Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #2,522 of 2,863
Crikey !!

I just paired new Asgard 3 with my Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open, fresh solid pads and Forza Audioworks cable with Viablue 1/4 inch plug …. they have never sounded so good.

I usually run the Mr Speakers on an ifi Diablo. When pushed hard there is audible distortion, I always assumed it was the Aeons objecting, it seems it is the Diablo struggling.

On the Asgard 3, high gain with the pot wound up into silly territory there is simply no distortion, go a bit further and I can feel physical pressure pulses from the bass, momentarily of course, still no distortion but a quick counterclockwise spin on the pot !!

Seems the Aeon do respond to power and the Asgard 3 delivers into the low 13 Ohms without raising a sweat.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2,525 of 2,863
From what I gather pure class A amps are a step up from the Asgard 3 compared class D, they tend to sound fuller and warmer. The only more or less affordable amp I've been suggested is the RebelAmp. I guess Jotunheim is the way to go, but I've heard it, and while it's an impressive piece of equipment, I just have more of an affinity to my Asgard.

That being said, I don't think I'lll be upgrading my Asgard 3. Like, ever. I know there are better amps with greater capabilities and even better sound, but not even close to this price point. This is only my opinion, but I feel the value finish line ends here. Everything above it just gives you less for what you pay.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,526 of 2,863
The V280 goes around 700-800 EUR used here in EU, they don't make them anymore. The new model would be the v340 I think, V226 is the successor of V200 if I'm not mistaking. Noteworthy is that the V280 adds a touch of warmth that makes it very enjoyable, the new Violectric models are a bit cleaner sounding. A used BHA-1 is also a recommendation but that is generally more expensive as the V280, at least here in EU.

The RebelAmp would be a sidestep at best imo. If you want to step up from Asgard 3, which in my opinion is very capable for its price and scales pretty well with better HP's, you'll need to spend considerably more. I'm not sure you'll find a major upgrade with a 400-600 USD/EUR MSRP amp, it will more come down on sound signature and preference maybe iso sound quality.

Another option is the Rupert Neve RNHP amplifier although that can just be a matter of taste but that is more transparent, cleaner highs, a bit holographic. There is a cheaper chi-fi clone called Rod Rain Audio RNHP that supposedly uses the same parts. Feedback online suggest it offers the same performance so might be worth a shot but that's just based on rumour.

If you're not afraid of tubes you can maybe have a look at Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amplifier, it costs 1198 USD new, not cheap but I've heard nothing but love from people who own it. For regular folks on a regular budget I think this can be an end game amp, same for V280. With these 2 amps you enter the next level of performance with noticeable better technicalities while still being somewhat affordable compared to other stuff. Beyond is where the gains vs benefits really become marginal and system synergy becomes critical.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #2,528 of 2,863
From what I gather pure class A amps are a step up from the Asgard 3 compared class D, they tend to sound fuller and warmer. The only more or less affordable amp I've been suggested is the RebelAmp. I guess Jotunheim is the way to go, but I've heard it, and while it's an impressive piece of equipment, I just have more of an affinity to my Asgard.

That being said, I don't think I'lll be upgrading my Asgard 3. Like, ever. I know there are better amps with greater capabilities and even better sound, but not even close to this price point. This is only my opinion, but I feel the value finish line ends here. Everything above it just gives you less for what you pay.
The A3 runs pure class A up to half a watt. Meaning all my cans never get out of class A with it. If you want affordable pure class A period, find a used original Asgard or Asgard 2. When Schiit did A3, they were dumping the A2s for less than $150 I believe.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #2,529 of 2,863
The A3 runs pure class A up to half a watt. Meaning all my cans never get out of class A with it. If you want affordable pure class A period, find a used original Asgard or Asgard 2. When Schiit did A3, they were dumping the A2s for less than $150 I believe.
Ohh yes I know. But they didn't give as much power out, right?

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #2,530 of 2,863
Ohh yes I know. But they didn't give as much power out, right?
OG and Asgard 2 put out up to 1 watt, much more than the Neve and some of the others

The Asgard 3 puts out up to 3.5 watts!

Oct 1, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #2,531 of 2,863
OG and Asgard 2 put out up to 1 watt, much more than the Neve and some of the others

The Asgard 3 puts out up to 3.5 watts!

DBFEC697-EFAD-4633-94B3-3DDE0F7BD005.jpeg

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #2,532 of 2,863
Oct 1, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #2,534 of 2,863
Yep. I still stand by my statement that for plenty of people the Asgard 3 is enough for life lol
I have just bought an Asgard 3 coming from several battery powered devices including an ifi Diablo that cost a great deal more than the Asgard.

The Asgard 3 with ES9028 DAC module is insanely good value and more than a match for even the Diablo in my opinion. Gobs of clean power into either low or high impedance loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back