Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
May 22, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #4,247 of 4,957
zexk, I would use the same caps but if I remove them from the OG card, the leads will be really short and hard to work with, and also I'd rather risk ruining one card than both. Anyway, I got six Nichicon Fine Golds for $13 on Amazon. I'll let you all know how it affects the sound in a few days...

Orange5o - yeah, I've gone back and forth for months. I get that the 2/64 card has better detail and maybe a bigger soundstage, etc., but it just isn't as engaging.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #4,248 of 4,957
zexk, I would use the same caps but if I remove them from the OG card, the leads will be really short and hard to work with, and also I'd rather risk ruining one card than both. Anyway, I got six Nichicon Fine Golds for $13 on Amazon. I'll let you all know how it affects the sound in a few days...

Orange5o - yeah, I've gone back and forth for months. I get that the 2/64 card has better detail and maybe a bigger soundstage, etc., but it just isn't as engaging.
The card in the picture is actually 2/64.

May 22, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #4,249 of 4,957

That's part of it, but also I have some mild tinnitus that has constantly led me towards warmth. Switched from planar to dynamic, then led me to Yggy LIM in my speaker setup, and now everything I power has 1-2 stages of tubes. This is part of it.

May 23, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #4,250 of 4,957
Hello:

Looking for some advice on the choice between two dacs:

I've been a fly on the wall for a long time now regarding the purchase of one of Schiit's dacs; then they went missing in action for a while now they're back.

I have a simple 2 channel system whose main listening use encompasses the playing of CD's, audio files, internet music/movies etc. Here's the thing, I'm wanting a relatively warm sounding dac and my choices narrowed down are between the Modi Multibit 2 and the Bifrost 2/64. I know that there are warmer analogue like sounding dacs out there, but I desire one of Schiit's as they are affordable. So, if there is anyone that could speak to this (which of the two would have a warmer presentation), I'd be grateful as it is an expensive endeavour if I get it wrong and have to send it back - I'm not from the US of A.

I know this question is subjective, but I relish opinions and would be happy with any input.

Thanks. Look forward to hearing back from those who would be willing to chime in.

Cheers.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #4,251 of 4,957
Hello:

Looking for some advice on the choice between two dacs:

I've been a fly on the wall for a long time now regarding the purchase of one of Schiit's dacs; then they went missing in action for a while now they're back.

I have a simple 2 channel system whose main listening use encompasses the playing of CD's, audio files, internet music/movies etc. Here's the thing, I'm wanting a relatively warm sounding dac and my choices narrowed down are between the Modi Multibit 2 and the Bifrost 2/64. If there is anyone that could speak to this, I'd be grateful as it is an expensive endeavour if I get it wrong and have to send it back as I'm not from the US of A.

I know this question is subjective, but I relish opinions and would be happy with any input.

Thanks. Look forward to hearing back from those who would be willing to chime in.

Cheers.
Both are not really warm sounding DACs imo. They're are more neutral sounding. You might want to seek out a used MM1, Bifrost 1 Multibit or BF2 OG if you're looking for warmth.

May 23, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #4,252 of 4,957
Both are not really warm sounding DACs imo. They're are more neutral sounding. You might want to seek out a used MM1, Bifrost 1 Multibit or BF2 OG if you're looking for warmth.
@2bxfile I've never listened to the MM2 but I have a good amount of experience with every other DAC mentioned above and can confirm I agree with the statements about those DACs.

May 23, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #4,253 of 4,957
Thanks to you both. I guess neutral sounding is closer to what I'm looking for as compared to them being bright, although I have read others describe the Bifrost as a bit crisp and bright to the ears and the MM2 as a bit dark.

I'd like to buy new with warranty.

I think the best decision would be to order the less expensive one - better to be disappointed with less money out of pocket than more than double.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #4,254 of 4,957
Thanks to you both. I guess neutral sounding is closer to what I'm looking for as compared to them being bright, although I have read others describe the Bifrost as a bit crisp and bright to the ears and the MM2 as a bit dark.
I think the best decision would be to order the less expensive one - better to be disappointed with less money out of pocket than more than double.

Thanks again.
Then again, ppl do sometimes sell the OG BF2 card for not too terribly much. If the 2/64 didn't feel warm enough to you you can easily swap out the cards yourself 🙂

May 23, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #4,256 of 4,957
Then he is just wasting money at that point, assuming he ends up not liking 2/64 board. Used BF2 OG can be found for around 500.
FWIW, he did say neutral was fine. I would describe the 2/64 as pretty neutral. Of course, used will always be less, and it's not necessarily a waste, particularly if you buy used and then sell, but he did say he wanted to buy new.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #4,259 of 4,957
Thanks guys - you are generous with your help. Can you tell me what the BF2 OG has inside and how far back it goes in the Bifrost lineage?
I believe the OG BF2 came out around late 2019 or early 2020. Uses Analog Devices chips as opposed to TI on the 2/64. The OG BF2 was the 1st Unison equipped DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back