Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Dec 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #1,201 of 1,717
I hope if it were to rhyme with yack that it includes optical and not just USB.

Regardless, looking forward to what they bring us in 2011.

Bill

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #1,203 of 1,717
That Lyr is looking good to me.  I think it might go well with my XB700s.  You wouldn't guess it if you just looked at the efficiency numbers but they need lots of current to sound their best, and none of the amps I own at the moment are really up to the task.  I've been looking for something vaguely affordable that had overhead past their max rated input of 3000mW (@ 25 ohms) and the Lyr seems to be one of the few head amps that can do it and the only one I know of at such a good price.  Running an $80 headphone off a multi kilobuck amp gets very hard to justify even if there isn't any other full size 'phone out there with a similar sound sig.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #1,205 of 1,717
I'll answer all the _ack product teasers with this. Mike Moffat is my co-pilot. Would you expect anything less? (That is, once he stops moaning and groaning about USB. But he recently started smiling, so that's a good sign.)

Now that we have the amp portfolio solidified (Lyr is up for pre-order!!!) it's time to finish, some, er, other stuff. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #1,206 of 1,717
Quote:
I'll answer all the _ack product teasers with this. Mike Moffat is my co-pilot. Would you expect anything less? (That is, once he stops moaning and groaning about USB. But he recently started smiling, so that's a good sign.)

Now that we have the amp portfolio solidified (Lyr is up for pre-order!!!) it's time to finish, some, er, other stuff. 

Thanks Jason!  Looking forward to any "_ack" products coming down the pipe.  I just pulled the trigger on the Lyr pre-order, now that I am back on the LCD-2 order list.

Proud Asgard owner (It's fantastic with my HF-2s)...

-HK sends

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #1,207 of 1,717
I'm hoping for a product rhyming with jack that has a coax input. Then again, I'm also hoping for it to be balanced. Looking at Schiit tradition, I doubt either would happen. But it would be nice to have another $300-$400 _AC product to compete with a certain product by Cambridge Audio. But better.

More likely it will be about $200-300 and compete well with aforementioned CA product. All my rampant speculation of course, and I don't think Jason will be elaborating anytime soon.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #1,208 of 1,717
Any DAC that they come out with WILL have COAX digital input. What Jason was alluding to was the difficulty in getting USB to sound good, but he hinted that Mike (A known perfectionist) was finally smiling regarding this dilemma. So I'd expect a DAC that has Both COAX and USB (Also probably TOS Link, but who really cares about it
normal_smile .gif
 ).

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #1,209 of 1,717
'til this day, I still don't get the point of using USB in a dedicated audio system. Why would I want a computer sitting next to my audio system? Other than a mac mini which can be controlled via an itouch, you literally need to buy 2 pc-based computers to be able to use USB while sitting 8ft away from the system.

Maybe I am just not getting it?

Quote:
Any DAC that they come out with WILL have COAX digital input. What Jason was alluding to was the difficulty in getting USB to sound good, but he hinted that Mike (A known perfectionist) was finally smiling regarding this dilemma. So I'd expect a DAC that has Both COAX and USB (Also probably TOS Link, but who really cares about it
normal_smile .gif
 ).

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #1,210 of 1,717
If it really does have coax, it might find a home in by bedroom setup between my CD player and a GS-1. Should be interesting to compare the balanced DAC in my CD player to an unbalanced piece of Schiit.

If it doesn't sound better than the DAC in my Denon, well then I don't know.... I suspect it will though, despite it likely being unbalanced (to match their amps.) I could always make an all Schiit computer setup.

And chesebert, using a computer as a media transport yields a whole world of convenient goodness. Nothing wrong with the good ol' computer to DAC to amp to headphones.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #1,211 of 1,717
There's ways of doing computer as source along with a USB connected DAC that don't require you to be at the computer to control the music.  J River Media Center has several options for remote use.  They have a theater view that you can control with a DVD menu style remote control.  They have an Android app that will allow you to control the music from an Android device.  Netbooks and various tablets can be used.  There's bunches of options.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #1,212 of 1,717
We're with you, man, but an _ack without USB these days is a non-starter. Suffice to say, there will be coax. And more.

Actually, until very recently, Mike would have been a happy man if USB simply didn't exist at all. 

And don't get me started on the iPad/iPhone/iPod-to-USB option. 1.1/48K. Barf.

Quote:
'til this day, I still don't get the point of using USB in a dedicated audio system. Why would I want a computer sitting next to my audio system? Other than a mac mini which can be controlled via an itouch, you literally need to buy 2 pc-based computers to be able to use USB while sitting 8ft away from the system.

Maybe I am just not getting it?

Quote:
normal_smile .gif
 ).

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #1,214 of 1,717

Didn't know the remote worked with anything other than windows media center. Does it work with foobar2k?

Regardless, I still think slimdevice, PS network bridge and similar devices are better alternatives to traditional disc-based system than USB-based system.

Quote:
There's ways of doing computer as source along with a USB connected DAC that don't require you to be at the computer to control the music.  J River Media Center has several options for remote use.  They have a theater view that you can control with a DVD menu style remote control.  They have an Android app that will allow you to control the music from an Android device.  Netbooks and various tablets can be used.  There's bunches of options.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #1,215 of 1,717

Quote:
Didn't know the remote worked with anything other than windows media center. Does it work with foobar2k?

Regardless, I still think slimdevice, PS network bridge and similar devices are better alternatives to traditional disc-based system than USB-based system.

Knowing Foobar there's probably a component and a way to get it to work with a remote.  But I was thinking mostly of J River Media Center.  J River's Theater view and a TV style remote works fairly well.

The various network audio devices are also neat and have their appeal.  Unfortunately many of them are not able to do gapless playback and that's a deal killer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back