Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jun 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,591 of 1,717
Hi guys!this is he day!!! Pro Audio(Italian Hi Fi Seller) have SHIIT AUDIO!
what's sound asgard with ECHO AUDIOFIRE 4 and iPod 5.5 80gb?

Who win Burson ha160 or Asgard
Excuseme for my english.i'm napolitan(italy):D

I listen all genres,but very Jazz and Hil Hop(MF DOOM!EL-P,Madlib ecc...)

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,592 of 1,717
I brought my new Bifrost and my Asgard into work with me today (They're "portable" right?
beyersmile.png
) I noticed my Asgard getting pretty warm so I thought I would bust out my Fluke and thermocouple module and take some measurements. In the case of this set of measurements, the Fluke is reading degrees Ferenheit to 2 decimal places. It's accurate enough for this test.

First I stuck the tip of the probe slightly into the grate at the top of the amp. This reading went as high as 120F, but settled around 117.5F.

Next, in somewhat of a scientifically elegant manner, I taped the probe to the top of the Asgard with electrical tape. That yielded 110F.

Next, I taped the probe to the volume knob using the same precision electrical tape. I forgot to take a pic of the probe, but the temperature landed around 106F.

Finally, my ambient temperature was hovering at 75F. As a side note, I did not do much at work today.
L3000.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,593 of 1,717
Can you perform that test with the amp sitting in the vertical position? 

I'd like to see if there is any noticeable difference.  The little book that came with my Asgard suggested that I set it in a vertical position with the volume knob at the bottom. (see my avatar)  I use mine in both positions depending on where I use it and how much space is available.  I put rubber feet on both sides to keep the unit from resting directly on any surface no matter how I have it positioned. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #1,594 of 1,717
I can try to do that at home. My ambient temperature will be much different, though. It's usually less than 68F in my house whereas my office was 75. I did think about doing this, but it was already 4:15 by the time I finished the measurements and posting so it was almost time to go home.
biggrin.gif
I will just have to sneak the Fluke home with me.

I suspect the measurement will be lower because there is much more surface area of the outer aluminum case exposed to moving air when you have the Asgard in the vertical position. Also, the PCB is mounted to the bottom of the case so naturally there will be a lot of heat transferred to the bottom of the aluminum case.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #1,596 of 1,717
I don't know about distributors in your area, but if you can't find anything get if from Schiit directly IMO. 
Edit: You could send 'em an email asking for distributors in your area. 

For me shipping is ~$60 which I can handle. Turns out to be about $10 cheaper from Schiit directly rather than the Australian supplier. 

I suppose I should be supporting the local business...

Somewhat related to the above; how long did it take for you non-US citizens out there to receive your Schiit? 

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,599 of 1,717
Quote:
I absolutely have to confess my love for the Asgard . I actually ordered one on Amazon last week and had it overnighted to me for $4 through my amazon prime discount. Instantly was blown away by the soundstage, crisp bass and just the overall sound clarity. My current setup is PC ---> HRT Music Streamer II ---> Schiit Asgard ---> HiFiMan HE-500 . Previously my setup was Fiio E7 ---> AKG K271 MK II so the two setups are literally night and day.

I've never been happier with a purchase.

How loud can you get your HE-500's with the Asgard? I myself have a pair of HE-400's and I'm looking at possibly getting a similar setup that you have (Asgard + HRT Streamer II). 

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,601 of 1,717
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on the Asgard this morning.  Can't wait for it to arrive.  I'm curious to compare it to the O2 that I already own.

I was originally leaning towards the Valhalla but wanted to get an amp that I can use with my D5000's as well.

Quote:

I just did the same thing as you! Pulled the trigger on the Asgard wanting to see how it compares with the O2 =D

Kind of old posts, but did either of you ever directly compare these two amps?  I think I've settles on the Bifrost for my HE-400s but need to know which amp to get now.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,602 of 1,717
Orthos are not has influenced by amping flavor as dynamics.  You'd be hard pressed to hear drastic differences between amps when using the HE-400s.

Quote:

Kind of old posts, but did either of you ever directly compare these two amps?  I think I've settles on the Bifrost for my HE-400s but need to know which amp to get now.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,603 of 1,717
Quote:
Orthos are not has influenced by amping flavor as dynamics.  You'd be hard pressed to hear drastic differences between amps when using the HE-400s.

Ok, that makes me think I may as well just go with the O2 then since it's cheaper, even though I'd much prefer having matching devices because the Schiits look so nice together :frowning2:

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #1,604 of 1,717
Quote:
Ok, that makes me think I may as well just go with the O2 then since it's cheaper, even though I'd much prefer having matching devices because the Schiits look so nice together :frowning2:

They do look nice together
smily_headphones1.gif

With that said, I did get to try Bifrost -> O2 with my HD600s for a few minutes and it seemed to drive them well (and in general I've found my LCD-2s behave similarly to the HD600s). Unfortunately I didn't have an adapter handy to try the LCD-2s at the time, but I'm pretty sure if there were any glaring differences I would've noticed even with 'just' the HD600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back