Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
May 10, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #2,401 of 2,861
I started off with the Asgard 2 and I've been using the Asgard 3 since it was released. I found a NM in the box Drop THX 789 amp for $120 and went for it because I've always been curious about this amp. Since I bought it I haven't turned my Asgard 3 on. I use it with my Modi multibit and Modi 3E mainly. But my Modius and Modi 3+ have synergy with it. I'll never part with my Asgard 3 but the 789 is fun alternative.
I use my Schiit Modius with my Asgard 3 and THX789 (balanced), some headphones open up with the THX789, but for Single Ended the Asgard 3 is better by far for me.

My Grado SR325X is best with the Asgard 3.

May 11, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #2,402 of 2,861
I have used the Asgard ᴨ, Hifiman Sundara phones withEffect Audio Eros 2+, Bespoke cable for two years. I exist in a hapy flow state with it constantly. It is powered down only for electrical storms etc. It is a very great and transparent set.
I am considering adding a Node 2i to replce my lptop as a source. I live in the radio stream. Can it be configured sans smart-phone? I dont use one. pfM 3.1
The app will run on your laptop.

May 11, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #2,404 of 2,861
What usb c cables are you guys using for the es9028 dac card for the Asgard 3 btw? Can you guys give any recommendations?
Amazon basics, monoprice, good quality for data... audiophile usb is a waste of money

May 11, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #2,405 of 2,861
I use my Schiit Modius with my Asgard 3 and THX789 (balanced), some headphones open up with the THX789, but for Single Ended the Asgard 3 is better by far for me.

My Grado SR325X is best with the Asgard 3.
I've read that the 789 isn't a true balanced amp. Do you have any information on this. I'll have to go back and look through thread here on the 789. I skimmed through all 166 pages and saw this topic come up.

May 11, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #2,406 of 2,861
I've read that the 789 isn't a true balanced amp. Do you have any information on this. I'll have to go back and look through thread here on the 789. I skimmed through all 166 pages and saw this topic come up.
From Darko Audio:
The 789 gives us XLR inputs and a 4-pin XLR headphone out, but is it really balanced throughout? THX engineer Andrew Mason advises: “The signal path internally is fully differential throughout (per Putzeys), but is NOT truly balanced in a few sections.

May 11, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,407 of 2,861
Amazon basics, monoprice, good quality for data... audiophile usb is a waste of money
Don't agree with this sentiment, although I'm not going to go any further than to say that I've seen marked differences and improvements with high-end USB cables in my 2-channel system. USB cables using different conductors, separating (or doing away with) the 5v power connector, clearly affect the noise levels and sonic characteristics.

May 11, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #2,408 of 2,861

Some of those cables are really pretty low quality. Sure, you can get good cables under those brands but, you end up paying almost of what it would cost to get a really good brand name cable. Personally, I have had really great luck with the Anker brand when I need high data rates or needed to charge at higher voltage and amperage levels.

Don't agree with this sentiment, although I'm not going to go any further than to say that I've seen marked differences and improvements with high-end USB cables in my 2-channel system. USB cables using different conductors, separating (or doing away with) the 5v power connector, clearly affect the noise levels and sonic characteristics.

Totally agree. The ones with good isolation on the individual wires will have better signal quality.

May 12, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #2,409 of 2,861
Some of those cables are really pretty low quality. Sure, you can get good cables under those brands but, you end up paying almost of what it would cost to get a really good brand name cable. Personally, I have had really great luck with the Anker brand when I need high data rates or needed to charge at higher voltage and amperage levels.

Totally agree. The ones with good isolation on the individual wires will have better signal quality.
It's digital so as long as the cable isn't broken you are going to be fine.

May 12, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #2,410 of 2,861
It's digital so as long as the cable isn't broken you are going to be fine.
Exactly

RCAs and speaker cables make a difference to a point, but more than $20-30 for USB is a waste.

May 12, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #2,411 of 2,861
Over the truly tiny distances between your PC and the DAC in question, there is no way the digital signal deteriorates in any noticeable way. Especially in any way to notice sonically.

You can be excited about new cables, but there's no objective proof they're anything more than emotional/psychological comfort. I buy my better quality cables with this exact mentality. I buy them just because I like them, not because they make a difference.

May 12, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #2,412 of 2,861
I am likely going to regret chiming in here, but here goes. First I will admit I do not have much experience with USB for audio. All other cables including SPDIF digital, I have experimented with countless numbers of them the last 23 or so years. Pricing of cables ranging from $50 to $20K. This is within the context of Home audio, HT and headphone rigs. In my experience the more revealing a system or gear is the more cables matter. In some instances can transform a good sounding system to amazing. Or can veil and close in the sound stage, or make the system too analytical, etc, etc. Aside the electrical properties based on design/geometry, all the different components in the cable also matter and effect sonic reproduction.

I have an Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2 and a Modius. From my experience, all of the above Schitt gear are sensitive or resolving enough to respond to cable changes, mods and tweaks.

If you believe otherwise cool. My 2 cents and just sharing.

May 12, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #2,413 of 2,861
I am likely going to regret chiming in here, but here goes. First I will admit I do not have much experience with USB for audio. All other cables including SPDIF digital, I have experimented with countless numbers of them the last 23 or so years. Pricing of cables ranging from $50 to $20K. This is within the context of Home audio, HT and headphone rigs. In my experience the more revealing a system or gear is the more cables matter. In some instances can transform a good sounding system to amazing. Or can veil and close in the sound stage, or make the system too analytical, etc, etc. Aside the electrical properties based on design/geometry, all the different components in the cable also matter and effect sonic reproduction.

I have an Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2 and a Modius. From my experience, all of the above Schitt gear are sensitive or resolving enough to respond to cable changes, mods and tweaks.

If you believe otherwise cool. My 2 cents and just sharing.

Hey thanks for this and everyone else who shared their opinion on this. I do believe that cables matter too.. And the main reason I'm asking this is because the new 9028 dac card uses USB c and most of the brands that I've tried sells USB A- B cables, so thinking if I should get a asgard with the mutlibit card or the 9028.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,414 of 2,861
Hey thanks for this and everyone else who shared their opinion on this. I do believe that cables matter too.. And the main reason I'm asking this is because the new 9028 dac card uses USB c and most of the brands that I've tried sells USB A- B cables, so thinking if I should get a asgard with the mutlibit card or the 9028.
New Multibit card not available until December... some deals in closeout on Schiit website.

May 12, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,415 of 2,861

Users who are viewing this thread

Back