Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #2,446 of 2,863
Currently my daily setup is a Jotunheim 2 and Modius (AK4493) running balanced with Audeze LCD-XC. Previously was a Asgard 3 with Modius (AK4493) and a tube stage/buffer. I will agree that for the price of a new Asgard 3 and Modius, I have not heard anything in that price range that beats the combo. Sounds Musical and provides enough power and headroom even if you EQ. What I have not heard or read discussed is the extra clean power that is required if EQ is used, especially to boost bass regions.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,447 of 2,863
Currently my daily setup is a Jotunheim 2 and Modius (AK4493) running balanced with Audeze LCD-XC. Previously was a Asgard 3 with Modius (AK4493) and a tube stage/buffer. I will agree that for the price of a new Asgard 3 and Modius, I have not heard anything in that price range that beats the combo. Sounds Musical and provides enough power and headroom even if you EQ. What I have not heard or read discussed is the extra clean power that is required if EQ is used, especially to boost bass regions.
Any desire to upgrade, if it is an upgrade, to the Lyr? I always forget about the Jot 2. As an Asgard 3 owner do you think I'd notice a difference using a Jot 2 with my DACs? Besides the option of using going the balanced route?

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #2,448 of 2,863
I definitely prefer the Modius AK4493 over the Modi 3 AK4490. But for a,hundred bucks the Modi 3 is a bargain. The Modi Multibit is definitely worth the wait in my opinion. My first DAC was the Modi 3 and I just couldn't believe how much better the Modi Multibit sounded to me. Instead of sitting 5 rows back the Modi Multibit put me on the stage. I'm impressed with the Modi 3E. To my ears the Modius and Modi multibit are really close but the multibit just has a little something different that I like. Of course all of my ramblings are purely subjective.
I think I get it... that is why I'm waiting for it

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #2,449 of 2,863
Interesting... how does the Asgard 3 compare to Jotunheim 2 single ended?.

From what I understand, the Asgard 3 is as good or better single ended.

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #2,450 of 2,863
Any desire to upgrade, if it is an upgrade, to the Lyr? I always forget about the Jot 2. As an Asgard 3 owner do you think I'd notice a difference using a Jot 2 with my DACs? Besides the option of using going the balanced route?
I have no desire to upgrade from Jotunheim 2. I would suspect it would cost multiples of what I paid for the Jotunheim 2. I listened to a few different Schitt tube amp offerings briefly and felt the amps did not have the same control of the drivers like the Jotunheim 2 did.

Having both Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2, I would say no unless you go at least balanced output. Since I EQ the two headphones I need the power and headroom. If you do not EQ power is not an issue. IMHO and experience of the two amps:

- Jotunheim 2 is more powerful (but only with balanced output). If strictly using SE stay with the Asgard 3, it is 90% of the Jotunheim 2 SE output but with more headroom.
- Jotunheim 2 is more resolving than the Asgard 3 especially when using balanced output. Even when SE input is used.
- Asgard 3 is a bit warmer than the Jotunheim 2, even when using Jotunheim 2 SE output.
- Jotunheim 2 does have a pre-amp on/off switch, Asgard 3 does not. This was important to me.
- I have opened up both amps to tweak them and noticed they have identical transformers.

In Summary the Jotunheim 2 is a better amp. But to realize its potential, balanced output needs to be used. I also think the Modius sounds better balanced out vs SE out also.

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #2,451 of 2,863
Interesting... how does the Asgard 3 compare to Jotunheim 2 single ended?.

From what I understand, the Asgard 3 is as good or better single ended.
I will assume you mean both having single ended input and both single ended output. The Asgard 3 is a bit warmer and has more power/headroom. Jotunheim 2 is a bit more resolving. Jotunheim 2 difference is heard and felt when using the balanced output.

If I was using single ended throughout I would stay with Asgard 3. And "not" install the internal DAC card.

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #2,452 of 2,863
I have no desire to upgrade from Jotunheim 2. I would suspect it would cost multiples of what I paid for the Jotunheim 2. I listened to a few different Schitt tube amp offerings briefly and felt the amps did not have the same control of the drivers like the Jotunheim 2 did.

Having both Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2, I would say no unless you go at least balanced output. Since I EQ the two headphones I need the power and headroom. If you do not EQ power is not an issue. IMHO and experience of the two amps:

- Jotunheim 2 is more powerful (but only with balanced output). If strictly using SE stay with the Asgard 3, it is 90% of the Jotunheim 2 SE output but with more headroom.
- Jotunheim 2 is more resolving than the Asgard 3 especially when using balanced output. Even when SE input is used.
- Asgard 3 is a bit warmer than the Jotunheim 2, even when using Jotunheim 2 SE output.
- Jotunheim 2 does have a pre-amp on/off switch, Asgard 3 does not. This was important to me.
- I have opened up both amps to tweak them and noticed they have identical transformers.

In Summary the Jotunheim 2 is a better amp. But to realize its potential, balanced output needs to be used. I also think the Modius sounds better balanced out vs SE out also.
Thank-you for this

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #2,453 of 2,863
I had the Modi Multibit first. For $200 I wanted to try the Modius. I also have a Modi 3 and Modi 3E. I use an Audiolab transport and I like to change things up. Each DAC brings something different to the table. Schiit entry level DACs are affordable. You can always sell them easy if one chooses to.
If it's a matter of preference, then I'd argue the Modius would be the best for a beginner combo. Simply for the form factor. Looks more sleek 😁

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #2,454 of 2,863
Jul 5, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #2,455 of 2,863

Good to know. Thanks!

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #2,456 of 2,863
I will assume you mean both having single ended input and both single ended output. The Asgard 3 is a bit warmer and has more power/headroom. Jotunheim 2 is a bit more resolving. Jotunheim 2 difference is heard and felt when using the balanced output.

If I was using single ended throughout I would stay with Asgard 3. And "not" install the internal DAC card.
Thanks!

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #2,459 of 2,863

@cdacosta what headphones did you use with the A3 and Jot2? curious if the comparison changes if using a DCA planar (load is 12 - 16 ohms, 92dB/mW IIRC) which is lower than Audeze LCD's by a factor or 3 or more.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,460 of 2,863
Hi all, just got an Asgard 3 with 9028 DAC in. It's very, very early (think hours) but so far I am pretty impressed with this amp. The A3 is replacing a Fiio K5 Pro ESS, and yep, this is definitely an upgrade at least when using the Hifiman Sundara.

I noticed the amp has an effect similar to my old Valhalla 2, where it takes about 20 minutes to warm up and start to sound good. Runs warmer (temperature wise) than I thought it would. I don't mind, it will be nice now that the seasons are getting ready to change. Anyone leave theirs on 24x7? I guess I'll just be turning mine on/off once a day.

Biggest surprise so far is the 9028 card. I had some reservations about ESS DACs after hearing a couple of them in other products but this one is quite good. I'm not clamoring to hook up a Bifrost 2/64 to the Asgard OR try the Hifiman EF400 so for me that is saying something. I have a Modi 3E and some RCA cables coming in (hopefully) tomorrow so will compare the two plus my PS Audio DAC.

It's probably too early to leave detailed headphone impressions, but to my surprise I don't really like the 6XX on the Asgard. I want to make sure it's the amp and not the onboard DAC (again, I'm a skeptic) but it sounds a bit flatter than I thought it would. I think the Valhalla 2 would be a better option for diehard HD600 fans. On the other hand, the 800S sounds better than I thought it would from just the A3 + 9028 dac. Curious to see if changing the DAC changes my thoughts.

I have some pages to read through. Any suggestions on USB-C to A cables? I'm planning to pick up a couple of Anker cables from Amazon. Not really sure I want to go down the AQ route for this one. Also any power cables I should check out? Last time I tried changing one out on a Bifrost 2 I ended up preferring the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back