Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,371 of 2,857
I use a Modius once in a while with my Asgard 3 and it's a great $200 delta sigma DAC in my opinion. My trusty little Mimby gets the most use too. I ordered a Modi 3E just because I want to see, hear actually, what Schitt can do with an ES chip. I had a Topping D50 and didn't keep it.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #2,375 of 2,857
Has anyone installed the MB DAC card himself in the Asgard 3? Thinking of buying a used unit and getting the card separately from Schiit to install myself, not sure how hard or easy it will be.

I couldn't find much info, except for a video installing a ESS card in Jot 2 and it looks to be a simple slot-in and screwing in 2 screws.

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #2,376 of 2,857
Has anyone installed the MB DAC card himself in the Asgard 3? Thinking of buying a used unit and getting the card separately from Schiit to install myself, not sure how hard or easy it will be.

I couldn't find much info, except for a video installing a ESS card in Jot 2 and it looks to be a simple slot-in and screwing in 2 screws.
Yes, I have done this with the ESS card, look for my posts from around late September last year,

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-asgard-3-impressions-thread.914012/post-16580549

My volume knob does not have a hex bolt to secure it, for this type just pull it straight off, you may have to apply a bit of force

I had to remove all of the screws from the chassis to be able to nudge the main board to a position where the card could actually seat into it properly.

Other than that it wasn’t much drama at all…

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #2,378 of 2,857
Guys, do you know which USB plug do the Asgards (shipping now with an ES9028 DAC) have? Since the DAC card itself has USB C, I'd assume it's type C now, even though the manual hasn't been updated.. Is anyone able to confirm?

EDIT: For anyone wondering, Tom at Schiit confirms it's USB C.
Isn't it USB-B to A?

"Please note this uses a USB-C input, so plan your cables accordingly."

Aha upgrades!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #2,379 of 2,857
Isn't it USB-B to A?

"Please note this uses a USB-C input, so plan your cables accordingly."

Aha upgrades!

Based on what I've heard from Schiit, the ES9028 version of Asgard has an USB-C port, so the old B to A cables (like the one Schiit carries) won't cut it. I also don't think there's a USB-C cable included with Asgard, so bottom line is one has to organize their own. Will be able to confirm in a day or two (I hope!), when my unit arrives :wink:

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #2,380 of 2,857
Based on what I've heard from Schiit, the ES9028 version of Asgard has an USB-C port, so the old B to A cables (like the one Schiit carries) won't cut it. I also don't think there's a USB-C cable included with Asgard, so bottom line is one has to organize their own. Will be able to confirm in a day or two (I hope!), when my unit arrives :wink:
Yes, the new ESS card has a USB-C port, welcome to 2022 Schiit! :wink:

There is no cable included, but if you are connecting another USB-C device to the A3, you already have a cable, right?

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #2,383 of 2,857
Anyone heard the LCD-XC through this amp? I have the A3 and considering the XC.
I have the LCD-XC (2021 model) originally powered with Asgard 3, Modius and stock headphone cable. For about 3 months I ran this setup until switching to a Jotunheim 2. With EQ sounds very good. Not a fan of the LCD-XC stock without EQ.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #2,384 of 2,857
I have the LCD-XC (2021 model) originally powered with Asgard 3, Modius and stock headphone cable. For about 3 months I ran this setup until switching to a Jotunheim 2. With EQ sounds very good. Not a fan of the LCD-XC stock without EQ.
Thanks, that seems to be the general consensus. I am mulling over some potential closed backs to gift myself for turning 40yrs. This model, the z1r and the hd820 all in the running maybe denon 9200 or th900mk2.

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #2,385 of 2,857
Thanks, that seems to be the general consensus. I am mulling over some potential closed backs to gift myself for turning 40yrs. This model, the z1r and the hd820 all in the running maybe denon 9200 or th900mk2.
My pleasure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back