Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #2,791 of 2,857
If you connect the little dot come pre to the asgard 3, what sonic results do you get?

Not sure. I've never tried it. But I guess you'd be using the Little Dot as a tube buffer stage. Maybe warm up the sound a bit more?

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #2,794 of 2,857
If I can get a used Asgard 3 + ESS DAC module for a good price would that be preferable to a Modi+/Magni+ stack? (price cheaper than the Modi/Magni stack)

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #2,796 of 2,857
Do you find any downside from having the DAC module vs having a stand alone?

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #2,797 of 2,857
The DAC module is fine, especially if it comes with, you can always add an external DAC at a later date. The Asgard has lots of power (and current), and give a tube-ish sound. Very enjoyable amp!

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #2,798 of 2,857
If I can get a used Asgard 3 + ESS DAC module for a good price would that be preferable to a Modi+/Magni+ stack? (price cheaper than the Modi/Magni stack)
Asgard 3 is one of the best deals around

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2,801 of 2,857
It's really a choice between a used Asgard + Module or a new Modi+/Magni+ Schiit stack. Only having a USB input isn't a deal breaker and the Asgard/DAC is cheaper than the new Modi/Magni stack. Seems like the move might be the Asgard.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #2,802 of 2,857
I had the Asgard 3 with the previous DAC module available on the release of the product. The amp was quite nice, but the DAC module was a bummer in my opinion. I saved a couple bucks and bought a Bifrost 2 months later. That was a very enjoyable combo with an HD6XX. Based on my experience, my advice would be to get the used Asgard with the module, but update the DAC as soon as you can. I had to spend considerably more to upgrade from that Schiit stack later (Burson Timekeeper 3i now), but even then it’s a different sound, not necessarily better. Just make sure to plug the damn amp to the wall socket directly. I had it for a very good while plugged to an extensor cord with the computer connected to it as well, and the sound opened up quite a bit when plugged to the wall.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #2,803 of 2,857
If a person enjoys upgrading frequently (every year or less), separates are the way to go for flexibility, saving $ in the long run. For me, spending considerably more on the digital front end than on amplification has given me years of deep listening satisfaction.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #2,804 of 2,857
I don’t have the DAC module but I recall that the voltage from it is hypothesized to be lower than typical standalone DAC voltage because the volume is slightly reduced through the card. This may be an issue if you have very difficult to power headphones but I’ve never needed near the power available from the A3 for my listening. This is likely only a fringe case problem.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #2,805 of 2,857
It was the older modules that had a 1.4V output which was responsible for the poor reception. The later ESS modules have a 2V output and from what I’ve read this made a difference. When buying used it’s probably good to check mfg date. You might be able to get an idea which module it has. One box solutions are convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back