Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #2,476 of 2,863
Not one complaint whatsoever. I know there's definitely better but can see myself using it for a long time to come. One minor nit pick is I see virtually no use for the low gain. High is where it's at.
Agreed that Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2 always to me sound better in high gain. Even with very low impedance and very sensitive headphones.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #2,477 of 2,863
My first Schiit stack was a black version of the Asgard 3 and Modius (AKM 4493). Great performance for the money. Although they are currently back in their original packaging, can easily recommend for most looking for a sub $500 amp/DAC combo. Easy to operate, works well with almost any headphone, will power almost any headphone, small footprint and sonically pairs really well together.
Gotta admit I am highly tempted by the new lyr as a point of difference.. one day

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #2,478 of 2,863
I'm continuing to enjoy my new Asgard 3, mostly with the Hifiman Sundara. It is still my favorite headphone pairing with this amp. I'm glad this is the case as I pretty much got this amp for it. I'll post some cliff notes I've taken over the last few days below.

I had been considering the Hifiman HE400 to use with the Sundara, but after using the Asgard I've pretty much lost interest in the HE400. This is mainly due to it being what I consider another DAC, with only USB inputs, that happens to have a headphone section. I don't need another DAC :unamused: not to mention I'm happy with Asgard 3 + DAC module getting the job done well at around half the price.

Between Modi 3E and the 9028 card, Modi has been boxed up and off to a new owner. I prefer the 9028 card but only slightly. I noticed a little more detail with the Modi 3E but at the expense of being a little dry. Very small difference, to the point where it would be better to consider whether you need a coax input to hook a CD transport up to your DAC. It's funny how things work sometimes. I didn't want to consider the onboard DAC at first...but then here I am liking it more over a standalone unit.

After a while, I'm not as opposed to the HD6XX pairing on the Asgard 3 as I initially was. The 6XX/A3 combo is not as engaging as I've heard on other amps but with a good source I enjoyed using this headphone. It's still not my first choice for an amp, compared to say a Valhalla 2, but for someone with a lot of headphones of varying impedances that tradeoff is probably worth it.

Preamp function seemed fine. The Asgard's slightly warm sound is noticed throughout. It did answer a question that was in the back of my mind, which was whether or not I needed a preamp for HP listening. Didn't do much for me there. Maybe once I get to a speaker setup.

I was surprised with the performance out of the HD800S on the Asgard 3, in a good way. Maybe the Jotunheim or Lyr are a better match for the HD800S but at least I won't have to shill and I can like Asgard as a cheaper option. Jotunheim 2 is still piquing my interest a bit for my Sennheiser headphones, just to see how it stacks up against my HDV 820.

Sep 9, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #2,479 of 2,863
After a while, I'm not as opposed to the HD6XX pairing on the Asgard 3 as I initially was. The 6XX/A3 combo is not as engaging as I've heard on other amps but with a good source I enjoyed using this headphone.

So what do you recommend for the 6XX? I like what the A3 did for it but agree that there is still some way to go before I hear what others 'claim' to hear with a good pairing.

Sep 9, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,482 of 2,863
So what do you recommend for the 6XX? I like what the A3 did for it but agree that there is still some way to go before I hear what others 'claim' to hear with a good pairing.

Valhalla 2, though I found I was spending as much on input tubes as the amp itself to really make it come alive. If I had to do it again I'd look for a Bottlehead Crack + speedball upgrade.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,483 of 2,863
Amps here with extensive listening to HD650/600 are RNHP (most neutral reference), A3 (neutral, dynamic, slight warmth), WA6 with caps upgrade & Mullard GZ37 (transparent yet very sweet), Quicksilver (most transparent, organic, alive, my favorite but only with GE12AX7 and Polam EL84, not stock new tubes).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #2,485 of 2,863
I've got the A3 and would prefer to stay away from tubes. How does the Rupert Neve compare to the Asgard 3? I'd be connecting it to my Modi 3+
For me, not different enough to keep both, so I sold the RNHP. The A3 is so good for the $ that way more must be spent to top it IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #2,487 of 2,863
I have just ordered an Asgard 3 with the ES9028 DAC card for a nice simple all in one desktop solution for listening at my home office.

I can't be bothered with something more feature packed like the Fiio K9 Pro since a quick scan over thread for devices of that nature seem to be littered with comments about firmware issues. A nice simple but powerful DAC/Amp like the Asgard 3 with ESS card seems like a nice fuss free solution that will get a long way toward the performance and sound quality of much higher end gear at a fraction of the cost.

My most used/preferred headphones are Dan Clark Aeon Noire, Mr Speakers Aeon Open, DT1770 and HD600, all equipped with Forza Claire and GUCraftsman braided cables. On paper the Asgard 3 should be near perfect for all these. I may occasionally use Shanling ME700 or Shuoer S12 IEM, from what I read the low gain noise floor shouldn't be a problem.

Up to now I have mostly been using battery powered gear at my desk, Chord Mojo, iFi Gryphon and Diablo. I like them all a lot but want a good all rounder option that is plugged in and not reliant on charging at the end of every day.

Anything I should be aware of or look out for with the Asgard 3/ESS card ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back