Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Sep 15, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #406 of 467
Helpful all the time. Even with 24/7 fully on, if you haven't used it for longer than 12 hours, it takes about 10 minutes of music playback for it to play at its best after you resume to listen to it. Maybe that's brain-burn in, but I always feel that way with the Bifrost

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #407 of 467
Hi Levi, yes I am writing about the Modi Multubit. Sorry I do not own a Bimby. I leave my Mimby on all the time, personally I can't say it makes a difference I haven't bothered to do listening tests. The 4490 bifrost I turn off when it is not in use.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #411 of 467
  Is the bifrost MB worth the upgrade from the modi multibit?

Does the bifrost MB get HOT? Can it be left on all the time while away at work for 12 hours at a time? (this is critically important)

Some said they liked the Bifrost 4490 more than the Bimby. And according to Sallison87 the difference between the Bifrost 4490 and Mumby is no huge. So imho the Bimby would not be worth the $350 over the Mumby 
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #412 of 467
Well... I'd say they sound different. Not better or worse, just different. Personally I like the 4490 Bifrost more but I can understand others liking the Mimby more. If you're considering Multibit vs Delta Sigma, I'd recommend buying one of each from Schiit and then sending back the one you like less.

Concerning temperatures, the 4490 Bifrost runs at room temp and my Mimby runs warm but not hot. I wouldn't be concerned about leaving them on unattended.

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #413 of 467
Guys, professionally I am a Sommelier with the Ritz Carlton. There is one wine on our list that costs $600, that some of our guests fawn over, that score 95+ points from magazines, that I think is so horrid I couldn't taste without gagging.

And there is another wine on our list that costs $600 that I think is just about the best thing I have tasted, but one guest couldn't finish half the bottle before sending it back because it wasn't to their liking.

Buy both. Take advantage of Schiit's 15 day return policy. Discover what you like.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #414 of 467
Some said they liked the Bifrost 4490 more than the Bimby. And according to Sallison87 the difference between the Bifrost 4490 and Mumby is no huge. So imho the Bimby would not be worth the $350 over the Mumby :p

Several weeks ago I did a comparison between my 4490, Bifrost MB and newly acquired Modi MB. To recap, to my ears the 4490 (delta sigma) isn't as detailed sounding as the Multibits but stills sounds very good. I like the harder hitting bass of the 4490 but appreciate being able to hear more precisely the bass fingering that you get with the MB DAC's. If forced to choose one over the other I think I would choose the MB simply because I really like to hear detail and the MB does this extremely well. I hear instruments that are well separated which paints a very realistic live-like sonic image.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 4490 and it has a place in my home. I have 3 headphone amps and both the Bifrost 4490 (self upgraded Über) and a Bifrost MB so I jumped at purchasing the Modi MB when it came out. When I compared the Bifrost and Modi Multibits I heard little to no difference between them. Assuming that you're not concerned with future DAC upgradability, then if I were you I would opt for the Modi MB.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #416 of 467
  It was perhaps helpful to know about leaving the DAC on all the time, but I for one, will be doing some lengthy tests after receiving mine to see whether that's really necessary, or if it's just another 'placebo effect' vs. just warming up for a few minutes. All these components left on adds up to an environmental toll.

Also, what is the general consensus on the Bifrost Multibit for how many minutes to let it warm up after powering on?

Finally, what about the recommended length of burn in period?

Probably get some better responses from the Bifrost Multibit thread instead of this one (being the 4490 thread)

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #418 of 467
To me it sounds different.  The Uber sounds sort of sharp because of the chip (as is expected), and the 4490 is much more normal and a smooth sound.

Mind you it's all personal preference.

I did the Uber->4490 because I didn't feel like shipping off my Bifrost.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #419 of 467
  To me it sounds different.  The Uber sounds sort of sharp because of the chip (as is expected), and the 4490 is much more normal and a smooth sound.

Mind you it's all personal preference.

I did the Uber->4490 because I didn't feel like shipping off my Bifrost.

Me too,  I just ordered the 4490 card and installed it myself.  Then I bought the Bifrost MB too.  Now have the best of Bifrosts.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #420 of 467
I sent my bifrost off last friday. They got it monday and sent it back wednesday so should be here saturday. I think that is great service. Reason i sent it to them is i bought the bifrost uber used and by sending it in they gave a 2 year warranty on the bifrost. Can't beat that I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back