Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
May 21, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #271 of 467

I've never heard a USB decrappifier but I am intrigued because from the comments of many on this forum they do seem to work.  I think I might buy a Wyrd and hear what all the fuss is about. 

I'm a bit concerned about the need to 'daisy-chain' decrappifiers together though.  Surely if a decrappifier does the job it's supposed to, you only need one of them before your DAC, not a bunch of them?!

The effects of daisy-chaining them is questionable.  Some claim improvement.  Some claim that it makes things worse.  Some claim it does nothing at all.

I'd recommend you skip the Wyrd and pick up a used Regen on the forums.  Just make sure it's the "Amber" version.

May 21, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #272 of 467
I've never heard a USB decrappifier but I am intrigued because from the comments of many on this forum they do seem to work.  I think I might buy a Wyrd and hear what all the fuss is about. 

I'm a bit concerned about the need to 'daisy-chain' decrappifiers together though.  Surely if a decrappifier does the job it's supposed to, you only need one of them before your DAC, not a bunch of them?!

The regen and the jitterbug do different things. I dont have time to explain but thats what google ia for.

May 21, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #273 of 467
The effects of daisy-chaining them is questionable.  Some claim improvement.  Some claim that it makes things worse.  Some claim it does nothing at all.

I'd recommend you skip the Wyrd and pick up a used Regen on the forums.  Just make sure it's the "Amber" version.

I think people get different results because the devices are system dependent.

May 21, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #274 of 467
I am asking this out of ignorance so please be patient. With all this talk about cleaning up the USB signal wouldn't it be easier to put a sound card with optical out in the computer. Or does this alter the sound via the sound card. Is USB a better signal to start with? Again, I would asking these questions out of ignorance so any info would be helpful.

May 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #275 of 467
Jitter is a much higher concern in optical connection so you need a really good soundcard to deliver a very very low jitter digital signal pass through. USB is computer noise with very low jitter to begin with due to asynchronous connection. It does carry rf and emf noise so you need to get USB decrapifier (isolates the transport usb power and use an external cleaner power to get rid of noise). Some usb decrapifiers have a "buffer or a master clock" chip to reclock the signal for an even better timing of the signal which you hear as better instrument separation and soundstage in music At least that's how I perceive the difference whenusing iFi iUSB 3.0 implementation. Other implementation will have a different effect on sound.

May 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #276 of 467
Just replaced the stock 4490 power cord with a Pangea Audio AC 14SE MKII Signature Power Cable ($50).  

It was hard if there was a difference at first (if any), there was nothing super obvious, but after playing a few songs I realized it just sounded more "musical" and "authentic"... then I realized there was slightly more instrument separation, and sonic ease.  There was an "edge" that was removed that wasn't all that apparent until it wasn't there anymore.  The music felt easier to listen to.  The sound was slightly smoother/more liquid.

I didn't realize power was such an important aspect of audio until I got a power conditioner and now this cable.  You can seemingly improve a system for very little cost... my jitterbugs cost $50 each, the power conditioner I got for around that price on ebay and the Pangea was $50.  The Shunyata Venom power cable is supposed to be better, but it's a bit more expensive.

May 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #277 of 467
I use the same power cables for my Bifrost and Asgard as well, but the RCA interconnects had a far more impact on sound than the power cord in my experience.

May 21, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #278 of 467

I went from Bifrost uber to MB and the difference is not that big to my GF and I, we did a little side by side comparison and while the MB has improvements over the Uber its not something that is easy to notice.  By easy to notice I mean someone who has not spent time listening to better hi-fi equipment will notice it.  Between the Modi2uber and Bifrost Uber most of our friends don't detect any difference, between the Modi2uber and MB it was noticed by 1 in 7 of our friends so far, I would take this as its noticeable but not something that I would consider a large improvement.  The differences can also be taken to be another sound signature vs an improvement/upgrade depending on your preference.  Like everything on these threads YMMV.  I'm still on the fence on updating my uber to 4490 or just getting a new 4490 or even another DAC all together like MHDT Pagoda or AudioGD DAC-19.

Can you please tell me what dac and headphone that you used to compare the Modi 2U to the 2 Bifrost versions ? I am satisfied now with my Modi 2U but after reading some reviews on this thread i just want to upgrade to a Bifrost :)

In my experience with Schiit amps, the expensive does not always mean better. So i am also a little skeptical of dacs upgrading.

Thanks

May 21, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #279 of 467
  Can you please tell me what dac and headphone that you used to compare the Modi 2U to the 2 Bifrost versions ? I am satisfied now with my Modi 2U but after reading some reviews on this thread i just want to upgrade to a Bifrost :)
In my experience with Schiit amps, the expensive does not always mean better.

I just upgraded, pretty nice upgrade from the Modi, more depth, sounds smoother and there's just more weight to the music. I'm pretty happy with the 4490.

May 21, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #280 of 467
  Can you please tell me what dac and headphone that you used to compare the Modi 2U to the 2 Bifrost versions ? I am satisfied now with my Modi 2U but after reading some reviews on this thread i just want to upgrade to a Bifrost
smily_headphones1.gif

In my experience with Schiit amps, the expensive does not always mean better. So i am also a little skeptical of dacs upgrading

Though I cannot attest that Schiit amp upgrades doesn't always become better, I can attest that the sound from their DAC upgrades are definitely getting better especially when you get from any lower Schiit DACs to the Gungnir Multibit or Yggdrasil IMO. IMO, the jump from 4490/MB Bifrost to MB Gungnir (balanced setup) is a lot greater than upgrading from Modi 2U to 4490.

May 22, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #281 of 467
I use the same power cables for my Bifrost and Asgard as well, but the RCA interconnects had a far more impact on sound than the power cord in my experience.

I actually went back to my $6 stock RCAs from some Audioquest Diamondbacks because my stock ones sounded better to me. The DBs had smoother, fuller more analogue sound but were not nearly as precise and directional, especially with complex orchestral stuff. That really surprised me considering I paid $70 for them.

I am still wanting to try the Blue Jeans cables though, have heard good things.

May 22, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #282 of 467
I actually went back to my $6 stock RCAs from some Audioquest Diamondbacks because my stock ones sounded better to me. The DBs had smoother, fuller more analogue sound but were not nearly as precise and directional, especially with complex orchestral stuff. That really surprised me considering I paid $70 for them.

Good thing your not falling for this trap:
If it sounds different, it must be better, especially if It costs more.

More on topic I have a bimby for sale.

May 22, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #283 of 467

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good thing your not falling for this trap:
If it sounds different, it must be better, especially if It costs more.

I used to have the AQ Golden Gate and it too sounded worse than the stock RCAs. Based on my experience, AQ cables are one of the worst price/performance I have experienced.

However, the Violectric RCA cable is the real deal and it indeed bested the stock RCAs in all areas.

May 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #285 of 467

It's about YMMV. To me, the build quality, looks and sound are worth keeping it. As a bonus, they make the Schiit stack look much nicer too. That's why cables are labeled as "audiophile bling". But I won't deny that the Violectric RCA does indeed improve soundstage, imaging, instrument separation, and mids and treble. A noticeable change, but only a small 5% improvement for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back