Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Sep 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #1,006 of 1,717
I most certainly will, jsc44! Very much looking forward to it. I will likely be comparing it to my Gilmore Lite + DPS (both driving the HD600's), assuming I still have it by then. The Gilmore is a well-known amp and I think that a study of how the two compare should reveal much about the Asgard's strong and weak points, with Sennheisers and other lower-impedance cans.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #1,007 of 1,717

Quote:
I most certainly will, jsc44! Very much looking forward to it. I will likely be comparing it to my Gilmore Lite + DPS (both driving the HD600's), assuming I still have it by then. The Gilmore is a well-known amp and I think that a study of how the two compare should reveal much about the Asgard's strong and weak points, with Sennheisers and other lower-impedance cans.

I was going to pull the trigger and buy the Asgard tonight but having read this post, I decided to wait
smily_headphones1.gif
I just wish you also had Little Dot MK V to include though
smily_headphones1.gif
That would just be awesome. I know hearing is subjective and there are some people here who talk about stuff they have never owned or heard but in your case, I am all ears mate! Since I also have HD650 and Grados, I'll be looking forward to what you have to say 

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,008 of 1,717
Will do, Yuceka. Keep in mind, though, that the B-stock Asgards will not last long. Based on the reviews, thus far, it appears that the Asgard packs an intriguing wallop for the price-point. You will likely be very satisfied with its pairing with both Grados and Senn's. I have not heard this synergy yet, but there is much support here for that match-up. Can't wait to try the Asgard out. My, is it an amazing looking piece of audio art.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #1,009 of 1,717
I've been comparing the Asgard to the Valhalla with my HF-2s over the past few days and I have to say that I prefer the former. With the Grados the Asgard exhibits a wider soundstage, more air, better detail, and tighter bass impact than its tube-based brother. It kind of bums me out actually. The Valhalla is simply a terrific, sexy looking amp. I'd be happier if it kicked the pants off of the Asgard so I could continue basking in the warm glow of those tubes. I'm going to spend the weekend with both before I make my final decision, but as it stands now the Valhalla is going back to Schiit for a refund. B-stock buyers, be on the lookout.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #1,010 of 1,717
Sort of glad to hear that, dpippel. I am a huge fan of the HF-2's - I have a 'WTB' listing posted now - and very much would like to try the HF-2's out with SS Schiit. I expect the Gilmore Lite to edge out the Asgard, but, for the price, I assume my V-DAC/Asgard/HD600 setup will be a ringer for 'best value to performance ratio' rig available. Plus, once I do get a hold of some HF-2's, they will be the perfect aesthetic match for the Asgard, ugly V-DAC notwithstanding.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #1,011 of 1,717
The low impedance of the HF-2 does not make it a very good candidate for use with the OTL Valhalla, so it makes sense, at least from a technical perspective, that this would not be an ideal pairing.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #1,012 of 1,717
The HF-2/Valhalla pairing still sounds very good, just not as good as the SS Asgard. And even though Schiit DOES advertise the Valhalla as handling impedences down to 32 ohms, as you rightly point out OTL tube amps are generally not an ideal pairing for Grados. I certainly wasn't expectig a miracle here but my curiosity got the better of me.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,013 of 1,717

Quote:
The HF-2/Valhalla pairing still sounds very good, just not as good as the SS Asgard. And even though Schiit DOES advertise the Valhalla as handling impedences down to 32 ohms, as you rightly point out OTL tube amps are generally not an ideal pairing for Grados. I certainly wasn't expectig a miracle here but my curiosity got the better of me.

Yep, and you never know - sometimes it seems to work out very well, in spite of the math
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #1,017 of 1,717

Quote:
I've got some B-stock Schiit heading my way. Can't wait to try it out with my new HE-5LE.
regular_smile .gif

So,let me get this straight. You can find a multitude of good schitt around to meet your needs. But instead you are going to spend perfectly good, hard earned money to find some B-Sock schitt to use for your special needs, What's this world coming to, when you need b-stock schitt. 
tongue.gif

just some levity to brighten up a play on words in a failing economy. 

Enjoy your new toy. Jason and Co. make an excellent product,  and the B-stock is probably the the "grain issue" that Jason dad with his supplier. His loss (well, not really a loss, just a lousy supplier issue), our gain. Other companies might try to pawn this off as first quality. Jason can cut his losses by selling the amps as B-stock, the grain problem probably wouldn't bother you in the first place.It's win-win all around. The way it should be.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #1,018 of 1,717

Quote:
i ordered one today... to match with my LCD-2 and uDac-2 as source
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" width="" />

Sorry, but with the $1000 LCD-2s, you're going to need to improve your DAC down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

It's always fun to spend other people's money. Looking forward to some more Asgard/LCD-2 thoughts.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #1,020 of 1,717

Quote:
What's the grain issue?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497902/schiit-asgard-unboxing-and-first-impressions/645#post_6828798

Users who are viewing this thread

Back