Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,206 of 2,857
Just checking, anyone else Asgard 3 get mad hot on the bottom right side? I was actually thinking of putting my Bifrost 2 on top of my Asgard 3, as most of the heat of the Asgard 3 is dispersed on the bottom right, at least for mine. With the Bifrost 2 underneath it heats up the top so much I can hardly put my hand on it.
Same, gets hot but not that I cannot touch it. Mine is also on 24/7. For the next two months I probably will have the Asgard 3 stacked so I got ISO-Puck minis to put between the DAC and amp like in the picture. The added air gap allows the amp more room for heat to dissipate. Positive other side effect there was a slight improvement in micro detail. I would not recommend placing a DAC on top of the Asgard 3 unless they are spaced apart. You will be blocking the vent holes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2,207 of 2,857
Same, gets hot but not that I cannot touch it. Mine is also on 24/7. For the next two months I probably will have the Asgard 3 stacked so I got ISO-Puck minis to put between the DAC and amp like in the picture. The added air gap allows the amp more room for heat to dissipate. Positive other side effect there was a slight improvement in micro detail. I would not recommend placing a DAC on top of the Asgard 3 unless they are spaced apart. You will be blocking the vent holes.
Agreed. The bottom is gonna heat up regardless of placement, but blocking the venting holes is gonna spell trouble in the long run. Spacing your stack is a good option.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #2,208 of 2,857
Volume knob just pulls off, then there is a thin bolt that needs to be removed. The first time I removed the knob took a bit of force, was very tight. Subsequent removal was easier but still tight. And the obvious 4 small screws on top of the cover.
It just pops off :)
Yes, it does, many thanks!

As I went about trying to fit the ESS DAC card into the 8-pin socket, I couldn't find any way to do this with the position of the card up against the back of the A3 chassis, so I went ahead and removed the rest of the back and bottom screws. This made it very easy to move the main PCB about 5mm to be able to plug the card into the socket. Then it was just a matter to reposition the PCB assembly back into the chassis and put all the screws back in reverse order. The volume knob made a satisfying 'click' sound when i put it back on the bolt, nice!

I tested out the card with a USB-C cable out from my MacBook Pro, works fine.

But now I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong with my iPhone. I assumed a Lightning-USBC cable would work but it doesn't. I've got the venerable Camera Connection Adapter, do I need that and a USBA-USBC cable instead?

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,209 of 2,857
Yes, it does, many thanks!

As I went about trying to fit the ESS DAC card into the 8-pin socket, I couldn't find any way to do this with the position of the card up against the back of the A3 chassis, so I went ahead and removed the rest of the back and bottom screws. This made it very easy to move the main PCB about 5mm to be able to plug the card into the socket. Then it was just a matter to reposition the PCB assembly back into the chassis and put all the screws back in reverse order. The volume knob made a satisfying 'click' sound when i put it back on the bolt, nice!

I tested out the card with a USB-C cable out from my MacBook Pro, works fine.

But now I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong with my iPhone. I assumed a Lightning-USBC cable would work but it doesn't. I've got the venerable Camera Connection Adapter, do I need that and a USBA-USBC cable instead?
Ok so I’ve got a USB A to USB C cable, but now the iPhone gives an error

Cannot Use Accessory
Schiit Unison Universal Dac: This accessory requires too much power.

Which makes no sense, the Asgard is of course plugged in and powered on at the wall….

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,210 of 2,857
ok, so I’m having a go at removing the cover of the Asgard to install the DAC module.

however, there is no hex screw holding the volume knob in place, A3 is not like Jot2 in this way at all.

how else do you remove the volume knob?
There is on mine, but maybe they’ve changed it. I bought mine shortly after they were introduced.

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,211 of 2,857
Yes, you need the Lightning to USB camera adapter to make the iPhone a USB host.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #2,212 of 2,857
Yes, you need the Lightning to USB camera adapter to make the iPhone a USB host.
Yes, I have the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter":
https://www.apple.com/au/shop/produ...6961826a1b3d933364a0e698f091d6a5a757cb4afe6f3

If I use this adapter with my phone, it works fine with a USB-A -> USB-B cable to my Bifrost2.

But with a USB-A -> USB-C cable to my Asgard3, I can tell that the iPhone recognises the DAC, but the phone gives an error:

Cannot Use Accessory

Like I said, this is odd because the 'accessory' in this case is the Asgard3 which of course is powered at the wall...

Do I need a different Lightning-USB-A adapter, maybe this one?
https://www.apple.com/au/shop/produ...6961826a1b3d933364a0e698f091d6a5a757cb4afe6f3

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #2,213 of 2,857

If I use this adapter with my phone, it works fine with a USB-A -> USB-B cable to my Bifrost2.

But with a USB-A -> USB-C cable to my Asgard3, I can tell that the iPhone recognises the DAC, but the phone gives an error:

Cannot Use Accessory

Like I said, this is odd because the 'accessory' in this case is the Asgard3 which of course is powered at the wall...

Ask Schiit

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #2,214 of 2,857
Ask Schiit
Thing is, I did ask Schiit before I bought the card, whether the Lightning-USBC cable would work.

They never responded, so ask again I will...

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,215 of 2,857

Cannot Use Accessory

I must have read too quickly and misunderstood you that did not have a camera adapter at all, sorry.

The “requires too much power” message means that the iPhone sees the DAC but that it draws too much power (from the phone) and the iPhone therefore refuses to connect (to save battery).

Apparently the ESS Unison DAC card draws more power for the USB receiver through the USB cable than the Bifrost2 does.
I also have the smaller CCA you linked and (as you) successfully use it to connect my iPhone to my Bifrost2.

I guess it would be possible that the other CCA could work as it allows to connect a charger for power, if that power also goes to power the connected accessory.
Another thing to try is to connect the phone (by the CCA) to a powered USB hub and then connect the Asgard’s card to that.

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #2,217 of 2,857
Just a thought... When you installed the card, did you make absolutely sure that the 2x5 pin connector down to the main board was seated properly? If you are one pin off either front to back or side to side, the DAC card may not be getting power. This might result in the problem that you are seeing - if the board is not getting power up from the main board because the connector is not seated properly, it may be trying to get power via the USB connector...

Might be worth a look to double check that your board is installed properly.

I've done a few of these cards and Asgard3s and Jots and I always look closely with a flashlight to make sure that it is connected properly and then hook it up and run it before I put the cover back on.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #2,218 of 2,857
Just a thought... When you installed the card, did you make absolutely sure that the 2x5 pin connector down to the main board was seated properly? If you are one pin off either front to back or side to side, the DAC card may not be getting power. This might result in the problem that you are seeing - if the board is not getting power up from the main board because the connector is not seated properly, it may be trying to get power via the USB connector...

Might be worth a look to double check that your board is installed properly.

I've done a few of these cards and Asgard3s and Jots and I always look closely with a flashlight to make sure that it is connected properly and then hook it up and run it before I put the cover back on.
Yes, I was very aware of getting the pins to line up with the socket on the main PCB. I actually had to remove all of the back and bottom screws from the A3 to be able to move the PCB away from the back of the chassis, which then allowed me to line the DAC card up with the socket properly.

I knew it was working after I put the A3 back together, as I was getting sound no problem from my MacBook using USB-C direct.

The issue I was having was with iOS not supplying enough power over USB. I don't know about the older 4490 and MB cards, but the ESS one definitely does require power over USB, which neither my iPhone XS nor last-gen iPad Air could supply adequately.

As recommended to me by Schiit, I bought the newer USB 3 Camera Adapter, which allows for additional Lightning power source, and it all works fine. The only problem I have now with it is the missus doesn't like "all those cords" on the dressing table.... :)

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #2,219 of 2,857
I have the same issue, although I'm not sure if it's because of poor ventilation and/or listening on high gain, my experience is sorta inconsistent so I can't really vouche for that. But I can confirm the bottom gets much warmer than the top.
There are a row of transistors on the right side that are thermally connected to the bottom plate with a thick heat pad. This results in a line of heat just behind the front right foot giving temps when I last measured in the 120degF range. All perfectly normal by design.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back