Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Dec 20, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #436 of 467
Not too bad, with the Mimby any non MB bifrost should be very affordable.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #437 of 467
Not too bad, with the Mimby any non MB bifrost should be very affordable.

Well im still windering if its a good buy. I know its usb gen 1 and the dac chip is not the 4490. But is it still a good dac ?

Other than the fact it dsnt support 176.4 files format , since i dont hany any of this file format should i buy it.

Sound wise is it a good dac ??

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #438 of 467
Like 150$

If thats $150 Canadian, then its a pretty good ideal. If you do the upgrades yourself you can upgrade the USB and DAC board for $200 CND. Thats a fully functional 4490 Bifrost for $350 Canadian. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #439 of 467
Hi guys,

I couldn't find the thread for the original Bifrost, and so I thought I would ask you guys. My Schiit Bifrost Uber Gen 2 has been giving me problems recently. In Windows 7 (Desktop) and Windows 8.1 (Laptop), it gives a "USB Device Not Recognized". I've tried fresh installs of W7 and W8.1, trying out different USB cables, trying out different USB ports and even trying out the Schiit drivers for the Bifrost. I can't even install the Bifrost drivers because the driver gives an error about not finding the USB Audio Device before it begins to install.

I've had it since 2014. I already e-mailed Schiit about this today and have yet to receive a reply back. Did the USB board go bad? What do you guys think? It's still under warranty, but if it's a simple fix, then I'd rather hope to not send it in.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #440 of 467
Sounds like you've covered bases pretty good.... Might be a bad board as you said.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #441 of 467
Hi guys,

I couldn't find the thread for the original Bifrost, and so I thought I would ask you guys. My Schiit Bifrost Uber Gen 2 has been giving me problems recently. In Windows 7 (Desktop) and Windows 8.1 (Laptop), it gives a "USB Device Not Recognized". I've tried fresh installs of W7 and W8.1, trying out different USB cables, trying out different USB ports and even trying out the Schiit drivers for the Bifrost. I can't even install the Bifrost drivers because the driver gives an error about not finding the USB Audio Device before it begins to install.

I've had it since 2014. I already e-mailed Schiit about this today and have yet to receive a reply back. Did the USB board go bad? What do you guys think? It's still under warranty, but if it's a simple fix, then I'd rather hope to not send it in.

Out of curiosity are you able to test the toslink and/or coaxial inputs on your Bifrost to see if your problem is isolated to only the USB input?

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #442 of 467
Just received my 4490 upgrade board today!

Initial impressions are it definitely sounds different from the stock bifrost (I didn't do the uber upgrade), soundstage is wider and imaging is definitely improved. I find notes are concluded faster (forgive me if I do not know the correct terminology), which certainly makes a nice change to cymbals and other sharp instruments.

It sounds like the bass is louder, too, as I find my valhalla 2 distorting when it didn't used to (only with my HE-6, though, HD650s sing beautifully). Has anyone else noticed this?

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #446 of 467
  Those of you who have made the Bifrost 4490 upgrade themselves, what kind of ESD precautions did you take to avoid electrostatic discharges?

Had a static braclet around from school I used and thats it. That, and some common know how and sense is all you really need. It's actually a very easy upgrade. Getting all the LED's back into the right place in the front of the case was the only troubling part.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #448 of 467
  What do people here know about connecting Bifrost 4490 dac to a CD-player (to a digital output)?

Does it need anything else than optical or coaxial cable ?

that'll do it.  nothing else needed.

May 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #450 of 467
I just joined this forum and want to say hi.

I’m late to the party but.... Here is my story.

I entered the hi-fi hobby about 40 years ago. I love music but also really enjoy quality sound. It’s a bit odd because my tastes lean towards hard rock, blues, pop and a bit of Jazz. Finding great sounding/produced/mastered hard rock has always been a challenge.

From early on I’ve had the hardware upgrade bug. I’ve always dreamed of owning high end equipment but other priorities in life (kids etc) and my career as an Avionics AME/Engineer have kept me limited to mid-fi.

I have 2 systems which share the same power amp and speakers but are otherwise separate. One is a 2 channel system and the other is a 7.1 surround system.

The main components of my current 2 channel system look like this.

NAD CD542 CDP (slowly dyeing and on its way out)

Schiit Audio Bifrost (original) Dac

VTL 2.5 Pre-amp (various tubes for rolling fun)

Aragon 8008ST power amp (currently out for repair)

Sumo Andromida 3 power amp (filling in for the Aragon and doing remarkably well BTW)

Paradigm Reference Studio 100 V3 main speakers

A pair of Paradigm Reference Servo 15 subs

Generic AR digital interconnects of decent build quality

Flat Copper speaker cable about 1.25 inch wide (Can’t remember the brand)

From reading this thread I get the impression that I’m in the minority in that I am not using headphones at all or any other Schiity products at this time.

I have had the NAD CD542 for roughly 10 years. I downgraded to the NAD from an Arcam FMJ CD23 at a time when financial pressure was high. I really like the NAD but it was a significant downgrade from the Arcam in all respects except bass response which I felt was the only thing stopping the Arcam CD23 from being perfect. Recently the NAD developed tracking/transport issues so I had to decide either to get another CDP or move to a Dac. This is where my Schiit show begins.

I decided to buy a relatively budget dac and do some A/B testing against the NAD using the NAD for a transport while it is still working. My first DAC was a used Micromega MyDac. In A/Bs against the NAD I felt it was very close. The MyDac had a bit better soundstage and slightly refined treble over the NAD but was bested by the NAD in the bass and dynamics dept. It was a worthwhile exercise because it confirmed that the recent non current budget dacs could compete with the NAD and were relatively cheap. This would also allow me to utilize my considerable library of MP3 and growing collection of 24/96 from my laptop. Of course the MP3s sound mostly like crap but are ok for background. The 24/96 using the MyDac was a bit of an upgrade over the NAD playing Redbook but still a bit shy in the bass.

Since the MyDac was ok but still outperformed overall on Red Book by the NAD I decided to try another budget dac. Enter the Bifrost original version. Wow. Not only did it cost roughly the same as the MyDac but looks great, has excellent build quality, is upgradeable and made in North America. The best thing is that it outperformed the MyDac and the NAD, at least to my ears. The MyDac had comparable mids and treble but was easily beaten in the bass and dynamics. So I promptly sold the MyDac locally (for what I paid a few weeks prior).

Last night I ordered the 4490 Dac for my Bifrost. I’m excited to see if this upgrade elevates my Bifrost to the next level and makes the improvement over the NAD significant rather than just clear. If that is the case I will be done with Cd players permanently and will look for a Dac with more inputs. I already need more than 1 optical in.

I’ll keep you posted and thanks for all the info in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back