Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
May 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,576 of 1,717
Making a decision soon to pull the trigger between either an O2 or an Asgard. Going to be powering my D5000's, so if anyone who has similar experience could let me know their impressions of each, I'd be appreciative! Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,577 of 1,717
I built many O2's and I just got the Asgard because I always wanted to try a Schiit.  I can easily say the Asgard sounds nicer all around in every aspect.  It's has a tint of warmness to it while the O2 is dead cold.  Both are very analytical, but I noticed much better sound from the Asgard.  If you can get the Asgard for under $200 go for it, if you can't, get the O2.  They are pretty similar but the Asgard is clearly the winner in my eyes just because I like warmness and better detail.  It also looks more high class.

May 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,578 of 1,717
Quote:
My Asgard is here!  This thing looks amazing and is built like a tank.  Love the simplicity- power switch, volume knob, RCA inputs, and a headphone output.

Since I am old and still listen to CDs, I have the Asgard hooked up to a shiny new Onkyo CD-7030 with a 1 meter pair of Blue Jeans Cable RCAs.  I haven't really made up my mind on this whole break in thing, but what the hell-  I let everything run overnight.  I hope to do some actual listening tonight or tomorrow.

For what it's worth, my unit came with a power cable and some RCAs. 

Mine only came with a power cord. Can you hear any low level buzzing ? What serial number did you receive ?

May 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,579 of 1,717
Quote:
As a follow up to above, I unplugged the wireless mouse and still got a lot of interference coming through the amp.  Just wondering if the Asgard is sensitive to this type of noise when hooked up to a computer, since my other headphone amp is perfectly silent when connected via my E17.

The Asgard doesn't transmit any noise when plugged directly into an ipod though, but I'd really love to figure out how to get a clean signal from my computer.

I use my Asgard with my PC into a 2 volt usb dac, and it is dead silent.

May 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,581 of 1,717
My other concern is that once I upgrade my amp, I'd need to upgrade my DAC from the D3 I have currently =/ For the price of a new Asgard I can get the new ODAC+O2 combo...but if you guys are saying that it's so neutral, I might not like it. I like warmness in my sound. damn decisions 
tongue.gif

May 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,583 of 1,717
Quote:
My other concern is that once I upgrade my amp, I'd need to upgrade my DAC from the D3 I have currently =/ For the price of a new Asgard I can get the new ODAC+O2 combo...but if you guys are saying that it's so neutral, I might not like it. I like warmness in my sound. damn decisions 
tongue.gif

I do find the Asgard to the warm side of neutral.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,590 of 1,717
Quote:
I have the same question. I quick google gave me this:

http://www.amazon.com/Line-Cable-Apple-Photo-Video/dp/B00538AHE8

Quote:
So, can you use this thing with an iPod line out? I have a Fiio L3. What kind of cable am I going to need?

Yes - do keep in mind though that the iPod puts out a lower voltage Class B output, so even at lineout/maxed output through the dock, you might still have to crank up the Asgard more than other people with DACs or CDPlayers do, but otherwise it should work. I think the Asgard was already designed with the iPod lineout in mind so they probably had some adjustments so it will work well enough with signal voltage below 2v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back