Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
May 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #286 of 467
Just replaced the stock 4490 power cord with a Pangea Audio AC 14SE MKII Signature Power Cable ($50).  

It was hard if there was a difference at first (if any), there was nothing super obvious, but after playing a few songs I realized it just sounded more "musical" and "authentic"... then I realized there was slightly more instrument separation, and sonic ease.  There was an "edge" that was removed that wasn't all that apparent until it wasn't there anymore.  The music felt easier to listen to.  The sound was slightly smoother/more liquid.

I didn't realize power was such an important aspect of audio until I got a power conditioner and now this cable.  You can seemingly improve a system for very little cost... my jitterbugs cost $50 each, the power conditioner I got for around that price on ebay and the Pangea was $50.  The Shunyata Venom power cable is supposed to be better, but it's a bit more expensive.

I have a Pangea AC9 power cord on my NAD BEE C326 integrated amp and it super juiced this amp!

May 22, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #287 of 467
Just replaced the stock 4490 power cord with a Pangea Audio AC 14SE MKII Signature Power Cable ($50).  

It was hard if there was a difference at first (if any), there was nothing super obvious, but after playing a few songs I realized it just sounded more "musical" and "authentic"... then I realized there was slightly more instrument separation, and sonic ease.  There was an "edge" that was removed that wasn't all that apparent until it wasn't there anymore.  The music felt easier to listen to.  The sound was slightly smoother/more liquid.

I didn't realize power was such an important aspect of audio until I got a power conditioner and now this cable.  You can seemingly improve a system for very little cost... my jitterbugs cost $50 each, the power conditioner I got for around that price on ebay and the Pangea was $50.  The Shunyata Venom power cable is supposed to be better, but it's a bit more expensive.

I also have the Shunyata Venoms on my Arcam preamp and power amp which to my ears refined the amplification portion my audio chain beautifully.

May 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #289 of 467
  Is there a DSD DAC that is comparable to the Bifrost?

Bifrost 4490 should be a dsd dac, the akm 4490 chip supports it, not sure about the bifrost though.

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4490EQ

May 22, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #293 of 467
This is a DSD capable Dac:

http://www.amazon.com/GUSTARD-DAC-X12-ES9018-384KHz-Decoder/dp/B00RCUC94Q

May 23, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #294 of 467
  The effects of daisy-chaining them is questionable.  Some claim improvement.  Some claim that it makes things worse.  Some claim it does nothing at all.

I'd recommend you skip the Wyrd and pick up a used Regen on the forums.  Just make sure it's the "Amber" version.

Just checked out the Regen.  Very interesting concept.   Pity it doesn't come in silver, otherwise I'd have bought it.  All my other gear is silver, so I'd need to think of a way to hide the Regen from view!...

May 23, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #296 of 467
Just bought myself a bifrost multibit. Which setting do you guys use for daily -pc-usage. Includes gaming, watching series en listen music. 192/24bit? or 192/16bit?

May 23, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #297 of 467

The effects of daisy-chaining them is questionable.  Some claim improvement.  Some claim that it makes things worse.  Some claim it does nothing at all.

I'd recommend you skip the Wyrd and pick up a used Regen on the forums.  Just make sure it's the "Amber" version.

Just checked out the Regen.  Very interesting concept.   Pity it doesn't come in silver, otherwise I'd have bought it.  All my other gear is silver, so I'd need to think of a way to hide the Regen from view!...

All my gear is silver also. I've owned a Regen for almost a year. It goes into the back of the DAC, not too far from the BLACK power cord. Don't sweat the color......

May 23, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #298 of 467
Just bought myself a bifrost multibit. Which setting do you guys use for daily -pc-usage. Includes gaming, watching series en listen music. 192/24bit? or 192/16bit?

It sounds best with 16, 44.1 khz

May 23, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #299 of 467

All my gear is silver also. I've owned a Regen for almost a year. It goes into the back of the DAC, not too far from the BLACK power cord. Don't sweat the color......

Yep, the thing is TINY and very easy to hide.  They provide two usb connectors that are both very short and intended to keep the Regen tucked in behind the DAC.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back