Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #4,846 of 4,953
I had a desktop PC with the Sound Blaster AE-9 and 2 x JBL LSR305 monitors and 1 x JBL LSR310S subwoofer. I sold the desktop PC and AE-9 and got a MacBook Pro (14-inch, Nov 2023).

I am looking to get a USB DAC for the MacBook Pro so I can use my speakers (which I still have). I am contemplating between the Bifrost 2/64 and Qutest. I know I can probably use the MacBook Pro's headphone out but would still prefer to get an external DAC for sound quality's sake.

I would appreciate if anyone could point out some impressions or opinions on if the Qutest is worth the extra money over the Bifrost 2/64? More importantly, how would either of these DACs compare to the AE-9 (since I know what the AE-9 sounds like)? I am assuming they both would be a massive/noticeable improvement over the AE-9?

Lastly, I will be connecting/using the DAC via USB connection. Would the Bifrost 2/64 be better in this scenario considering it has a great USB "interface" or USB out?

I'm sorry, I can't compare to the specific items you've listed. But I can say, USB is generally a very good interface for DACs. And yes, as you pointed out, the Bifrost's USB is even better than most. I would not worry over any DAC's USB, unless you've heard specific complaints against a particular unit.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #4,847 of 4,953
Is it correct to say the BF 2/64 in NOS mode sounds warm, saturated and thick and not really neutral and realistic?

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #4,849 of 4,953
Compared to what? It's more neutral than Bifrost 2 OG, but may be warmer than other brands...
Compared to most DAC's out there right now in this price range or less. I actually really enjoy it with all types of music, so it's not really a criticism, but the more I listen and compare it with other gear I hear the built in character. It's very detailed, fun, and open, but I can definitely hear the coloration.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #4,851 of 4,953
Is it correct to say the BF 2/64 in NOS mode sounds warm, saturated and thick and not really neutral and realistic?
but I can definitely hear the coloration.

Yeah both Bifrost 2 OG and Bifrost 2/64 are colored, yes.

But Bifrost 2/64 is the more neutral of the 2. While Bifrost 2 OG is warmer and thicker.

I come from another very colored DAC so I find Bifrost 2/64 sound really neutral to me. I guess it's all relative to where you come from lol.

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #4,852 of 4,953
I actually found the NOS mode to sound a little less warm and "musical" than with the megacomboburrito filter turned on.

Basically:
megacomboburrito = the quintessential Schiit sound, handcrafted to sound correct, in accordance with Schiit's philosophy on what "correct" is.
NOS = soulless, generic DAC. Might as well be a Topping.

But that's just me. :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #4,853 of 4,953
I don't like Nos at all. It's completely removed the musicality and smoothness of the sound to me

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #4,855 of 4,953
I actually found the NOS mode to sound a little less warm and "musical" than with the megacomboburrito filter turned on.

Basically:
megacomboburrito = the quintessential Schiit sound, handcrafted to sound correct, in accordance with Schiit's philosophy on what "correct" is.
NOS = soulless, generic DAC. Might as well be a Topping.

But that's just me. :beerchug:

Thanks, I’m going to try the mega combo burrito mode for a bit and see if I like it more.

Edit: first impression is it seems brighter, edgier, more focused, more narrow sounding. It might actually be better than NOS mode coming out of my tube amps. I will try it out for a few days.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #4,857 of 4,953
I was gonna say, Bifrost 2 OG I'm very very positive I like NOS better.

Bifrost 2/64 I slightly like NOS mode more.

But overall I think I also like Bifrost 2 OG more than Bifrost 2/64.

And am I crazy? For single ended I almost feel like Bifrost 2 OG has higher resolution. Is it because Bifrost 2 OG is natively single ended while Bifrost 2/64 is natively balanced?

That or I'm just crazy?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #4,858 of 4,953
Is it because Bifrost 2 OG is natively single ended while Bifrost 2/64 is natively balanced?
That would be my guess, as well. But I don't have experience with BF2 OG.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #4,859 of 4,953
megacomboburrito mode seems a little strident to me. There is more edge to the sound, and it comes across in a slightly harsh way. Switching to NOS mode removes the edge and it sounds a little more spacious / 3D, but some realism is lost. Now I'm not sure which one I prefer, but leaning towards NOS.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #4,860 of 4,953
megacomboburrito mode seems a little strident to me. There is more edge to the sound, and it comes across in a slightly harsh way. Switching to NOS mode removes the edge and it sounds a little more spacious / 3D, but some realism is lost. Now I'm not sure which one I prefer, but leaning towards NOS.
I share the same sentiments, each has different pros and cons, but the biggest thing for me is that NOS feels like it open up a bit and less restrained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back