Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #76 of 1,448
Anyone do the USB upgrade on the GUNGIR yet?

Same issues with the LEDS?

Jack

May 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #77 of 1,448
So, just did the uber and USB upgrades.  Not too bad for the install part (LED's were a pain, but nothing that couldn't be handled thanks to the tips, thanks sceleratus).  Sound is improved, seems to have more bass punch and quantity.  Also seems, ??, um, cleaner, I guess is the word?  is there enough of an improvement to justify it? YMMV, but I think so, I will keep telling myself that anyway.
wink_face.gif

I was trouble shooting an annoying rice crispy issue, though.  Was getting snap crackle pop in certain songs and not consistently.  I was on my laptop so I moved to my desktop and did not have the problem.  Went back to the laptop and tried a different USB port.  Problem went away.  I tried the third port (a powered port) on my laptop and the problem came back but not as bad.  So it appears that I either have two bad/sketchy USB ports or this upgrade is picky.  Well at least it is working...
beerchug.gif

Here's another funny part, had everything laid out on the bench.  Pulled the old analog card out and set it down next to the uber card.  Got distracted by something shiny and when I turned back to the bench had a "uh oh" moment where I couldn't remember which was which.  Had to go look at the pictures posted here to make sure. Duh, need to pay attention when working...

May 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #78 of 1,448
The upgrade path does not require any soldering?
Only electrical connections are managed by connector pin array?
Even mechanical engineer can do as graphical instructions laid by toschek?

Is the upgrade worthy to brave?

May 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #79 of 1,448
Quote:

yes, there is no soldering required.
Yes, boards are plug and play via pin connectors.  Only tools needed is a good screwdriver, some tape for the switch, and maybe some tweezers for the LED positioning.
Yes, with toschek's and Sceleratus' directions it is easy to do.

The more I listen the better it gets...I now know it is definitely worth it after some more time listening to it.

May 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #80 of 1,448
yes, there is no soldering required.
Yes, boards are plug and play via pin connectors.  Only tools needed is a good screwdriver, some tape for the switch, and maybe some tweezers for the LED positioning.
Yes, with toschek's and Sceleratus' directions it is easy to do.

The more I listen the better it gets...I now know it is definitely worth it after some more time listening to it.

May I ask what amp are you using with the Bifrost?

May 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #81 of 1,448
Quote:

After reading this thread, the upgrade took less than 15 minutes.  I was worried about lining up the LEDs, but the excellent hint to put the board in first was simple - took about 15 seconds to line up the LEDs.  

Now the important thing - where are you guys putting your uber stickers?  I haven't seen a picture of where it is supposed to go!

May 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #82 of 1,448
Quote:

Now the important thing - where are you guys putting your uber stickers?  I haven't seen a picture of where it is supposed to go!

The stock (where Schiit installs it) sticker placement is as such:

May 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #86 of 1,448
^ I received my uber board yesterday. Before installing, will spend whatever time available over 2-3 days (won't be much ) comparing Bifrost with one or two other DACs I have on hand. Then I'll install, and repeat.

I'll use some of the tracks from a previous Bifrost + 2 other DACs comparison I did in 2011, plus some additional tracks I found since that showed clear differences.

That's the plan anyway. I'll report in a week or two if I have anything worth posting.

May 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #88 of 1,448
Quote:
I didn't see a sticker.
confused.gif

Me like stickers

Mine was floating around in the box.  Would have missed it except that I had just cleaned the bench where I was doing the work.
I placed mine just to the right of the serial number vertically above the coax connector.

May 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #89 of 1,448
Finally got my Uber board. No problems with the install thanks to the descriptions here. The biggest worry I had was that I might strip a screw. Standing the circuit board on end to line up the LED's worked perfectly.

The sound. I've only spent about 30 minutes listening but it has certainly changed the whole sound of the rig. Much more low end definition, much better detail resolution and separation as a whole. It's a completely different DAC. Lots of listening to do but for $70 it's a must have.

May 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #90 of 1,448
Quote:
Mine was floating around in the box.  Would have missed it except that I had just cleaned the bench where I was doing the work.
I placed mine just to the right of the serial number vertically above the coax connector.

It must be in the installation instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back