Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #196 of 4,926
As a matter of habit, I do not turn power off my DACs and most electronics (except tube gear, of course). My thoughts are the inrush surge and stress of power-on would contribute more to electronics detriment than leaving it on (assuming a good power suppressor / filter). It doesn't hurt that I believe gear sounds better when warmed up. :wink:

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #197 of 4,926
Well as an owner of Gungnir MB, I can say with confidence that Gungnir sounds different 3 to 4 days after being on then on very first day. On first day it sounded cold and bright. I left it on for few days and then compared against Qutest and to my surprise I experienced dense tonality of Multibit for first time with better treble. I never switched it off after that and got better surge protector to protect it.
This is pretty typical of most R2R-type DACs.

The Yggy is notorious for requiring 3-4 days of continuous on-time before it sounds it's best, which is why it's recommended to just leave Schiit's multibit DACs on 24/7 while you are actively using it.

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #198 of 4,926
Bifrost 2 -- In Da House!!!

Letting her warm-up a day before getting serious, but so far ... :thumbsup:

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #200 of 4,926
Retreads and a Bifrost 2 sounds like a good compromise to me. :D

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #203 of 4,926
Retreads and a Bifrost 2 sounds like a good compromise to me. :D

Yeah... I get basically 5-6 months of winter up here. Don't want to cheap out on tires.

Dammit forgot to use tags. Misunderstood sarcasm rears its ugly head once more ... :wink:

Move to Texas. We get 10 mos. of Summer!! :D

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #204 of 4,926
OK. After one day with thr Bifrost 2, I'm really finding it to be a very nice DAC representing a very worthwhile upgrade from my Modi MB and Topping D50. I'll give some more listening over the next few days before saying anything more than that. :wink:

Quick questions for Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 owners: Do any of you folks stack your Lyr 3 on top of the Bifrost 2? If so, how do you feel about the temps? When I do, it Seems VERY toasty -- not just for Lyr 3, but also for Bifrost 2. I use a tube-saver to lift my 6SN7 tubes at top case level and the unstacked Lyr 3 gets just slightly warm to the touch. If I set the Bifrost 2 to the side, it also gets barely warm to the touch. If I stack the 2 -- HOLY COW!!! The Lyr 3 gets UNCOMFORTABLY warm/hot and the Bifrost 2 gets VERY warm/hot -- especially on the left-side where the power circuitry and transformer is located. Any of y'all get the same results? Do you folks think it's a bad idea to stack them? Some say a toasty Schiit stack is a happy Schiit stack and others say Heat is the enemy of all electronics. Your thoughts, please.

Thanks!!!

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #205 of 4,926
OK. After one day with thr Bifrost 2, I'm really finding it to be a very nice DAC representing a very worthwhile upgrade from my Modi MB and Topping D50. I'll give some more listening over the next few days before saying anything more than that. :wink:

Quick questions for Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 owners: Do any of you folks stack your Lyr 3 on top of the Bifrost 2? If so, how do you feel about the temps? When I do, it Seems VERY toasty -- not just for Lyr 3, but also for Bifrost 2. I use a tube-saver to lift my 6SN7 tubes at top case level and the unstacked Lyr 3 gets just slightly warm to the touch. If I set the Bifrost 2 to the side, it also gets barely warm to the touch. If I stack the 2 -- HOLY COW!!! The Lyr 3 gets UNCOMFORTABLY warm/hot and the Bifrost 2 gets VERY warm/hot -- especially on the left-side where the power circuitry and transformer is located. Any of y'all get the same results? Do you folks think it's a bad idea to stack them? Some say a toasty Schiit stack is a happy Schiit stack and others say Heat is the enemy of all electronics. Your thoughts, please.

Thanks!!!

I had a Lyr 3 / Jotunheim / Bifrost triple stack and the bottom Jot and Bifrost got very hot (even with the Lyr 3 off). I moved the bifrost over the left and brought the Jot down to desk level and the temps went back to normal.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #206 of 4,926

Thanks!!!

I have the same stack and haven't really much worried about heat to be honest. They have a lot of room on the sides. I do know the bifrost 2 runs a lot hotter than bifrost "1" even if not stacked. Lyr 3 isn't all that hot to me compared to my previous Lyr 2. I guess I haven't noticed any alarming temps with the two stacked. I'm sure some taller risers under Ly 3 like you mentioned would drop temps quite a bit if you are worried about longevity.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #207 of 4,926

Thanks!!!

I keep a Lyr 3 on a Bifrost 2 in an enclosed area, when I turn on the Lyr 3 for a few hours it does get pretty warm but I can still keep my hand on it comfortably, and the Bifrost 2 is noticeably not as hot as the Lyr 3.

As long as you don't keep the Lyr 3 on 24/7 there shouldn't be any longevity issues with a stack, and it looks quite nice too:

2Jx1Cws.jpg

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #208 of 4,926

Thanks!!!
I bought some of these https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8 and placed them between my Bifrost 1 and Lyr 3. This has reduced the heat emanating from the stack

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #209 of 4,926
Yeah if you're really concerned, just get feet that are taller than the stock feet for the Lyr 3 (or, if you want even more room for the Bifrost 2 to breathe, for both). I use Herbie's Tenderfeet. Taking off the stock feet is very easy (as is putting them back on, just pull/press from/into the chassis holes on the bottom).

People hand wringing about Schiit stack heat has been a thing for as long as I can remember, and I'm of the opinion that it's a non-issue. Schiit gear is supposed to get hot, their chassis designs double as their components' heastinks, much of the time. I kept an OG Bifrost 1 (pre-Multibit, a pre-order model so it got a lot hotter than later revisions) stacked with a very hot Little Dot MK III for years, the Bifrost 1 on 24/7, and the Bifrost 1 never skipped a beat.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #210 of 4,926
I stack my Asgard 3 on top of my Bifrost 2. They get warm. It's fine. We wouldn't have a 5-year warranty if we didn't think they wouldn't last 10 when stacked like that. Remember, we've been around for 9.5 years now, building products that ran a LOT hotter than Asgard 3 and Lyr 3 (looking at you, previous Asgards and Lyrs), without thermal failures.

Before I stacked the Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2, I stacked my Lyr 3 on top of my Bifrost 2 prototype (which was in a 3D printed plastic chassis.) The plastic chassis melted a bit, but it worked fine for about a year otherwise.

However...stacking things on top of the amp (Jotunheim, Asgard 3, etc) is not such a great idea--which is why the manuals say you shouldn't block the vent holes.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back