Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #4,876 of 4,953
The more interesting part is on the top right of the boards as pictured. On the older red board (BFM3) there's a TPS7A39 LDO for voltage regulation. It's got a PSRR (higher is better) of 69 dB at 120 Hz and over 50 dB from 10 Hz to 2 MHz. Output voltage noise (lower is better) is 21 μV(rms). The newer green board (BFM4) has got a more discrete implementation with two LT1236 voltage references controlling two separate FETs. Now typical output voltage noise is 2.2 μV(rms) and PSRR over 100 dB at 120 Hz, linearly decreasing to 60 dB at 10 kHz.

TL;DR: the new voltage regulation section is over 10x better and the caps shouldn't matter.
Thought I should mention that the green card in that pair of photos is not a newer version of the OG card after all. It's a 2/64. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-audio-bifrost-2.914084/post-17570818
Probably does contribute to the more linear sound of the 2/64 card. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #4,878 of 4,953
Oh, you're right! They are both OG cards.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #4,879 of 4,953
Does anyone know how hot is OK for BF2/64?
I used to stack it on top of Monoprice THX AAA 887 and it was slightly warm, not more.
Now with Mjolnir 3 arriving I put BF under a monitor stand, and MJ3 on top of it. It has about 2cm clearance from top to the stand and quite a bit of space on the sides.
I noticed that now BF2/64 gets almost as hot as MJ3 in this setup.
Is that a problem long-term? Anyone using theirs in some tight shelfs experiencing this?

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #4,881 of 4,953
So I have been blind testing my BF 2/64 with the dac in my quad vena 2 (ESS 9018k2m). I’m really struggling to hear a difference other then I find the Bifrost slightly more detailed and pleasant sounding with cymbals. This really started because I wanted to test my vena against my Smsl ao200 (the quad was better by a bit). I was going to order a rag 2. Maybe things would be better through xlr, I dunno. Literally the only thing I hate on the quad vena is it will hum when my cell phone is near aand I get texts or simmilar so it sucks in my office. The Bifrost doesn’t do this.

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #4,882 of 4,953
More convincing cymbals is the main thing I like about the sound of Schiit multibit DACs over typical delta-sigma DACs. I think it's a bit better with Yggdrasil OG, but Bifrost 2 has the same thing going on, as I hear it.

The Bifrost 2 really does shrug off a lot of sources of noise that will turn other DACs into a buzzing, sputtering mess. For cell phones, maybe it's all the steel and aluminum in the chassis and top cover. The USB input is great at isolating it from a noisy PC, too.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #4,884 of 4,953
Just received my Bifrost 2/64. Since I am still waiting for my AudioQuest Cinnamon USB-B to USB-C cable, I am temporarily using my printer's USB-B to USB-A cable. I have it connected to my MacBook Pro 14" running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1. I have a question regarding volume control. Apparently I can't control the "master volume" of the Bifrost 2/64 as it is locked to max in macOS. I can only control the volume within apps that have a volume control. Is this how it should be? Apps that don't have a volume control are outputting sound at max volume by default.

Edit: Will I have to use something like the Schiit SYS?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #4,885 of 4,953
Maybe I’m mistaken but shouldn’t there be a headphone amp connected to the Bifrost? That’s where the volume control would be. If you’re connecting your headphone directly to the laptop I don’t think you’re using the Bifrost at all in that config.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #4,887 of 4,953
Just received by Bifrost 2/64. Since I am still waiting for my AudioQuest Cinnamon USB-B to USB-C cable, I am temporarily using my printer's USB-B to USB-A cable. I have it connected to my MacBook Pro 14" running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1. I have a question regarding volume control. Apparently I can't control the "master volume" of the Bifrost 2/64 as it is locked to max in macOS. I can only control the volume within apps that have a volume control. Is this how it should be? Apps that don't have a volume control are outputting sound at max volume by default.

Edit: Will I have to use something like the Schiit SYS?
Just to clarify, Bifrost 2/64 is a DAC only. It has no preamp function and no volume control. You would need to run the Bifrost output to some kind of headphone or speaker amp.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #4,888 of 4,953
I am using powered speakers. I know the Bifrost 2/64 is DAC only but is it normal for macOS to not even let me adjust the master/signal volume control for it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back