Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 30, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #4,231 of 4,957
Geshelli Labs is another US company making DACs … though I don’t know if they are also having supply chain delays
Geshelli ( I have read) generally takes about a month, but all of their dacs are custom-built - you choose the case material (metal or wood) and color, the end-plate plexiglass color, the specific dac chip (ESS or AKM) and the op-amps. So the wait is reasonable. I am coming up on a month this week waiting for mine.

Of course, this is also a different dac philosophy than the Bifrost (delta sigma chip vs multibit r2r chip). The Geshelli is so inexpensive, I am just trying it for fun and hoping I like the way it sounds.

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #4,232 of 4,957
Geshelli Labs is another US company making DACs … though I don’t know if they are also having supply chain delays
Geshelli simply lists their DACs as "Available on backorder" - but from a design/assembled in the USA and customer service standpoint they are a well respected company
- I own a Mahogany cased J2 and it works well for what it is
- Footprint is roughly the same size as a Modi Multibit 2 (which I also own)

That said, Geshelli's DAC offerings are different from Schiit's
- Delta/Sigma only - ESS (9026pro, 9038q2m) or AKM (4493) optional "rollable" Opamp on the AKM version
- Wood case option - with a variety of faceplate/backplate glass color options - very different aesthetic than what you'll find from Schiit

If you're absolutely set on Multibit then Schiit's Modi Multibit 2 or Bifrost 2/64 are the only really contenders in the design/assembled in the USA market space (sub $1k)
- Worth looking in the classifieds if you don't want to wait it out - no real "moving parts" on DACs so fewer things to go wrong from a used perspective

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #4,233 of 4,957
If you've ordered a BF2/64, say, within the last 8-10 weeks or so, could you kindly chime in and advise whether they are actually shipping them out these days? I'm still evaluating whether spending more on a desktop rig makes sense for me. Just trying to gauge whether I potentially need to look elsewhere for a sub-$1,000 DAC, but my preference is to not go Chi-fi as I strongly prefer domestic (in the U.S.) service.
I ordered another one last week of March and still waiting. So at just over 4 weeks now.

May 3, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #4,234 of 4,957
I went ahead and placed an order. It seems new orders are looking at > 12 weeks for sure before fulfillment. I'll know (or at least feel more comfortable about "knowing") within ~8 weeks or so if I'll use something like the Bifrost enough to justify having one. If I determine my use is too limited to justify an external DAC (I bought a Jot2 with ES9028 DAC card 5+ weeks ago), I'll just cancel my order.

May 3, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #4,235 of 4,957
May 20, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #4,238 of 4,957
Really thinking of going for a bifrost 2/64 to pair with my jot2, what could I expect to gain from upgrading from a modi+?
What an upgrade! Sabre DAC to multibit DAC is definitely a total switch in DAC technology. I've owned the Modi 3 AK4490, Bifrost 4490, Bifrost multibit, Modi multibit 1, Modi multibit 2, Modius AK4493, Modi 3E ES918. I still have the Modi multibit 1 but the Modi multibit 2 gets the use. I've always preferred the multibit over the delta sigma DACs but that's just personal preference. I love the MM2, its a bargain at $300. I'm retired so the newest Bifrost is out of my budget. I'll be interested to know if you go with the new Bifrost and reading your impressions.

May 20, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #4,239 of 4,957
So I have two BF2 OGs, one with red PCB and the other with green PCB. Maybe it's my brain but I found the green PCB BF2 to sound a bit brighter and a bit less warm than the red one. The green PCB has all Würth Elektronik capacitors while the red one is using Nichicons. I feel like they're two different DACs.
OG red.PNG
OG green.PNG

May 22, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,240 of 4,957
deleted

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #4,242 of 4,957
Hmm. I've withdrawn the listing for my Bifrost 2/64 upgrade card. zexk is right, and has got me thinking I might as well void my warranty and replace the caps with Nichicon. I've been cap-swapping in my OTL amp recently, so why not do the DAC, too? Just gotta get up outta this recliner...

May 22, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #4,243 of 4,957
Hmm. I've withdrawn the listing for my Bifrost 2/64 upgrade card. zexk is right, and has got me thinking I might as well void my warranty and replace the caps with Nichicon. I've been cap-swapping in my OTL amp recently, so why not do the DAC, too? Just gotta get up outta this recliner...
Bold move. But from my experience with owning two BF2 and had owned multiple Modius in the past (there are three or four versions of the board), the boards with Nichicon caps sounded warmer than the ones with WE caps.

May 22, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #4,244 of 4,957
Thanks - good to know. Warmth is what was missing. And timbre. Looking for Nichicon caps right now, and I can replace them for less than I'd lose by selling the 2/64 card. Just can't decide between Nichicon ES Muse or Fine Gold, or Nippon Chemi-Con KZG...

May 22, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #4,245 of 4,957
Thanks - good to know. Warmth is what was missing. And timbre. Looking for Nichicon caps right now, and I can replace them for less than I'd lose by selling the 2/64 card. Just can't decide between Nichicon ES Muse or Fine Gold, or Nippon Chemi-Con KZG...
Or just use the same caps that Schiit used on the first batch of boards. I think there is a chance you might end up being dissapointed after re-capping. You might lose out on some details. Here is my board that I took prior to listing. There was warmth but I just didn't like how the soundstage was a bit pushed back. I'm sure yours probably sound a bit leaner with all those WE caps.
12066513.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back