Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jul 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #421 of 1,717
True, but you did say "any power amp biased into class A" not "any power amp biased into class A selling for $250 and has a 5yr warranty" I was just pointing out that because someone hasn't touched the bottom of an amp in 16 years doesn't mean they haven't had any experience with class A amps. :wink:

Quote:
No doubt, you're correct, but then again, how many of them retail at $250.00 and have a 5 year warranty?

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #422 of 1,717

Quote:
I'd say most class A power amps have massive heatsinks and don't simply use the chassis frame for cooling :wink: 

The 47 Labs Gaincard uses its diminutive chassis for the heastsink. While it's not a class A amp, it is a 50 watt power amp designed to drive speakers so when in use it dissipates more power than the Asgard.

se

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #423 of 1,717
Had a Krell KSA100 for a bit but never bothered to touch the bottom...

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #424 of 1,717

Quote:
The 47 Labs Gaincard uses its diminutive chassis for the heastsink. While it's not a class A amp, it is a 50 watt power amp designed to drive speakers so when in use it dissipates more power than the Asgard.

se

I'll bet it didn't dissipate as much power (power=energy=heat) when it was running full tilt as the Asgard dissipates when idling.
You have to factor in duty cycle.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #425 of 1,717
You could always do what I did and go to the local hardware store and pick up bigger rubber feet.  Mine stands a good half inch off the table now and gets more air between the bottom and the table.  I figured it couldn't hurt.
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - I reached the 40 hour burn-in point, but being under the weather, will have to post my impressions in a day or so.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #427 of 1,717

Quote:
I'll bet it didn't dissipate as much power (power=energy=heat) when it was running full tilt as the Asgard dissipates when idling.
You have to factor in duty cycle.

Perhaps. The original Gaincard was only a 25 watt class A/B amp. And the Schiit website specs the Asgard's power consumption at 35 watts. Quite a lot for a headphone amp, though given it's single-ended and using MOSFETs, probably not so surprising. You gotta run rather high rails and a lot of current to get the best out of them.

se

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #428 of 1,717
Hi everyone, This is my first post.

I've been reading this thread since I discovered the it through the Audiophiliac through Schitt's site.

I have been thinking about building a head-fi system since I don't have room for a dedicated listening room and won't be listening in our Living room where our AV system is.

My starting point is a pair of Sony MDR-V6 and a Windows 7 PC with on-board sound and iTunes.

I am researching building a system starting around the Asgard.

On to my questions:
1) Regarding a first source... does anybody using the Asgard have experience with the Marantz SA8003? Impressions?  The reason I ask is because I would like a reasonably priced SACD player with good analog outs AND DAC inputs (for iTunes or streaming HiRez FLAC from MediaMonkey) in that price range... like the newer model coming out (SA8004).  The 8004 is compelling to me for this reason and I can't find another SACD or universal player with DAC in's that is in that price range.
2) Regarding other DACs if the above doesn't work out... I'm looking at V-DAC, DacMagic, or the soon to be released Arcam rDac... but I really like the idea of having one source so I don't have to introduce a preamp and more complexity into the chain purely due to money and simplicity.
3) I'm thinking of upgrading to Grado 325i's eventually too but haven't heard any impressions with the Asgard and these... anybody?

Any feedback to help me kick my journey off would be greatly appreciated, other threads, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #429 of 1,717
Well, with a headphone setup, one does not need to introduce a preamp, because a headphone amp acts as a preamp and a diminutive power amp, so choose DACs at will once you have a headphone amplifier.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #430 of 1,717
Yes, which is why the SA8004 looks interesting, since the Asgard has only one pair of inputs (single ended?)... 1 source unit will handle disk and DAC (from PC) duty.

BTW, All digital files are Apple Lossless or better (weeding out my remaining 192 stuff and re ripping).

I know I don't have any baseline reference per-se, but I also forgot to ask above if anybody has impressions with the Asgard with the MDR-V6?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #431 of 1,717

Quote:
Yes, which is why the SA8004 looks interesting, since the Asgard has only one pair of inputs (single ended?)... 1 source unit will handle disk and DAC (from PC) duty.

BTW, All digital files are Apple Lossless or better (weeding out my remaining 192 stuff and re ripping).

I know I don't have any baseline reference per-se, but I also forgot to ask above if anybody has impressions with the Asgard with the MDR-V6?

Thanks!

"One pair of inputs" has nothing to do with "single ended."

The MDR-V6 phone is very easy to drive and the Asgard has about 100x the power needed to drive the V6s.  As a matter of fact, you don't need an amp for the V6s.  They're not that resolving anyway.  Regardless, the Asgard should be well capable of driving just about any dynamic or ortho headphone you get.

BTW, the Asgard should be a good match sonically to drive the Grado 325s.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #432 of 1,717

Quote:
"One pair of inputs" has nothing to do with "single ended."

The MDR-V6 phone is very easy to drive and the Asgard has about 100x the power needed to drive the V6s.  As a matter of fact, you don't need an amp for the V6s.  They're not that resolving anyway.  Regardless, the Asgard should be well capable of driving just about any dynamic or ortho headphone you get.

BTW, the Asgard should be a good match sonically to drive the Grado 325s.

Since I am a newbie I will research on my own what "single ended" means.

The point being that I am thinking my system will be built starting with the Asgard, with plans then being to work toward getting 325s and a DAC/Disc source that will match well.

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #433 of 1,717
Jul 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #435 of 1,717

Quote:
I am familiar with Pass Labs and Nelson Pass, I do often forget about his DIY designs and papers.
It was an interesting lunch time read.
Thanks.

You're very welcome!  BTW, I didn't mean to be overly curt with you before, I was just being lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back