Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Oct 6, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #421 of 467
I sent my bifrost off last friday. They got it monday and sent it back wednesday so should be here saturday. I think that is great service. Reason i sent it to them is i bought the bifrost uber used and by sending it in they gave a 2 year warranty on the bifrost. Can't beat that I guess.

Upgraded to 4490 I assume?

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #422 of 467
My biggest worry is, if the "Comboburrito" filter is really better than the tried-and-tested AKM in-built filters? AKM has been perfecting their DACs for years now. And wondering if bit-perfect is too accurate as to sacrifice sound quality for resolution? AKM doesn't just take into consideration resolution and accuracy but also sound quality and aesthetics too. Any thoughts on this?
Don't forget that the Bifrost, and Über, have Bit-Perfect Clock Management systems :yum:

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #423 of 467
Has anyone here listened to both the Bifrost and the Meier DACCORD, so that they can compare them? I'm about to decide on one of them and would love some input.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #424 of 467
Just out of pure curiosity, I wonder how many people in this thread have since upgraded to the Mulitbit? Or is everyone sticking with the 4490?

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #426 of 467
I'm sticking with the 4490 for now. It does everything I want it to do. And is the perfect sound for my tastes.

I matched my 4490 with my Lake People G109S for a while and it sounded great. Then I decided to also get the MB version and mated it with the G109S. I moved the 4490 to my computer setup with the Magni2U. Both setups sounded terrific but then last week for the heck of it I decided to switch around the amps. I was surprised by how different both of these setups sounded with this switch.

I don't know if these systems necessarily sound better now or that 1 DAC is superior to the other but I believe there is better DAC/amp synergy with this line change that is bringing the best out out my equipment.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #427 of 467
I matched my 4490 with my Lake People G109S for a while and it sounded great. Then I decided to also get the MB version and mated it with the G109S. I moved the 4490 to my computer setup with the Magni2U. Both setups sounded terrific but then last week for the heck of it I decided to switch around the amps. I was surprised by how different both of these setups sounded with this switch.

I don't know if these systems necessarily sound better now or that 1 DAC is superior to the other but I believe there is better DAC/amp synergy with this line change that is bringing the best out out my equipment.

I've read your reviews and comparisons of both DAC's at length and have since held off on moving to MB. Adding this seems to enforce there's a lot more at play here than a simple "DAC 'A' is better than 'B'" scenario. I'd love to try the MB in my setup, but there's nothing I don't like about the 4490.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #428 of 467
I've read your reviews and comparisons of both DAC's at length and have since held off on moving to MB. Adding this seems to enforce there's a lot more at play here than a simple "DAC 'A' is better than 'B'" scenario. I'd love to try the MB in my setup, but there's nothing I don't like about the 4490.

Yeah the 4490 is indeed a very good sounding DAC. I just like it even more now with the G109S (more so than with the Bimby). The G109S is a very neutral amp that let's you hear the source (which includes the DAC) signature. This combo has a natural sound that just works for me.

At the same time I have become a fan of the Multi Bit DAC sound too. I love the live-like detail they bring to the table. If you're interested in hearing Multi Bit you might consider the reasonably priced Modi MB. I have it as well (with a Vali2). I've compared both of these MB DAC's and I can't really hear much, if any difference, between them.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #430 of 467
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but for anyone who's interested, I just upgraded from a peachtree dac-it to the bifrost 4490. Very happy with the results. Overall, a bit warmer than the peachtree, but there's a nice resolution increase as well. Feel like I'm hearing a fuller sound, especially on tracks with well recorded instrumentals. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again, if there's anyone else out there looking for an upgrade from the peachtree.

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #432 of 467
Ok so i looked around google quite a bit and see a bunch of technical stuff but hoping one of y'all will be able to give me a yes or no answer. Can a 4490 bifrost play 32 bit files?

Right from the Schiit website:
Input Capability: up to 24/192 for all inputs, including 24/176.4

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #433 of 467
I can buy a Bifrost for a good price .. we beleive its the USB 1 generation since even with the driver installed in windows , we cant see 176.4 format into windows ...

is it still a good dac if i dont listen to that format much !?? is it the only difference between the 2 !?

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #434 of 467
What is a good price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back