Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #2,491 of 2,863
I have just ordered an Asgard 3 with the ESS DAC card for a nice simple all in one desktop solution for listening at my home office.
A nice simple but powerful DAC/Amp like the Asgard 3 with ESS card seems like a nice fuss free solution that will get a long way toward the performance and sound quality of much higher end gear at a fraction of the cost.
Anything I should be aware of or look out for with the Asgard 3/ESS card ?
No. I own the Asgard 3 with the ESS card, it was my first system, and it is fine. It is « a nice simple all in one desktop solution », and I would guess that you will be very happy with it.

(Actually, I have the multibit card. I was thinking that was the same as the ESS, but I see, it’s not. But even so, you will be happy with the ESS too, I would say)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #2,492 of 2,863
I have just ordered an Asgard 3 with the ESS DAC card for a nice simple all in one desktop solution for listening at my home office.

I can't be bothered with something more feature packed like the Fiio K9 Pro since a quick scan over thread for devices of that nature seem to be littered with comments about firmware issues. A nice simple but powerful DAC/Amp like the Asgard 3 with ESS card seems like a nice fuss free solution that will get a long way toward the performance and sound quality of much higher end gear at a fraction of the cost.

My most used/preferred headphones are Dan Clark Aeon Noire, Mr Speakers Aeon Open, DT1770 and HD600, all equipped with Forza Claire and GUCraftsman braided cables. On paper the Asgard 3 should be near perfect for all these. I may occasionally use Shanling ME700 or Shuoer S12 IEM, from what I read the low gain noise floor shouldn't be a problem.

Up to now I have mostly been using battery powered gear at my desk, Chord Mojo, iFi Gryphon and Diablo. I like them all a lot but want a good all rounder option that is plugged in and not reliant on charging at the end of every day.

No reported issues on this forum of which I am aware.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,494 of 2,863
Agreed. It was excellent when it was introduced, and it still is.
Mine has kept my upgradeitis in control for years now. What I like about Schiit and their budget DACs is that they are affordable and you can experience the new budget DAC releases without going broke. I've had the Bifrost and Bifrost 2 in my cart a few times but I never go through with the purchase. I know that either one would be a big upgrade but I listen to my Modi multibit and change my mind.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #2,495 of 2,863
I think the Modi Multibit was, and is, a game changer. I'm sorry to see it go. Any idea if they have another budget Multibit in the works?
It will be back! From the Modi page (mid down the description section):
Modi Multibit: The Most Affordable True Multibit™ DAC (orders suspended until back in stock, estimated mid 2023)

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #2,496 of 2,863

I can't be bothered with something more feature packed like the Fiio K9 Pro since a quick scan over thread for devices of that nature seem to be littered with comments about firmware issues. A nice simple but powerful DAC/Amp like the Asgard 3 with ESS card seems like a nice fuss free solution that will get a long way toward the performance and sound quality of much higher end gear at a fraction of the cost.

My most used/preferred headphones are Dan Clark Aeon Noire, Mr Speakers Aeon Open, DT1770 and HD600, all equipped with Forza Claire and GUCraftsman braided cables. On paper the Asgard 3 should be near perfect for all these. I may occasionally use Shanling ME700 or Shuoer S12 IEM, from what I read the low gain noise floor shouldn't be a problem.

Up to now I have mostly been using battery powered gear at my desk, Chord Mojo, iFi Gryphon and Diablo. I like them all a lot but want a good all rounder option that is plugged in and not reliant on charging at the end of every day.

The only surprise I got was that the ESS card doesn't get power from the Asgard3 itself, but requires the external USB source to provide power. This is OK for a laptop or iPad, but an iPhone cannot connect direct to the ESS USB without a dongle like this:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

... and a USBA-USBC cable, and a lighting cable.

So if you want to use an iPhone with your Asgard3E, then you'll have a dongle/cable spaghetti to deal with.

But otherwise it's a great all-in-one solution, I've got mine on my bedside table.

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #2,497 of 2,863
The only surprise I got was that the ESS card doesn't get power from the Asgard3 itself, but requires the external USB source to provide power. This is OK for a laptop or iPad, but an iPhone cannot connect direct to the ESS USB without a dongle like this:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

... and a USBA-USBC cable, and a lighting cable.

So if you want to use an iPhone with your Asgard3E, then you'll have a dongle/cable spaghetti to deal with.

But otherwise it's a great all-in-one solution, I've got mine on my bedside table.

OK that is odd.

I’ll be using a Fiio M11 Plus as a source for convenience, maybe a USB-C iPad in the future, or I will use a Mojo or Gryphon as the DAC occasionally so I should be fine.

I think the Modi multibit was the same, I just sold mine. The M11 battery would drain notably faster using the Modi than say a Mojo.

Many thanks for the heads up.

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #2,498 of 2,863
I bought the Asgard 3 and yesterday I received it.

The reason is I sold the rest of my hifi things because I dont need more with my megacomboburrito Bifrost 2+Euforia AE+Atrium, but I thought I needed a good afordable amp because I was wasting tubes life for things like gaming, youtube or just listening music while working.

So I went for the Asgard 3 and gosh... only one day using during work was enough to say this amp is extremely underrated as I dont see people recomending it with high end gear when you want something cheap.

With Atrium on high gain with the knob at 10 can gives you the 80% of Euforia, no joke. Also now is when I realized, the 75% of your hifi system quality depends on your headphone, then just a good dac (schiit multibit is holy grail for the bucks), an amp that can drive them and you are done.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #2,499 of 2,863
I bought the Asgard 3 and yesterday I received it.

The reason is I sold the rest of my hifi things because I dont need more with my megacomboburrito Bifrost 2+Euforia AE+Atrium, but I thought I needed a good afordable amp because I was wasting tubes life for things like gaming, youtube or just listening music while working.

So I went for the Asgard 3 and gosh... only one day using during work was enough to say this amp is extremely underrated as I dont see people recomending it with high end gear when you want something cheap.

With Atrium on high gain with the knob at 10 can gives you the 80% of Euforia, no joke. Also now is when I realized, the 75% of your hifi system quality depends on your headphone, then just a good dac (schiit multibit is holy grail for the bucks), an amp that can drive them and you are done.
I paid two hundred for my Asgard 3 and two-fifty for my Modi multibit years back so for under $500 a killer headphone system was delivered. What a deal!

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #2,500 of 2,863
It will be back! From the Modi page (mid down the description section):
Modi Multibit: The Most Affordable True Multibit™ DAC (orders suspended until back in stock, estimated mid 2023)
I'm surprised that they still advertise the Modi multibit with the Analog Devices AD5547. The lack of availability of that chip is the reason there are no more Modi multibit DACs available. I wonder if they're expecting more AD5547s next year or if they just haven't changed the wording for the description?

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,501 of 2,863
I'm surprised that they still advertise the Modi multibit with the Analog Devices AD5547. The lack of availability of that chip is the reason there are no more Modi multibit DACs available. I wonder if they're expecting more AD5547s next year or if they just haven't changed the wording for the description?
Two month ago the text was stock back in December 2022, now mid 2023. Maybe they expected AD5547 for December... and now.. wondering if that big delay could be they had to start a redesign with new chips because no choice, maybe the TI's one like happened with 2/64

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #2,502 of 2,863
Two month ago the text was stock back in December 2022, now mid 2023. Maybe they expected AD5547 for December... and now.. wondering if that big delay could be they had to start a redesign with new chips because no choice, maybe the TI's one like happened with 2/64
That's what I was thinking. An all new budget multibit DAC.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2,503 of 2,863
Mine has kept my upgradeitis in control for years now. What I like about Schiit and their budget DACs is that they are affordable and you can experience the new budget DAC releases without going broke. I've had the Bifrost and Bifrost 2 in my cart a few times but I never go through with the purchase. I know that either one would be a big upgrade but I listen to my Modi multibit and change my mind.
I actually bought the Bifrost 2 as an upgrade to the Modi Multibit for my speaker system, but I ended up returning it. I enjoyed the bass and midrange on the Bifrost 2, but the treble was just too insistent for me. (Please note that I am definitely in the minority on these forums by not preferring the Bifrost 2.)

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,504 of 2,863
. Also now is when I realized, the 75% of your hifi system quality depends on your headphone, then just a good dac (schiit multibit is holy grail for the bucks), an amp that can drive them and you are done.
Andrew Park on « the Headphone Show » YouTube channel said the same thing. He is a real headphones expert, and the amp / DAC part he doesn’t really worry about too much. The problem is at the level of interest he is at, great headphones, the prices start at around 1500 Dollars. The story starts there, 1500 Dollars. But to really be in it is around 3000 Dollars.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,505 of 2,863
I think the next Modi or Modius Multibit will use TI chips, but the price will definitely go up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back