Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
May 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,561 of 1,717
There is a very low level buzz that I can only hear when using IEMs. Not a big deal as I don't particularly like IEMs to begin with. I cannot hear this buzz when using headphones.

May 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,562 of 1,717
Quote:
There is a very low level buzz that I can only hear when using IEMs. Not a big deal as I don't particularly like IEMs to begin with. I cannot hear this buzz when using headphones.

I'll have to try this tonight with a pair of IEMs.  What connection types are you using in your chain?  I use TOSLINK from either my computer or my Logitech Squeezebox Touch to my DAC, which is powered with a high quality, very low noise power supply, and then I use RCA outputs to the Asgard.

Awesome Tunes!!
L3000.gif
 from PC or SB Touch at maximum volume -> TOSLINK -> NuForce Icon HDP (with LPS-1 Power Supply) as DAC -> pre-amp RCA outputs with maximum 2.6V output set with volume knob -> good quality 3FT RCA connector to Asgard

All device are getting power from the same power strip/surge protector.

I know the setup is practically dead silent when I use my Denon D5000s, and I will see if I can hear any noise/hiss with my IEMs.  I'm sure I will have to lower the Vout of my DAC, but that should not change the audio signature, it should just give me a little breathing room with the Asgard's volume pot.

May 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,563 of 1,717
The transformer inside the Asgard makes a slight buzz I can hear when I put my ear next to it, and I believe that sound cascades through to the headphones.  I have a later model Asgard that supposedly has the "fixed" transformer with no buzz, but mine has a little.  It doesn't bother me because I can't hear it when using regular headphones.

May 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #1,565 of 1,717
Just pulled the trigger on the Asgard this morning.  Can't wait for it to arrive.  I'm curious to compare it to the O2 that I already own.

I was originally leaning towards the Valhalla but wanted to get an amp that I can use with my D5000's as well.

May 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,566 of 1,717
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on the Asgard this morning.  Can't wait for it to arrive.  I'm curious to compare it to the O2 that I already own.

I just did the same thing as you! Pulled the trigger on the Asgard wanting to see how it compares with the O2 =D

May 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,568 of 1,717
I have recently received the Asgard and think it great. Coming from quality speaker audio, I think it is a very good value. Mine has no hum what so ever, serial # 001165.

May 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,573 of 1,717
Been enjoying the Asgard for a couple days now.  I haven't put it fully through its paces yet, but I am noticing quite a bit of noise/interference when connected to my computer with a Fiio E17.  The noise is prominent when moving the mouse, scrolling, etc.  It's a wireless mouse, so I suspect that is the problem.  However, when I connect the same setup to my Objective 2 amp, it is dead silent.

May 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,574 of 1,717
As a follow up to above, I unplugged the wireless mouse and still got a lot of interference coming through the amp.  Just wondering if the Asgard is sensitive to this type of noise when hooked up to a computer, since my other headphone amp is perfectly silent when connected via my E17.

The Asgard doesn't transmit any noise when plugged directly into an ipod though, but I'd really love to figure out how to get a clean signal from my computer.

May 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #1,575 of 1,717
My Asgard is here!  This thing looks amazing and is built like a tank.  Love the simplicity- power switch, volume knob, RCA inputs, and a headphone output.

Since I am old and still listen to CDs, I have the Asgard hooked up to a shiny new Onkyo CD-7030 with a 1 meter pair of Blue Jeans Cable RCAs.  I haven't really made up my mind on this whole break in thing, but what the hell-  I let everything run overnight.  I hope to do some actual listening tonight or tomorrow.

For what it's worth, my unit came with a power cable and some RCAs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back