Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #91 of 1,448
I found the Uber to have opened up my Lyr with glass I never liked before.  "How'd they do that?"  Tonight I'll have my "AAA" glass back.  I'm looking forward to listening with tubes I already find amazing.  However, on the off-chance that they don't sound as good, I am keeping the old board.   I've asked myself if I'm hearing the true recording or an applied effect.

None-the-less it's a totally different sound to me and so far, I like it.  I like it a lot.  I say "so far" because there have been time's I'm listened to an "effect", thought it was great, then grew tired of it.  This will, most likely, not be the case, but it made me wonder.

I also have another Bifrost, without the upgrade, that I will use to compare.

Opening up the Bifrost and seeing the engineering of the board and the case has me marveling once again at the quality and price of Schiit products.  It's fantastic that they have delivered on their promise of an upgradable product.

May 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #92 of 1,448
I've been listening to the Uber for about 2 hours so far. Definite improvement although I had no complaints with the sound prior to the upgrade. It just seems like a bit of a veil has been lifted now. Vocals seem more present and I seem to be able to hear more details in each drum beat/string note. I'm not sure but I think the separation/soundstage is improved as well. 

May 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #93 of 1,448
Quote:
I've been listening to the Uber for about 2 hours so far. Definite improvement although I had no complaints with the sound prior to the upgrade. It just seems like a bit of a veil has been lifted now. Vocals seem more present and I seem to be able to hear more details in each drum beat/string note. I'm not sure but I think the separation/soundstage is improved as well. 

exactly.

May 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #94 of 1,448
I saw there is new upgradable USB board was posted on Schiit website.
This thread also deals with how to with some reviews for that upgrade?

When two upgrades are done at the same time, it will be more economical I think.
Is there anyone to report some result?
If it is positive, then I would do 2 upgrades at once.

May 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #95 of 1,448
Quote:

When two upgrades are done at the same time, it will be more economical I think.

Certainly having only one shipping charge to Canada would help to rationalize it.

May 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #96 of 1,448
Quote:

Only report I have on the USB is that it does work to give you the 24/176.4, but I did both upgrades at the same time so not sure how to separate the improvements out.  I will say that before the upgrade I could use any of my USB ports but after the upgrade two of the ports on my laptop do not function correctly with the DAC anymore.  It does work on one of the ports on the laptop just fine and on the ports that I tried on my desktop.  The ports that did not 'work' would play music but I got snap crackle pops when switching tracks and only on certain songs.  It was kind of weird thing.  I know those port work just fine with other gear...YMMV.

This upgrade works really well on my desktop, may be a limitation of the laptop??? (Alienware Mx11 with (2x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
(1x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Port with PowerShare technology, it works just fine with one of the USB3.0 ports but not the other 3.0 or the 2.0 ports).  If I get some time I will troubleshoot it some more, I did try re-installing Bifrost drivers but not the ports bus/hub drivers.

May 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #97 of 1,448
OK.. you guys convinced me.. impressions are goo so I just ordered my Uber Analog upgrade.  Should calm my upgradities for a bit. Looking forward to it.

Just as an aside.. there was a Toronto HeadFi meet over the weekend with two Bifrost/Lyr stacks and they seemed to get the most attention.  At one point, there was a lineup at my station for people wanting to try various headphones.  All seemed impressed.
Nice work Jason and crew!

May 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #98 of 1,448
OK.. you guys convinced me.. impressions are goo so I just ordered my Uber Analog upgrade.  Should calm my upgradities for a bit. Looking forward to it.

Just as an aside.. there was a Toronto HeadFi meet over the weekend with two Bifrost/Lyr stacks and they seemed to get the most attention.  At one point, there was a lineup at my station for people wanting to try various headphones.  All seemed impressed.
Nice work Jason and crew!

What???? Toronto? Gaaaah. Missed it.

May 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #99 of 1,448
Quote:
Only report I have on the USB is that it does work to give you the 24/176.4, but I did both upgrades at the same time so not sure how to separate the improvements out.  I will say that before the upgrade I could use any of my USB ports but after the upgrade two of the ports on my laptop do not function correctly with the DAC anymore.  It does work on one of the ports on the laptop just fine and on the ports that I tried on my desktop.  The ports that did not 'work' would play music but I got snap crackle pops when switching tracks and only on certain songs.  It was kind of weird thing.  I know those port work just fine with other gear...YMMV.

This upgrade works really well on my desktop, may be a limitation of the laptop??? (Alienware Mx11 with (2x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
(1x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Port with PowerShare technology, it works just fine with one of the USB3.0 ports but not the other 3.0 or the 2.0 ports).  If I get some time I will troubleshoot it some more, I did try re-installing Bifrost drivers but not the ports bus/hub drivers.

You know, I am wondering if that's what happened to me.  I didn't think of plugging the Bifrost into my main rig to see if it would work.  I only had the one USB port on my old laptop.
Hopefully, Jason won't find anything wrong with the hardware.  It might be a driver issue if some USB ports work and others don't.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #100 of 1,448
Quote:
You know, I am wondering if that's what happened to me.  I didn't think of plugging the Bifrost into my main rig to see if it would work.  I only had the one USB port on my old laptop.
Hopefully, Jason won't find anything wrong with the hardware.  It might be a driver issue if some USB ports work and others don't.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

what's a driver?

May 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #102 of 1,448
Quote:

One question about the USB ports that didn't work; did the laptop/PC recognize the Bifrost at all?  On my laptop, it recognized the Bifrost as "Schiit USB Speaker" device and even showed the 24/176.4 option, I just couldn't get anything to play.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #105 of 1,448
Quote:
One question about the USB ports that didn't work; did the laptop/PC recognize the Bifrost at all?  On my laptop, it recognized the Bifrost as "Schiit USB Speaker" device and even showed the 24/176.4 option, I just couldn't get anything to play.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yes, they played music but I got the rice crispies intermittently.  They were bad enough that I did not want to risk my HD800's on them so I did my testing with my ATHM50's until I found the 'good' usb port.  I also had to set the Schiit device as default in 'sound' management  in the control panel to get it to play.  Each USB port has to install the device driver the first time you plug it in.  You only have to install the driver from the file you download once, but each port will auto-install after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back