Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #2,461 of 2,863
Has anyone else been having overheating issues with the Asgard 3 this summer? I might be one of the unlucky ones living without proper air conditioning, but I noticed that on particularly hot days, especially if the air is stuffy, the amp heats up way more than I feel comfortable with, to the point that I have to periodically turn it off if I don't have a fan running nearby.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #2,462 of 2,863
Has anyone else been having overheating issues with the Asgard 3 this summer? I might be one of the unlucky ones living without proper air conditioning, but I noticed that on particularly hot days, especially if the air is stuffy, the amp heats up way more than I feel comfortable with, to the point that I have to periodically turn it off if I don't have a fan running nearby.

Sep 2, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #2,463 of 2,863
One Amp/DAC setup that I use is the Asgard 3 with the Modi multibit. It's a great combo with my HD600 headphones. The Asgard 3 does have at least a 30 min warm up time in my opinion. I leave the multibit on 24/7 and if I'm going to use the Asgard 3 that day or night I'll turn it on in in he morning and leave it on. Some owners leave it on 24/7.

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #2,465 of 2,863

I don't use my Asgard 2 or Asgard 3 during the summer months because they run hot. While the Asgard 2 is pure class A
and does run extremely hot based on its design, the Asgard 3 is supposed to run in class A up to 500 mw (1/2 watt) and then switch over to class AB mode. What I have found is that my Asgard 3 seems to stay in class A mode because of the high efficiency of many of the headphones I use it with, so its chassis gets warm during the winter, but can run hot during the summer.

Also, the area on the bottom of the Asgard 3 where the transformer is seems to run as hot as the entire chassis on the Asgard 2.

Please keep in mind that because of the heat produced by the A2 and A3, I only run my Schiit Jotunheim 1 ( which operates in Class AB all the time) during the summer months of the year, because it does run significantly cooler.

As for performance, I have found the Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 1 offer lots of flexibility, and as such, sound good with both high as well as low impedance dynamic and planar magnetic headphones.

On the other hand, the A2 in my experience is more finicky and really synergizes well with inexpensive planars like my Fostex T60RP, T50RP MK3 and Hifiman HE4XX. There's just something about this combo that works for me.

I purchased my Asgard 3 before the Covid 19 debacle when it was just $199 and at the time I found myself asking how Schiit could build a headphone amplifier of such high quality so inexpensively. I continue to have the same thought after much listening time with the A3, and believe that it remains an excellent value at its current $249 retail price.

This is especially pertinent given the Asgard 3's flexibility because it can easily drive so many different headphones. And
the fact that it's priced so that just about any music lover can afford one. I've had mine for nearly two years and continue to enjoy it. The 5 year warranty is also a nice bonus. 😀

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #2,466 of 2,863
My Asgard 3 does get warm, but not alarmingly so. I have mine sitting on some footers that raise it 25 to 32mm to aide in circulation. I do this with all my warmer running gear.

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #2,467 of 2,863
My Asgard 3 does get warm, but not alarmingly so. I have mine sitting on some footers that raise it 25 to 32mm to aide in circulation. I do this with all my warmer running gear.
I also raised mine up using round, little, silicon puck thingies. Certainly didn't hurt.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #2,469 of 2,863
Sep 2, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,470 of 2,863
Fun weekend ahead :)

90A3C0E8-09BA-435A-B025-8D37AD06F514.jpeg

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,474 of 2,863
Another happy Asgard 3 owner. Coming up to 12 months and it never ceases to amaze me how well it plays with all of my headphones...
My first Schiit stack was a black version of the Asgard 3 and Modius (AKM 4493). Great performance for the money. Although they are currently back in their original packaging, can easily recommend for most looking for a sub $500 amp/DAC combo. Easy to operate, works well with almost any headphone, will power almost any headphone, small footprint and sonically pairs really well together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back