Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,171 of 4,812
Received my BF2. Out of the box BF2 is significantly more detailed. Also it's more dynamic with bass and highs. Guitar sounds come from outside my HiFi a lot more than before. Still trying songs. Initial impressions are nice. Time will tell if it's worth $700 vs $250 mimby

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #1,172 of 4,812
Received my BF2. Out of the box BF2 is significantly more detailed. Also it's more dynamic with bass and highs. Guitar sounds come from outside my HiFi a lot more than before. Still trying songs. Initial impressions are nice. Time will tell if it's worth $700 vs $250 mimby
IMO the bigger question now is if it’s worth $700 vs $200 for the Modius

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #1,173 of 4,812
Or the $99 Modi 3. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #1,175 of 4,812
Personally, I think the Modius is a very capable DAC, especially at only $200. However, I also ended up with the Bifrost to scratch that "what if" itch and just be done with it. I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm curious if you tried mimby. Mimby is same smooth treble in cheaper package.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,176 of 4,812
for me, modi 3 just doesnt make the cut.
I bought modi 3, didnt find it improve the sound over my CXA80 amplifier's inbuilt DAC (Hifi), then bought Topping E90. It is vastly better than Modi3. Then I went Modi multibit route, found it much smoother and holographic. (Yes I returned others)

Now I'm still debating BF2 or modi multibit. The extra bass is simply filled by Loki. Is the wider soundstage and more detailed highs alone worth the extra $450? Or is it better spent upgrading power amp to Schiit Vidar or XTZ edge?

Attachments

• 20200702_232226.jpg
    20200702_232226.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,177 of 4,812
@taranfx , one of the differences I hear between an entry level DAC and a good, more expensive DAC is, the sense of realism in the mid-range. Does the Bf2 not offer a noticeable improvement in realism over the Mimby?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,179 of 4,812
@taranfx , one of the differences I hear between an entry level DAC and a good, more expensive DAC is, the sense of realism in the mid-range. Does the Bf2 not offer a noticeable improvement in realism over the Mimby?
Yep there's more realism in mid-range on lossless good quality tracks. Difference narrows on not so great recordings

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,180 of 4,812
This does not belong in any comparison. I have all three and the modi3 is woefully anemic by comparison. Uh, shrill comes to mind in thinking if it’s overall rendering. While modius and BF2 could never be described that way.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #1,181 of 4,812
Yep there's more realism in mid-range on lossless good quality tracks. Difference narrows on not so great recordings

Depends on how much importance that quality is to you. Bear in mind though that DACs at Bifrost 2 SQ level or higher will always have that realism quality and just varies on how they present their tonality and staging. There are lots of less expensive DACs out there that will sound technically well, but won't have this low-level feeling of realism in their presentation.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,182 of 4,812
for me, modi 3 just doesnt make the cut.
I bought modi 3, didnt find it improve the sound over my CXA80 amplifier's inbuilt DAC (Hifi), then bought Topping E90. It is vastly better than Modi3. Then I went Modi multibit route, found it much smoother and holographic. (Yes I returned others)

Now I'm still debating BF2 or modi multibit. The extra bass is simply filled by Loki. Is the wider soundstage and more detailed highs alone worth the extra $450? Or is it better spent upgrading power amp to Schiit Vidar or XTZ edge?

This does not belong in any comparison. I have all three and the modi3 is woefully anemic by comparison. Uh, shrill comes to mind in thinking if it’s overall rendering. While modius and BF2 could never be described that way.

While I was kidding about Modi 3, I do think the Modi 3 has its place and is certainly not going to cannibalize sales from Schiit's othe DAC offerings for those wanting a mid-to-TOTL DAC. I have not heard Modius, but it really seems to be owning that price-point. My DAC entry into the Schiit storm was Modi Multibit and now I've settled on Bifrost 2. I've not wanted a DS DAC since. Not to say that there aren't really good ones out there -- just don't feel the need. So many good choices! :D

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,183 of 4,812
While I was kidding about Modi 3, I do think the Modi 3 has its place and is certainly not going to cannibalize sales from SChiit's othe DAC offerings for those wanting a mid-to-TOTL DAC. I have not heard Modius, but it really seems to be owning that price-point by storm. My DAC entry into the Schiit storm was Modi Multibit and now I've settled on Bifrost 2. I've not wanted a DS DAC since. Not to say that there aren't really good ones out there -- just don't feel the need. So many good choices! :D
Ok. True the modi3 at half the cost of modius is really attractive. But if they make a Multibit modius theyll for sure lose sales on the bifrost2. I do think an updated Jotunheim is going to drop

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,184 of 4,812
But if they make a Multibit modius theyll for sure lose sales on the bifrost2.

Agreed. That's why I think we will not see a Multibit Modius. Could we see an update to Modi Multibit in the current small form-factor? Sure, but I think Modius was more to provide a lower price mid-size form-factor DAC for those owning an Asgard, Jot, or even Lyr 3 that wanted a lower than BF2 priced DAC and would match and stack. It seems they WAY OVER DELIVERED with Modius!! :D

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,185 of 4,812
I'm curious if you tried mimby. Mimby is same smooth treble in cheaper package.
I have am using Mimby w Vali 2 for my office and bf2 w/ Jot for serious listening and while there is a loss of some resolution and dimensionality it is not night and day IMHO. Definitely a great value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back