Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #4,893 of 4,957
Since I am using powered speakers, is my option to get the Schiit SYS?
Yes, that would make sense. It's the kind of situation SYS is designed for, and it's only $50. I also have a Macbook, and I don't know of any way of controlling the master volume when you plug in a DAC, other than from inside the specific app you're using, as you mentioned.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #4,896 of 4,957
I am using JBL LSR305 monitors.

I looked it up, I think in a perfect scenario you'd adjust volume from the back of the speakers.

But I can see how that can be inconvenient without a remote or something so yeah Sys is probably your best choice.

Quick question:

I assume there is no issue with placing a SYS on top of a warm Bifrost 2/64 that is left on 24/7?

Bifrost itself is not too hot compare to other things (Jot 2, Asgard 3....etc), and Sys itself barely generate any heat.

So you're likely to be ok I think.

As long both unit are left in a well ventilated place.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #4,898 of 4,957
Quick question:

I assume there is no issue with placing a SYS on top of a warm Bifrost 2/64 that is left on 24/7?

No issues. BF2/64 doesn’t get hot enough to be any remote danger to any audio component.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #4,899 of 4,957
Thanks.

There won't be any degradation in sound quality when using the SYS in the chain?

No. It’s a good quality volume pot and some wire traces. Upgrade to the Kara if you want the stepped attenuator. Get a used Saga S if you want a better volume pot.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #4,902 of 4,957
I am using powered speakers. I know the Bifrost 2/64 is DAC only but is it normal for macOS to not even let me adjust the master/signal volume control for it?
This is normal for any Schiit DAC. The device exposes to the operating system that it has no volume control. It works the same way on Windows or Linux.

It was a surprise to me to on my Mac. Indeed, no volume control over USB. Haven’t tested on Windows or Linux. Is this a standard thing with Unison?
Pre-Unison Schiit DACs are the same way and it's not specific to Unison. They're just designed so that you will put some sort of volume control (a headphone amp, preamp, etc.) after the DAC's analog output.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #4,903 of 4,957
This is normal for any Schiit DAC. The device exposes to the operating system that it has no volume control. It works the same way on Windows or Linux.

Pre-Unison Schiit DACs are the same way and it's not specific to Unison. They're just designed so that you will put some sort of volume control (a headphone amp, preamp, etc.) after the DAC's analog output.
What about the Chord Qutest? Does it have a volume control on macOS?

Wish I had known about this volume control thing with Schiit DACs prior to buying one.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #4,904 of 4,957
No. It’s a good quality volume pot and some wire traces. Upgrade to the Kara if you want the stepped attenuator. Get a used Saga S if you want a better volume pot.
I did some quick research and some are saying the Sys actually sounds better than the higher end Schiit preamps like the Saga but then others are saying the opposite.

I'm just a little confused because of all the contradicting information I've read/seen.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #4,905 of 4,957
What about the Chord Qutest? Does it have a volume control on macOS?

Wish I had known about this volume control thing with Schiit DACs prior to buying one.
I don't normally expect a DAC to have volume control. In my view, you'll be getting a really excellent, good sounding DAC in the Bifrost 2/64, and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out an appropriate way to control the volume. Schiit also has a return policy if you buy the SYS and feel that it changes the sound. I don't believe the Chord Qutest has a volume control either, by the way. I do understand that with a powered speaker you want something that you can control at your fingertips. Those with headphones or passive speakers would normally be using a pre-amp/power-amp combination, headphone amp, or integrated amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Quiz
Back