Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #4,831 of 4,957
Hey everyone.

Just received my first Schiit product, the Bifrost 2/64, which I bought from another Head-Fi'er. It's an "upgrade" to my Topping DX7Pro.

I know it's a more limited DAC than the Topping, as in it doesn't do native DSD and so forth. So I've been playing through my music in Foobar2K to see what sort of compatibility issues I may find with different formats.

My DSD files seem to convert just fine to PCM and play through the Bifrost. But I have this HDTracks Gary Clark Jr. album in 24bit, 96khz FLAC, and the Bifrost is absolutely freaking out over this and it sounds unlistenable. These parameters ought to be within the Bifrost's capacity, so I don't understand what's happening here.

Any tips for sorting this out?

Thanks for your time.

Schiit_Bifrost_01.jpg

Foobar as issues with WASAPI Event through Unison. Switch to Push and you'll be good!

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #4,832 of 4,957
Looks like issue with 48Khz family and something I guess firmware update resolved.
You know what's super strange. I just tried these tracks in other players, and they play back fine. Seems to be a weirdness with Foobar and Bifrost, as this issue didn't happen with Topping.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #4,833 of 4,957
Apr 5, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #4,834 of 4,957
Got my Bifrost 2/64 card today! Installation is more straightforward than I thought.

I turned my unit off since last night knowing I'll install it today and I don't want to burn myself, gonna let it cook for another 3 days before any serious listening.

But first impression is that it's more smooth and neutral than I thought. I keep reading it's bright, I wouldn't call it bright, I'd say it's just neutral.

THOUGH I kind of see why people would prefer the Bifrost 2 OG, the OG feels like it has a bit more personality. Again will let it burn in for 3 days then come back later.

PXL_20240405_151200935.jpg

PXL_20240405_151218653.jpg

PXL_20240405_151820873.jpg
It's nice to have more flavors if you have multiple amps. I have one amp I prefer with gungnir by a lot. My other 3 with OG BF2. I need to hear the 2/64...

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #4,835 of 4,957
It's nice to have more flavors if you have multiple amps. I have one amp I prefer with gungnir by a lot. My other 3 with OG BF2. I need to hear the 2/64...
I don't know if you've tried Modi Multibit 2.

I find tonality wise, BF2/64 is about in the middle between BF2 OG and MMB2.

Technically wise, off the bat when it runs cold it sounds just "okay" LOL. Will get back to you later.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #4,836 of 4,957
Advice requested: I’m torn between getting a BF2 or Yggy. I can afford both but that does not mean that I should. I have no doubt that the Yggy is a better DAC but will it show on headphones?

Some say no: the Yggy needs a good speaker system or you’re leaving money on the table - better get a BF2. Others say putting on cans is when the Yggy’s technicalities really become audible.

So what do you say?

My cans are Beyers: Amiron Home, T1.2, T5.2.

I’m in the EU with a crappy stock at the distributor, so not easy to audition. Will probably import from the US.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #4,837 of 4,957
I have had a Modi and a Gungnir. I currently have a Modius E, Modi Multibit 2, Bifrost 2, and Yggy Lim, and will be buying the Gungnir 2 (and Singularity card when it comes). They all sound different and will just say, if you can, try out what you want to hear. If you can't just get what sounds like your type of sound. In your case I would consider the classifieds if you can stomach the warranty risk.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #4,838 of 4,957
Advice requested: I’m torn between getting a BF2 or Yggy. I can afford both but that does not mean that I should. I have no doubt that the Yggy is a better DAC but will it show on headphones?

Some say no: the Yggy needs a good speaker system or you’re leaving money on the table - better get a BF2. Others say putting on cans is when the Yggy’s technicalities really become audible.

So what do you say?

I’m in the EU with a crappy stock at the distributor, so not easy to audition. Will probably import from the US.

My Yggy is 100% headphone use. If money is not an object, I'd spring for the best you can. The Yggy is not wasted on HP. This coming from someone who bought and uograded the Bifrost 1, BF2, then upgraded to BF 2/64. The Yggy always tempted me, but I didn't want to spend the money. So I ended uo spending more. 🙃

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #4,839 of 4,957

So what do you say?

Can only speak for me. I had the BF 2/64 and loved it. Extremely happy. I thought I'd try the Yggy GS2 due to the value proposition. Well, listening for the 1st time I was blown away. Not by a little, but BLOWN away. As a couple weeks passed the Yggy kept changing and eventually dialing in to what my ears hear as perfection. Better depth, better Timbre, and this I'm not as sure about, but warmer!(?).

YMMV

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #4,840 of 4,957
I never understood why I would need to use speakers to get the most out of a DAC. Staging is enhanced regardless of the output device (though I can see how speakers would draw out those differences more) and certainly having a single full-range driver, which most headphones are, to evaluate a DAC has uses too. I guess my point is that in order to get a full picture of a DAC’s capabilities, one should probably evaluate both speaker and headphone performance.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #4,841 of 4,957
I never understood why I would need to use speakers to get the most out of a DAC. Staging is enhanced regardless of the output device and certainly having a single full-range driver to evaluate a DAC has uses.
I don't know about "getting the most out of". But there's definitely been a few DAC that I thought was ok on my headphone, then I sold it to some speaker dudes then they super love it.

Could also just be the synergy in a chain.

I sold my Denafrips Ares II and SMSL SU-1 both to speaker guys and both enjoyed it. :relaxed:

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #4,842 of 4,957
I don't know about "getting the most out of". But there's definitely been a few DAC that I thought was ok on my headphone, then I sold it to some speaker dudes then they super love it.

Could also just be the synergy in a chain.

I sold my Denafrips Ares II and SMSL SU-1 both to speaker guys and both enjoyed it. :relaxed:
The Ares 2 is a good DAC to use as an example. If I had only used the Ares 2 on my desktop speakers, I may not have noticed that there’s a drop off in low bass with that DAC because my bookshelf speakers also roll off below 60Hz. And once I upgraded my headphone amp to the Mjolnir, the Ares 2 staging was kind of a revelation, so it is possible to hear the differences with headphones.

Anyways, this is off-topic. The BF2 is a solid DAC in the sub-$1000 range. And it’s a total workhorse!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #4,843 of 4,957

So what do you say?

Any YGGY flavors would easily be audible on headphones. I believe in EU, the OG is still available so I'd grab one before they truly go out. In North America, only the GS2 is the definitive upgrade over BF2/64 IMHO especially in technicalities when buying only brand new DAC or More Is Better flavor if you're in pursuit of the classic/vintage denser R2R sound (homage to Bifrost Multibit 1) and most microdetail resolving Schiit DAC as of now

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #4,844 of 4,957
After spending many hours over the last two days, I can say, the BF2/64 is a solid upgrade to what I had before.

Before, I was running Topping DX7Pro>Little Bear Selector Box>Emotiva Active Speakers, or DX7Pro>Little Bear Selector Box>Audio-GD NFB-28>Headphones

Since the Bifrost doesn't have volume control, I need to run everything through the NFB-28. So I've gotten rid of the Little Bear in my chain. And I've upgraded my interconnect to a shorter, thicker gauge set of XLRs.

Current chain looks like this: Bifrost>NFB-28>Speakers || Headphones.

I tell you all this to emphasize more has changed than merely the DAC.

Whether we're talking headphones or speakers, the balance is noticeably warmer, with more low-end impact and smoother highs. The midrange possesses a weight and almost tangible presence it previously lacked. Everything conveys a more natural and organic quality.

While I never had any outright complaints with the Topping DAC, comparatively, it is thinner, colder, and more tinny sounding. Something I could only hear after switching to Schiit.

HiFiMAN_HEKStelth_04.jpg

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #4,845 of 4,957
I had a desktop PC with the Sound Blaster AE-9 and 2 x JBL LSR305 monitors and 1 x JBL LSR310S subwoofer. I sold the desktop PC and AE-9 and got a MacBook Pro (14-inch, Nov 2023).

I am looking to get a USB DAC for the MacBook Pro so I can use my speakers (which I still have). I am contemplating between the Bifrost 2/64 and Qutest. I know I can probably use the MacBook Pro's headphone out but would still prefer to get an external DAC for sound quality's sake.

I would appreciate if anyone could point out some impressions or opinions on if the Qutest is worth the extra money over the Bifrost 2/64? More importantly, how would either of these DACs compare to the AE-9 (since I know what the AE-9 sounds like)? I am assuming they both would be a massive/noticeable improvement over the AE-9?

Lastly, I will be connecting/using the DAC via USB connection. Would the Bifrost 2/64 be better in this scenario considering it has a great USB "interface" or USB out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back