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #31 of 1,448
Interesting observation re: the two boards, i-handle - I just noted that the gungnir analog board in the photo on Schiit's site does look very much like toschek's, and Schiit does mention that the bifrost Uber board design is patterned after the gungnir's.

May 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #32 of 1,448
Yes, I just took it apart again to take pictures, and that is indeed the uber board, not the original one. I have not installed the USB2 board, haven't ordered that one yet. As far as listening goes, I don't have much to add other than it sounds much better. As nelamvr6 said earlier, there is far less grain, the gain is more pronounced, all around everything is tighter with much more "snap".

Was listening to the new Har Mar Superstar on it yesterday before and after and it just sounds deeper, cleaner and I swear I could hear details that I missed before. BTW, the Har Mar Superstar record is out of this world amazing. Anyone who loves Stevie Wonder type stuff should pick it up right now (it is on Spotify). Prepare to be wowed. http://thequietus.com/articles/12150-har-mar-superstar-bye-bye-17-review

May 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #33 of 1,448
Oh and regarding the LEDs, I had a hard time lining them up, so they are a bit dimmer now that they aren't exactly aligned. I sort of like that though, too much light before.

May 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #34 of 1,448
I just ordered the Uber Analog and USB upgrade boards for my Bifrost.  Hopefully they will be here by the end of next week.  I also ordered a Modi DAC to play with.  I want to see what my iFI USB Power Supply does for it since the Modi is powered by its USB connection. 

May 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #35 of 1,448
Lee Harvey, I'd be interested to hear what the iFi does for the Modi, too. Do you find the iFi to be a good match for the Bifrost? (obviously with the older USB board)

Re: the LED lights, others have talked about using popsicle sticks and other such methods to correctly line up the lights after install, but I concur with the above in that having them slightly recessed reduces the brightness everyone complains about. So it's not a bad thing, necessarily.

Could have sworn that the USB2 board that the member in the "Official Schiit DACs" thread posted pictures of looks identical to the one toschek has in his pictures. Take a look:

New board from other thread: http://i.imgur.com/wGH1suLh.jpg

toschek's: http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/32/900x900px-LL-32f89b1e_IMG_1087.jpeg

6moons review's USB board, from near release: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit2/open4_big.jpg

There's clearly more similarities between toschek's and the new board from the other thread, although if you look at the text/branding on the actual C-Media chips themselves, it looks like the new board in the first picture has a different chip (hence the 176.2 playback capability) than toschek's board. My own Bifrost's USB board is most like the 6moons picture. Both toschek's and the new board picture (first picture) seem to say "USB Board Version 1.20" on them, though, whereas the 6moons board is "Version 1.00". Now I'm even more confused!

If I had to conjecture, given the fact that the user in the other thread who posted the new USB board pic said he had NOT ordered the Uber board yet, and yet his board looks much more like the Uber board, Schiit may have kind of been, without really announcing it, tweaking both the USB and DAC/Analog boards as they went along, until they finally announced a finalized version for those who wanted to upgrade. It might get a bit confusing though if we don't really know which board is inside our Bifrosts without looking in. I'm sure Jason will clear up soon. 

May 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #36 of 1,448
I think it's pretty cool Schiit followed through with their upgrade path promise from two years ago. I see now that the Bifrost will pratcially never be obsolete and will continue to evolve with the new Tech coming out. Although I'm sure it's already pretty darn nice, can only imagine what Uber 2 will be like, haha. (too early?
biggrin.gif
)

May 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #37 of 1,448
Yeah, I do not have 176.8 with the USB board, even though it is superficially similar.  Anyway, the C-Media chip is totally different on mine.

May 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #38 of 1,448
Man does this Schiit sound good.  I feel like my amp is finally able to show some of it's potential now.   I can't wait for someone who knows how to write to do a review on it.   It is a GIANT difference to my ears.

May 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #39 of 1,448
I put my uber and usb2 in today.  About the LED's.  I think everyone will mess this up.  It's nearly impossible to align the led's into the holes after you've bolted the board to the steel (dark gray frame).    for terminology, I'll talk about the a) aluminum part (wrap around outer portions)  b) steel frame (dark gray part that the board was bolted to from the rear) and c) the board (red pcb innards)

I couldn't get them lined up, so I removed the board from the steel frame.  I put the aluminum part face down, put the selection switch button in to sit in place by gravity, then I lowered the board down into the aluminum part with generous clearances to line up the stupid leds.  Once they were in, I let it rest, and slid the steel frame down into the aluminum part, around the board until it all meshed, being careful not to lift the board or pull the leds out of their holes.  you have to wiggle the board a bit as the power switch nears it's hole (due to angle of the lever of the switch).

(my gut says this is how they assemble them as schiit.  so reassembly is not the exact reverse steps as disassembly.

So, my leds are back in their holes properly as they should be.  I couldn't have done it any other way.

(and agreed, it [edit] sounds [end edit] great.)

May 3, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #40 of 1,448
Quote:
Thanks to toschek for the how-to guide and great photos. One question for you, toschek -- did you run into any difficulty in getting the three front-panel LEDs to line up when you re-assembled the DAC? Any tips for success in that part of the task?

Even though I've sent my Bifrost to Schiit to have them install the Uber board, I'm tempted, when it returns, to take it apart to gain access to the LEDs in order to figure out some way to dim them. They are very bright!

I was just going to laugh. I had to replace my board due to failure... the LEDs got me.
Put the unit on its side and line up with a flash light. Use painters tape to hold the button in place.

May 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #41 of 1,448
Quote:

I was just going to laugh. I had to replace my board due to failure... the LEDs got me.
Put the unit on its side and line up with a flash light. Use painters tape to hold the button in place.

Sorry. I didn't even read the original post before posting. I had assumed trouble with getting them to line up on assembly, as I had a heck of a time to figure out a way get them back in their respective holes.

May 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #42 of 1,448
Is anybody having driver issues?  I just upgraded my analog and USB boards.  I took all the precautions to prevent ESD so imagine my surprise when USB doesn't work.  Toslink worked fine (the uber analog board sounds really nice) but I couldn't get the USB to work at all.  In my playback devices settings on my laptop, I noticed that only the Schiit USB Speakers appeared.  With my original USB card, there was also a Schiit Digital SPDIF that showed along with the Schiit USB speakers...with the v.2 board, the Schiit Digital SPDIF didn't show up.  I reverted to the original USB board and both Schiit playback devices show up and everything plays fine so I'm thinking something with the driver didn't go right (it's the latest version from Schiit).  I hope it's not a bad USB v.2 board...I was very careful and took ESD precautions to ensure I didn't fry anything.

I would appreciate any help...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #43 of 1,448
Slide the DAC main board into the outer aluminum shell first (it will rest on it's stand-offs), then line up the LEDs (now easy to see and reach) and then carefully slide the grey part of the chassis in carefully.  Line up the holes (attaching the screws on the back side first will help align the chassis with the outer casing), screw in the top four screws, flip over and add the rest.  It's painless (if you tape the switch button in place).  Takes about 8 minutes. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #44 of 1,448
Quote:
Could have sworn that the USB2 board that the member in the "Official Schiit DACs" thread posted pictures of looks identical to the one toschek has in his pictures. Take a look:

New board from other thread: http://i.imgur.com/wGH1suLh.jpg

If I had to conjecture, given the fact that the user in the other thread who posted the new USB board pic said he had NOT ordered the Uber board yet, and yet his board looks much more like the Uber board, Schiit may have kind of been, without really announcing it, tweaking both the USB and DAC/Analog boards as they went along, until they finally announced a finalized version for those who wanted to upgrade. It might get a bit confusing though if we don't really know which board is inside our Bifrosts without looking in. I'm sure Jason will clear up soon. 

I had got a replacement USB board due to failure. The new one is v1.20. I thought it looked different but I couldn't be certain. I installed the board after coming back from a an audio excursion where I heard a very kick ass DAC show me my Lyr had a lot of room to grow. I installed the new board and I thought my brain was playing tricks with me. I also assumed that my original board was just so screwed up that this new one just must be more 'correct'.   It does sound great. My original must have just picked the right time to fail.
tongue_smile.gif
  An improved output section can do wonders for a DAC as well. Imma ordering now...

May 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #45 of 1,448
Here are a few pictures from my swap out:

The old cards are still on the DAC main board.  The new cards are above the main board...

Original Analog board...

uber Analog Board...

Original USB board...

USB v.2 Board (That I seem to be having driver issues with and hopefully not a DOA board)...

Bifrost Main Board (sans Daughter Boards)...

Hope that helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back