Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,507 of 2,863
Andrew Park on « the Headphone Show » YouTube channel said the same thing. He is a real headphones expert, and the amp / DAC part he doesn’t really worry about too much. The problem is at the level of interest he is at, great headphones, the prices start at around 1500 Dollars. The story starts there, 1500 Dollars. But to really be in it is around 3000 Dollars.
I paid $1500 for my Focal Clear Pros a few years ago and $300 for my Sennheiser HD600 headphones and enjoy the HD600's just as much. Each one brings something different to the table. $3000 is out of retired income budget.

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #2,510 of 2,863
I'm waiting for the Schiit Pi network streamer.

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #2,511 of 2,863
I just received my new Asgard 3 with ES9028 DAC module. I bought it for desktop convenience over my battery powered DAC/Amps.

I am using my Fiio M11 Plus as the source through a ddhifi USB C to C cable. It sound’s excellent with Aeon Noire, DT1770 and HD600.

Plenty of power, without A/B comparing it seems similar in power output in high gain to ifi Diablo in Standard/Turbo. I actually thought it might be immediately more powerful than Diablo but on paper they are pretty similar I guess.

What surprised me was the total lack of noise floor on low gain with IEM and how big a difference there is between low and high gain.

Anybody concerned with the voltage output of the ES9028 module need not worry. I plugged in a Chord Mojo as the DAC and at its 3 volt line out it was marginally louder but at 4 clicks down to nearer 2 volts the volume was as best I could tell the same as the ES9028 module.

Only an hour in but very happy so far.

EDIT: Out of interest, following a comment here, I tried my iPhone into the Asgard USB-C via a ddhifi adapter and via an Apple CCK, no go on either, the ES9028 DAC is powered at least in part by the source and the power required is beyond what the iPhone allows.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #2,513 of 2,863
I just received my new Asgard 3 with ESS DAC module. I bought it for desktop convenience over my battery powered DAC/Amps.

I am using my Fiio M11 Plus as the source through a ddhifi USB C to C cable. It sound’s excellent with Aeon Noire, DT1770 and HD600 using the ESS module.

Plenty of power, without A/B comparing it seems similar in power output in high gain to ifi Diablo in Standard gain, perhaps Turbo. I actually thought it might be immediately more powerful than Diablo but on paper they are pretty similar I guess.

What surprised me was the total lack of noise floor on low gain with IEM and how big a difference there is between low and high gain.

Anybody concerned with the voltage output of the ESS module need not worry. I plugged in a Chord Mojo as the DAC and at its 3 volt line out it was marginally louder but at 4 clicks down to nearer 2 volts the volume was as best I could tell the same as the ESS module.

Only an hour in but very happy so far.
Congrats, the Asgard3 remains excellent for it's price as an 'entry level' amp.

Totally agree with you on IEMs, the A3 is fantastic with all of mine, including the notoriously finicky Andromeda. What are you using with yours?

Sep 28, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #2,514 of 2,863

Totally agree with you on IEMs, the A3 is fantastic with all of mine, including the notoriously finicky Andromeda. What are you using with yours?
Ignore the $$$, the Asgard 3 is NOT a starter amp.

Sep 28, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #2,515 of 2,863

I only have a couple of IEM. Shanling ME700 which I used today to test the noise floor.

The others are Shuoer S12 planars which take a lot more driving. I just plugged them in, silent on low gain, slight noise on high gain but high gain is miles to powerful for them anyway. Loud but listenable is low gain at 12 o’clock.

Both sound excellent on the Asgard.

Sep 29, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,518 of 2,863
What amps would you consider an upgrade from the Asgard 3?
Jotunheim 2 and Lyr+ are two options from the Schiit line. Jotunheim 2 offers a balanced output and Lyr+ offers the option to use tubes. And they both sound different then the Asgard 3 - however, I only have the Lyr 3 and haven't properly listened to the Lyr+ yet.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #2,519 of 2,863
What amps would you consider an upgrade from the Asgard 3?
I have a Asgard 3 and Modius AKM version, which is a great combo. The upgrade I made was to Jotunheim 2 and balanced throughout the chain.

For single ended output Asgard 3 is close, balanced I feel there is an appreciable jump when using Jotunheim 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back