Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jan 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,231 of 1,717

Quote:
Don't eww! I wanted to try something new. Who knows, I may even like them. They are supposedly appropriately powered by the Asgard.

Is it just me or is this the second time I've seen kboe banned? Tsk, tsk....

Aren't the 702s similar to the701s. I really like my 701s (stock).

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,232 of 1,717
     Quote:
Quote:
Don't eww! I wanted to try something new. Who knows, I may even like them. They are supposedly appropriately powered by the Asgard.

Is it just me or is this the second time I've seen kboe banned? Tsk, tsk....

Aren't the 702s similar to the701s. I really like my 701s (stock).

They are the same except the 702s are black.  I had the 701s and 702s at one time.  Apparently I didn't have an amp powerful enough to drive them well (had all portables at the time), so I sold them.
Please post your impressions of the Asgard/AKG pairing.

Thanks!
-HK sends

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,234 of 1,717

Quote:
They are the same except the 702s are black.  I had the 701s and 702s at one time.  Apparently I didn't have an amp powerful enough to drive them well (had all portables at the time), so I sold them.
Please post your impressions of the Asgard/AKG pairing.

Thanks!
-HK sends

The 702s also have a one sided detachable cable.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,236 of 1,717
All new DACs will include USB connectivity as computer-based audio is the future for the mainstream market.  Schiit will include it because they're clearly targeting the iPod market of users that actually DO want better sound.  That first step is better headphones than the Apple buds.  Some of those better headphones sound even better with a headphone amp.  That headphone amp could sound even better if fed by a DAC, etc.

That said, even if Mike perfects it I'll likely stick with the optical out of my Mac unless he somehow makes the USB sound better.  On my current DAC it sounds the same.

While we're putting together a wishlist, balance outputs would be nice!  Most of us with computer-based setups are using active monitors and that's the best connection from the DAC.

I didn't "get" computer audio either until I tried it.  I'll never go back...ever.  I'm enjoying my music more now than I ever have.  I'm hoping that this year it gets even better with a nice Schitty DAC to match my Valhalla, an iPad 2, and a Mac Mini.

Since this is an Asgard thread, I'll throw in that I picked up one for my brother for Christmas during the sale these guys had and he's very happy with the way his Grado 325s are sounding.  I had him listen to my Sennheiser HD600s on it and also had him listen to his 325s on my Valhalla...both may have been bad for his wallet...

Bill

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #1,237 of 1,717
I disagree with the statement that "Most" of us with computer based setups are using Active monitors. Is is true in so much that most Computer based systems are using crap cheap computer speakers. Most users who are after higher sound quality however output to some form of amp to drive conventional speakers. I have no less than 3 separate computer based systems, all use conventional speakers.

1) Office System - Coaxial out from my 4TB office computer feeding an Exemplar modified Music Hall 25.2 DAC which feeds a NAD Integrated amp that drives a pair of NHT 1.5 speakers.

2) Bedroom System - Logitec Duet (sourced from the office pc) feeding an EAD DSP7000 DAC that feeds a Aragon 24K preamplifier which then feeds a Rotel RB990 amp driving a pair of NHT 2.9 Speakers (modified)

3) Living Room System - PS Audio PWD with Bridge (once again fed from the office 4TB PC) that feeds (Balanced) a Parasound JC2 Preamp that feeds a pair of Parasound JC1 Mono Amps that then drives a pair of Usher BE20 Speakers.

All 3 systems are sourced from a PC and only one of them runs balanced, and it does not use powered monitors. Sounds like a good Poll.

I do agree that a DAC without USB is a non-starter (As Jason alluded to), which is why Mike was not Happy cause USB sort of sucks. Now Jason has hinted that Mike is Happier, apparently he has finally gotten USB up to acceptable performance levels. I would still bet that if you asked Mike what input he recommends that it wouldn't be USB. Mike is absolutely one of The great Digital Engineers around, and he is a perfectionist. If he is finally happy with USB I'd bet that it's going to be a good implementation, as far as it's performance compared to Coaxial goes the jury will have to be out for some time to come.

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #1,238 of 1,717
OK, maybe not most but many of us use active monitors in computer setups.  Just have a look at the many setups in the computer system thread.  I'd be surprised if they didn't offer balanced outputs as many DACs these days in the $500+ (and some below) do.

I see you're a fan of NHTs.  They were my first entry into HiFi, a pair of SuperOnes.  I loved those speakers.

Bill

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #1,242 of 1,717
I am late to game, and thread but I saw a comment earlier about noise on Asgard vs Valhalla and considering I bought a Valhalla and it exhibits no noise at all then by Jason's comment that the Valhalla should be noisier makes me think the Asgard in comparison will be deathly silent.

Even headphoned up, with no music playing and cranked volume there is nothing. This makes me enjoy the cooling 'krinkle' of the tubes when I turn off the Valhalla :)

I'm considering an Asgard for the office and keep my Valhalla at home.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #1,243 of 1,717
There is no noise on my Asgard.  I doubt there is any noise on any Asgard.  If there is, it needs to be returned to Mfr. for repair.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #1,244 of 1,717
Have you tried plugging IEMs into an Asgard. There's a definite buzzing. There's also a VERY faint buzz when I plug in my ultrasone pro 900s ... It's barely audible but it's there.

I was told by Jason that the Asgard was not designed for IEMs, thus the buzz. And I guess because I heard the buzz with the IEMs, I was looking for it in my headphones. Only heard the buzz w the ultrasones. No buzz in the LCD-2s or DT990.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,245 of 1,717
You could easily be hearing power line noise that only shows up on your very efficient headphones...or a gound loop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back