Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 8, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #211 of 4,957
As seen on my the first page of this thread, I don't stack my bifrost 2 and not put it on an enclosed cabinet as well since it runs much hotter than bifrost MB that I have which is room temp to touch. I can imagine Bifrost 2 getting over 140 degrees F when stacked with any Schiit amp (even the original Saga which runs very cool BTW) and placed on an enclosed cabinet. I only put my W4S uLink SPDIF stacked on top which doesn't generate much heat at all.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #212 of 4,957
Thanks everyone. I have no concerns with the temp of either unit individually, I was just a bit nervous about them stacked. I'm glad that it seems to be more a case of my being a Nervous Nellie. I have some nice 1' RCA cables like those used with the Schittr tube blind test on their way, so the pair will be stacked once more by the end of the week. What the heck, it may be nice to sit next to a toasty Schiit stack come late Fall and Winter. :D

It does look so nice when stacked!!

L3-BF2 stack (1).jpg

I bought some of these https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8 and placed them between my Bifrost 1 and Lyr 3. This has reduced the heat emanating from the stack

Thanks @quimbo. I'll probably be getting these, even if just to I placate my OCD self!! :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #213 of 4,957
I stack my Asgard 3 on top of my Bifrost 2. They get warm. It's fine. We wouldn't have a 5-year warranty if we didn't think they wouldn't last 10 when stacked like that. Remember, we've been around for 9.5 years now, building products that ran a LOT hotter than Asgard 3 and Lyr 3 (looking at you, previous Asgards and Lyrs), without thermal failures.

Before I stacked the Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2, I stacked my Lyr 3 on top of my Bifrost 2 prototype (which was in a 3D printed plastic chassis.) The plastic chassis melted a bit, but it worked fine for about a year otherwise.

However...stacking things on top of the amp (Jotunheim, Asgard 3, etc) is not such a great idea--which is why the manuals say you shouldn't block the vent holes.

@Jason Stoddard Is Asgard 3 capable of running standing on it's left end (transformer side) like Asgard 2 was? And if a module is added will it block off the vent holes on the right end (now top)?

any pics of the plastic Bifrost 2? we understand that was just an engineering sample :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #215 of 4,957
Got my BF2 on Saturday and using with a new xduoo TA-20 (replaced Chinese tubes with matched new Mullard (Russian) for now)
Headphones massdrop DT-177X GO balanced cable and Pads swapped to brainwavz xl perforated

For a completely brand new system seems pretty sweet ... I put this together for possible office duty but I like it alot

No heat issues with BF2 just slightly warm to touch then again my BF2 is on top of everything and completely open the air

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #217 of 4,957
@Jason Stoddard Is Asgard 3 capable of running standing on it's left end (transformer side) like Asgard 2 was? And if a module is added will it block off the vent holes on the right end (now top)?

any pics of the plastic Bifrost 2? we understand that was just an engineering sample :)

You can run anything we make standing on end, but it's not very stable. The newer amps are slimmer than the old ones, and more likely to fall over. I personally wouldn't do it.

Here's a Bifrost 2 prototype:

bifrost 2 prototype.jpg

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 9, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #218 of 4,957
Prototype for a Bifrost 2 GT Carbon Fiber edition, maybe? :thinking:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #219 of 4,957
Quick questions for Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 owners: Do any of you folks stack your Lyr 3 on top of the Bifrost 2? If so, how do you feel about the temps? When I do, it Seems VERY toasty -- not just for Lyr 3, but also for Bifrost 2. I use a tube-saver to lift my 6SN7 tubes at top case level and the unstacked Lyr 3 gets just slightly warm to the touch. If I set the Bifrost 2 to the side, it also gets barely warm to the touch. If I stack the 2 -- HOLY COW!!! The Lyr 3 gets UNCOMFORTABLY warm/hot and the Bifrost 2 gets VERY warm/hot -- especially on the left-side where the power circuitry and transformer is located. Any of y'all get the same results?

I stack them, the temps seem fine though.
Ambient temperature is about 25°C (77°F). I measured with an IR-thermometer, and the top plate of Lyr3 is about 40°C (104°F), and so is the top plate of Bifrost2. Warm, but not toasty.

I too use a socket saver so the tube is elevated with its base just over the top plate. I also use small rubber pads under the built-in feet of Lyr3, making the clearance between them about 1cm (2/5 inch).

Edit: Temps measured about four hours after startup, but they don’t seem to get any hotter that when left on for longer either.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #220 of 4,957
Great information about heat @Jason Stoddard and others.

Any concerns about noise or interference?

I stack a Loki Mini on top of a Modi Multibit and a Sys on top of the Loki (and a Mani on top of the Sys). This stack sounds great.

Would it sound better if arranged differently?

Would I have any issues if I replaced the Modi with a Bitfrost 2?

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #221 of 4,957
Well, after nearly two weeks I think I'm gonna call it -- I simply prefer the Bifrost Multibit w/ the A3. BF2/A3 seems almost like too much of a good thing -- the BF2 is definitely moderately more resolving and clear, but I think that comes at the cost of overall dynamicism and engagement (for me). The A3 nicely compliments the Bimby's more muscular and aggressive sound signature, whereas BF2/A3 is a bit too laid back a combination for my tastes, it simply wasn't scratching the itch for me.

I bet the BF2 is a joy with Schiit's other amps though, like Jotunheim (with balanced outs that's probably the best combo logistically, as well) and Lyr 3. (I'd spent a tiny amount of time with the A2/BF2 combo at Schiitr and even that seemed like an awesome pairing.) But the A3/Bimby combo is really special and I urge anyone with a Bimby to try it out before upgrading to BF2, it may be all you were looking for, as it turns out was the case for me.

That said, I'll be jumping on the Unison upgrade whenever that's available.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #222 of 4,957
Well, after nearly two weeks I think I'm gonna call it -- I simply prefer the Bifrost Multibit w/ the A3. BF2/A3 seems almost like too much of a good thing -- the BF2 is definitely moderately more resolving and clear, but I think that comes at the cost of overall dynamicism and engagement (for me). The A3 nicely compliments the Bimby's more muscular and aggressive sound signature, whereas BF2/A3 is a bit too laid back a combination for my tastes, it simply wasn't scratching the itch for me.

I bet the BF2 is a joy with Schiit's other amps though, like Jotunheim (with balanced outs that's probably the best combo logistically, as well) and Lyr 3. (I'd spent a tiny amount of time with the A2/BF2 combo at Schiitr and even that seemed like an awesome pairing.) But the A3/Bimby combo is really special and I urge anyone with a Bimby to try it out before upgrading to BF2, it may be all you were looking for, as it turns out was the case for me.

That said, I'll be jumping on the Unison upgrade whenever that's available.

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #223 of 4,957

That's actually kind of my impression as well between the Modi Multibit and Bifrost 2 on a speaker rig. I wouldn't say the Bifrost 2 is more laid back necessarily, but to my ears the BF2 is less neutral and adds a layer of color to the sound that ends up being over the top (for me anyway). It's fun and really impresses when you first fire it up, but over time it's just too much. I'm not sure it's even more resolving all of the time... there are definitely cases where I notice more details with the BF2, but when musical passages get more involved, it's a toss up or even slightly in favor of the MM.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #224 of 4,957
I bet the BF2 is a joy with Schiit's other amps though, like Jotunheim (with balanced outs that's probably the best combo logistically, as well) and Lyr 3.

It is great with the Lyr3. I also have the multibit card, and to my ears the Bifrost2 is definitely the better sounding DAC. In fact, was surprised that a DAC could make such a big difference.

Edit: And they stack very nicely as well :relaxed:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #225 of 4,957
^^ I absolutely agree!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back