Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 28, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,141 of 4,939
Second the Modius. I usually go for multibit DACs but the Modius is something special. I'm using the balanced outputs with a Rupert Neve headphone amp and I'm done buying DACs. Schiit has a 15 day return policy or you can flip it

Do you have any experience with the Bifrost 2? I have the Modius now and wondering if the upgrade is worth it.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,142 of 4,939
Yeah I'm not sure the Modius will be an upgrade from the BF1?!? My goal is a great DAC on a budget so that I can splurge on a high end SS amp to push my Abyss 1266 Phi TC. I was thinking the BF2 was as low as I could go on the DAC side.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,143 of 4,939
Yeah I'm not sure the Modius will be an upgrade from the BF1?!? My goal is a great DAC on a budget so that I can splurge on a high end SS amp to push my Abyss 1266 Phi TC. I was thinking the BF2 was as low as I could go on the DAC side.

What kind of SS amp would you want to pair with the DAC?

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #1,144 of 4,939
Do you have any experience with the Bifrost 2? I have the Modius now and wondering if the upgrade is worth it.
No, I've own a Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit. I know that the Bifrost 2 is all new though and is very popular. Do you like the Modius? I was using it with a Magni 3+ and thought it sounded great but I bought the Neve headphone amp and started using the balanced output. I've never been a big fan of delta sigma DACs, I've owned the Modi 3 and Bifrost 4490, but the Modius has changed my mind.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,145 of 4,939
No, I've own a Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit. I know that the Bifrost 2 is all new though and is very popular. Do you like the Modius? I was using it with a Magni 3+ and thought it sounded great but I bought the Neve headphone amp and started using the balanced output. I've never been a big fan of delta sigma DACs, I've owned the Modi 3 and Bifrost 4490, but the Modius has changed my mind.

I've only had the Modi 3 and Modius. The Modius has been a great DAC so far and a noticeable improvement from the Modi. However, working from home is making me restless and wanting to upgrade. So I ordered the BF2 with hopes that I won't want to upgrade from that for a very long while. I've never heard a multibit DAC before though.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #1,146 of 4,939
I've only had the Modi 3 and Modius. The Modius has been a great DAC so far and a noticeable improvement from the Modi. However, working from home is making me restless and wanting to upgrade. So I ordered the BF2 with hopes that I won't want to upgrade from that for a very long while. I've never heard a multibit DAC before though.
I more or less did the same thing. You won’t be disappointed. I think it’s reasonable to use both if you have room on your desk.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,147 of 4,939
I'm sure you're going to be really happy with the BF2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #1,148 of 4,939
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,149 of 4,939
Reading Nimbus impressions, I would predict that Bifrost 2 should definitely pair up really well with it. If the other two amps you noted are on the warmer side of things, definitely go with Gungnir MB A2 instead as it will balanced the warmth to something more open without compromising dynamics.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,150 of 4,939
howdy... I'm interested in the Bifrost 2 and currently have the BF1. I'm considering the following Dac upgrades from the BF1:

rme adi-2 dac
denafrips ares ii
topping d90
holoaudio spring 2 lvl 2 or spring 1 KTE
bryston bda-2
mhdt orchid
bel canto dac 3.5vb mk2

Essentially in the $700 - $1400 range looking for a DAC that is near "end-game" which I understand is completely subjective. Does the BF2 hold up to some of the more expensive options on this list or should I just bit the bullet and go for quality at the higher price point?

I use USB like .05% of the time but DAP -> Coax like 99.5% of the time so the USB improvements mean near 0 for me.

I prefer a warmer sound signature and am extremely sensitive to sibilance/harsh highs. Looking for something that will scale nicely with higher end gear that I can throw at it in the future (e.g. Nimbus, xi audio formula s).

Is your BF1 multibit or DS?

I haven't heard the modius yet, but I think this is the DS design that Mike commented on last year that 'sounded way better than it should'... As we know, Mike doesn't typically like the sound of DS saying they 'sound like ass' so I'm inclined to believe this is something special in the DS space...

Ive heard it compared favorably to the ADI-2 without all the other features...

Ive been researching several of the same dacs you are looking at and have settled on the BF2 which I plan to order soon... From what I've read it hits way above its price point, especially for SE... In that usage I've heard several people compare it quite favorably to the Yggy.

One of the deciding factors for me has been looking at DAC design and implementation theory. I do think measurements are important, but that there is more going on than what we know how to measure (or at least interpret)... The upshot being that I believe that phase/time domain reproduction is important to our perception and that most DS designs lose some of this in their filter implementation.

Ive seen evidence that some of this is learned and people are more (or less) sensitive to this based on experience.

So personally, I think there is sound science :))) to the aporoach schiit and chord use to design their filters to better reproduce the time domain in addition to the frequency domain (and yes, I know in theory, that DS can do the same IF it doesn't mess with phase) - if you want to get super techy, check out the science on sinc functions and taps :)

How much difference will this make to me? I haven't heard enough different dac designs personally to tell yet - but given that after tone and timbre, I particularly appreciate staging, imaging and depth from my speaker days (which I know is tied to the time domain) , and the GREAT reviews by well respected listeners, I've decided to go with BF2..

Plus, I love the new modular design for future upgrades.

@Torq review of the BF2, I found particularly helpful... He has WAY more experience than I do! LOL

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,151 of 4,939
Is your BF1 multibit or DS?

multibit... it’s clear the bf1 is the weak part in my current chain so would like a clear step up. My concern is that I give 0 fugs about the usb improvement do not sure BF2 is that much of an upgrade. Everything I read about the mhdt orchid is that is punches above it’s weight too.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #1,152 of 4,939
multibit... it’s clear the bf1 is the weak part in my current chain so would like a clear step up. My concern is that I give 0 fugs about the usb improvement do not sure BF2 is that much of an upgrade. Everything I read about the mhdt orchid is that is punches above it’s weight too.

All I can tell you is that if you don't like the presentation of Schiit Multibit, you have to move on to a different DAC. Bifrost 2 would still have the Schiit Multibit sound with just the technicalities such as depth, microdynamics and resolution elevated to what I would consider worthy of being considered as a high end DAC.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #1,153 of 4,939
All I can tell you is that if you don't like the presentation of Schiit Multibit, you have to move on to a different DAC. Bifrost 2 would still have the Schiit Multibit sound with just the technicalities such as depth, microdynamics and resolution elevated to what I would consider worthy of being considered as a high end DAC.
Thanks I think you helped answering question! Schiit multibit is great for enter level to midfi hence per $ punches about its weight. But if BF2 isn’t leagues ahead then likely I need to look elsewhere for hifi option.

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #1,154 of 4,939
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,155 of 4,939

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back