Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #1,186 of 1,717

In a few words, Supremely Satisfying !
k701smile.gif

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #1,188 of 1,717

Well I am using all cardas cables except for the power cable... so far, (Quadlink for the interconnects, Cardas for the 702, and Cardas USB) so that adds some warmth to the rig.  I would imagine that with the wrong cables, the combo of neutral 70x and Asgard could be harsh on the ears.  But my ears are quite happy with the pairing.  Quite.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,190 of 1,717
I'm close to finishing my listening notes for a full review of this amp as compared to the Gilmore Lite and Avenson Audio Headphone Amp, so I'd peg my finished review at about 1 week away or so - should definitely have it done by the end of the year, in any case. Never did get around to comparing it to the SPL Auditor before I sold that amp, but I don't think it really matters - the SPL Auditor was clearly an amp for high-impedance, inefficient headphones anyway (like the Beyerdynamic T1 that I used it with), and the amps I currently have on hand are all designed for low-impedance efficient ones, so I'd say the current 3-way comparison is a better one.

The only thing I'll say now about my impressions of the amp is that they changed from what was perceived initially (which was several months ago).
evil_smiley.gif
(I don't consider one of my reviews to be a full-length one unless I can give it a proper usage time - and for me that means at least 1 month ideally of regular listening rotation, preferrably more.)

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #1,191 of 1,717

That should be a good read Asr, Mine will be a similar one month impression review.  The only other amp on hand I have to compare my Asgard with is the Singlepower Extreme Platinum.  Not a fair fight, but the Asgard is in no way embarrassed by the comparison.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,195 of 1,717
I purchased the Asgard and the Valhalla and have used them both for months with the AKG 702. Both amps mated perfectly with the cans, and my preference would vary depending on the CD. I recently bought the Sennheiser HD 800, and I was at first concerned about such a price mismatch between the Senns and my Schiit, but not to fear. After several weeks of break in, the new phones sound wonderful with both amps. Again, depends on the recording quality. However, I enjoy the Asgard every bit as much as the Valhalla. The sound is rich and full with excellent detail, air and separation of instruments. 
However, I got the upgrade curse from reading these blogs too much, and I wonder if replacing the Asgard with the Burson HA 160 would make an appreciable difference. Anyone compared these two amps? 

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #1,197 of 1,717

Quote:
I think the next product is also an amp.. Its probably going to be called Lyr, priced at $449.

Yep, we'll have more info up on the site shortly. It's a monster of an amp (6 watts into 32 ohms), intended mainly for orthos, but also a good match for high-impedance headphones due to its high voltage output.

And yep, there will be other products--we just want to make sure they're absolutely, mind-blowingly right. Mike is extremely picky . . . no, er, obsessed might be a better word. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #1,198 of 1,717
Very. Cool. News. Jason. Wow! Do you mean to tell us that you have a behemoth worthy of the HE-5LE, LCD-2 and... *gasp* difficult to drive (with most headphone amps, anyway) HE-6?

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #1,199 of 1,717

A change of plans for my review.  The power cable I will be using to feed my PS Audio Duet and the amp itself will be changed from the intended Cardas ones, to the much more wallet friendly Pangea AC-9 and AC-14 respectively.  Cardas still pulls at my heart strings, but the Pangea ones pull even harder at my wallet.
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #1,200 of 1,717

Quote:
Yep, we'll have more info up on the site shortly. It's a monster of an amp (6 watts into 32 ohms), intended mainly for orthos, but also a good match for high-impedance headphones due to its high voltage output.

And yep, there will be other products--we just want to make sure they're absolutely, mind-blowingly right. Mike is extremely picky . . . no, er, obsessed might be a better word

If this is a wink at something that rhymths with yACK.  I am so ready for it.  Yes I love my HRT, but I would like something a wee bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back